Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wlambing
    Commander
    • Nov 2020

you're safe, David! Those were the one's we gave back to the IC men and QMs! ;)

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

So, the toothpaste gets washed away? or is it just a thickener? More words, I need more words to understand your greatness and to interpret the meaning of these revelations.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
          So, the toothpaste gets washed away? or is it just a thickener? More words, I need more words to understand your greatness and to interpret the meaning of these revelations.
          Tom! You intolerable pain in the ass!

I needed a method of spraying a random spackling of a water-soluble masking agent against a surface to be spray painted. Once the spackling was laid down and dry, a mist coat of 'weathering' paint was sprayed on and dried (only seconds with a heat-gun). A wet sponge or cloth is used to scrub away the water-soluble toothpaste mask spots under the 'weathering' paint. Thus, revealing the undercoat color as small splotches disturbing the uniformly of the just applied overcoat.

A much better way than flicking the spatter via toothbrush!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0038.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	169173

I'll also use this gun to apply un-cut gelcoat to the LOTUS tools when the time comes to lay up GRP hull parts for Darrin, Bob, and myself.

Something a bit like this, but with ... ah... a bit more fines!

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	169172

Film at Eleven!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

O.K., so a slightly different way you taught me with toothpaste which was just dab it on directly with a course brush.......Are you just trying to be fancy and spray it on? I'll be your pain in the a$$ anytime wink wink LOL
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Davjacva
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Nov 2022

Name:	image001.png
Views:	222
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	169181
              So today in Merriman's shop while looking for that one and only screwdriver that fits a 6-32 phillips head screw...okay, I didn't find it because somebody reorganized...but, I found THIS behind his crayon/ toothpaste/ paint collection. Had a note on it, 'Install in Moebius Seaview'...? Wonder how it's going to go 88mph and juice up 1.21 gigawatts?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                O.K., so a slightly different way you taught me with toothpaste which was just dab it on directly with a course brush.......Are you just trying to be fancy and spray it on? I'll be your pain in the a$$ anytime wink wink LOL
                That's right, Tom. Just a different application means of toothpaste masking. That and the fact that instead of sloppy brush strokes, the masking goes down as randomly sized small dots of chaotic pattern -- which was the ideal objective. The speed and ease of application is significantly better than hand-dabbing an application tool.

Now that I'm finished with this tool and have successfully practiced on the test-article, I'll start below waterline weathering on my long suffering 1/96 SKIPJACK (must be at least the 50'th I've put together over the decades)​

Name:	DSCF9612.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	169183

Name:	DSCF9617.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	169184

Name:	DSCF9619.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	169185

Name:	DSCF9637.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	169186

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davjacva

Name:	image001.png
Views:	222
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	169181
                  So today in Merriman's shop while looking for that one and only screwdriver that fits a 6-32 phillips head screw...okay, I didn't find it because somebody reorganized...but, I found THIS behind his crayon/ toothpaste/ paint collection. Had a note on it, 'Install in Moebius Seaview'...? Wonder how it's going to go 88mph and juice up 1.21 gigawatts?
                  **** you, Jake! And stop snooping around my shop when I'm napping!
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

QUOTE=He Who Shall Not Be Named;n169171]

A much better way than flicking the spatter via toothbrush!

[/QUOTE]​

Last edited by redboat219; 02-02-2023, 01:13 AM.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Airbrush Speckle Technique

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

LOL. FINALLY!... I beat you into submission, Steve. Took long enough.

(For everyone looking over our shoulders: Steve Neill is very much an 'artist', in every complementary meaning of the word. Look up his **** -- decades of amazing stuff. R/c aircraft, submarines; flying rockets; public domain; commercial; and motion picture-TV work).

OK, Steve, I'll relate the entire, lurid story tonight. Should be good for a few LOL's.

David
                        Illustrator Wanna-Be
                        OK, Steve. Sorry for the delay. Here's the story:

From age ten I knew I was going to build models professionally for the movies; just about every free moment of my life -- through school and a career in the Navy -- was spent studying and practicing the Craft.

One vital aspect of the discipline is learning how to draw, both technical and sketch type work; stuff you can work from and stuff to tickle the creative juices of you and the client alike.

One such exercise was to draft a very famous SF movie spacecraft, 'The Ark of Space', and make the presentation in an ersatz 'general arrangement', three-view, orthographic format. Complete title-block, technical authentication blocks and listing of associated drawing numbers. Very official looking. That project done during off-hours aboard the USS YOSEMITE on a Mediterranean half-year deployment -- something to add to my ever-expanding resume; my door-opener for the day Ellie and I would march into Burbank and demand a high-paying model-builder's job.

Later, I added axillary views to illustrate suggested model building techniques -- all that condensed into an article for one of the many model magazines I was contributing to at the time.

Professionals either publish, or they perish! Mom taught me that. And she was right.

Much to my surprise, that drawing recently found its way into the pages of Bill Warren's magnum opus of SF movies, KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES. I don't know if he's aware that the drawing is merely a work of fan-art and not from the Parmount files. Well... cat's out of the bag now!

And in time we did get some movie and TV work -- and that portfolio, featuring sketch, conceptual, orthographic, and story-board work got us the jobs. A life well planned.

Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-02-2023, 10:26 AM.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

David,

I am sorry for jumping your build blog! But I do need your advice on my 2.4 MHZ receiver.

Name:	NAUTILUS 4.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	169210Click image for larger version

Name:	NAUTILUS 5.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	169211

Do I need to install a 3/16"X 1" brass tube on coaxial cable install? Or can I eliminate it and just follow your photo that is listed below. None of my receivers have the button clip, so I need to solder my coaxial cable to the receiver as the photo above shows. Curiosity! What purpose does the brass tube serve anyway?

Name:	NAUTILUS 6.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	169212

Thanks for your help and advice on this David.

Rob
                          "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                            David,

I am sorry for jumping your build blog! But I do need your advice on my 2.4 MHZ receiver.

Name:	NAUTILUS 4.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	169210Click image for larger version

Name:	NAUTILUS 5.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	169211

Do I need to install a 3/16"X 1" brass tube on coaxial cable install? Or can I eliminate it and just follow your photo that is listed below. None of my receivers have the button clip, so I need to solder my coaxial cable to the receiver as the photo above shows. Curiosity! What purpose does the brass tube serve anyway?

Name:	NAUTILUS 6.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	169212

Thanks for your help and advice on this David.

Rob
                            I know not the function of the brass tube. I've operated systems without it, and the radio link works.

Proceed as I've instructed.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

What purpose does the brass tube serve anyway?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Thank you very much David! Your advice is always the final word, and it is most appreciated!!

Rob

Comment

Working...