Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• mike27283
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Aug 2020

Grand Poobah and Sensei! Dave - thank you! That is high praise coming from you - good to hear and worth all the abuse... hahahaha! Looking forward to the next visit as always .. they are always enjoyable; I learn a tremendous amount from you...not only when it comes to model-building but also as a mentor. Even us Navy O-6's need a reality check every now and then. I'll try to get your coffee right next time as well...and ensure the Diet Mountain Dew is correctly chilled.

Albacore 569 - the wires you see lead to the running lights, masthead light and sub ID beacon. The mast head light and sub ID beacon turn on when the masts raise and turn off when they lower via a microcontroller (Parallax BS2) and magnetic relay that senses position. The contraption you see in the sail is driven by a linear servo in the wet (CorrosionX) which allows the antennas to raise first followed by the fairings...much more accurate. Looks pretty awesome as the antennas come up, followed by the fairings, and then the masthead light pops on and the Sub ID Beacon starts blinking (3 pulses per second, 3 seconds off, repeat).

Type XIII...yep. Torpedo's (using the standard cell phone vibration motor, magnetic relay, small lipo and Bob's timer circuit (5-second run time)) with working shutter doors. Yes ... the torps will be buoyant. FPV (thank you Dave). Microcontroller for leak detection, PW loss, running light flashing indications for detection of a leak (and subsequent emergency blow), PW loss, and PULSIN /PULSOUT to drive multiple servos from one RCVR output (saves space and allows better functionality). I may have room in the sail to raise and lower the snorkel. I'm toying with the idea of incorporating drone tech to allow for telemetry, datalogging, auto-routines...I'll try to attach a system architecture diagram I cam up with...I've already completed a proof of concept for a 2.4GHZ RCVR feeding a Parallax BS2 that will allow the sub to run autonomously based on PW sampling from a RCVR output mapped to a 3-position switch on the transmitter. Many thanks to Rick Galinson on his insights here and Dave for link-up and 'encouragement' or should I say lashings?

If your going to build a model - then build a model. I feel challenging myself to make each one as accurate as possible forces me to learn and develop skills I did not possess previously - and they look damn cool! I'm learning from this ongoing experience in this hobby, from Dave, and others on this forum - it takes a LOT or reps and sets; the correct tools, techniques and guidance to get it right. I've been 'stalking' Dave for close to 15 years now and and am incredibly fortunate to have him close by and considered a friend. Besides ... somebody needs to go over there and conduct the 'health and comfort inspections'.

Comment

• mike27283
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Aug 2020

RC Sub system architecture design concept...

RC Sub System Architecture.pdf
          Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by mike27283
            RC Sub system architecture design concept...

RC Sub System Architecture.pdf
            Holy smokes!!! I just looked that block diagram over. **** me!

Now, we've all been flash-banged with other newbie's bragging about all the wonderful features they are going to build into their first r/c submarine. Idiot, all-thumbs, knuckle-draggers who soon find that they're not qualified to walk-the-walk. Soon these braggards are never heard from again -- their half started work eventually appearing on eBay or an estate sale.

MIKE AIN'T THAT GUY!

Just like his first r/c submarine (SKIPJACK not ALBACORE ... let me enjoy the moment, sir), with its retractable mast array, blinking lights and enhanced fail-safe features -- what he's proposing with this new project -- won't happen till everything works in breadboard and then brutally crammed into his much-abused 1/35 Type-23 kit.

Mr. Bratley makes things work.

I like that!

David
            Task Master
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Hi David,

Your take on the below photo of a Lathe?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	168768

My wife (bless her heart) purchased this 6 in 1 tool systems as a gift, and it just so happens to have this lathe as one of the tools! It says it will do wood, and light metals such as alum. copper and some brass! It's only a 12-volt unit. I do have a speed control that I could wire into it to get a little more performance. Is there any hope for this or is it just a toy?

Thanks for your input!

Rob
                          "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Hi David,

Your take on the below photo of a Lathe?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	168768

My wife (bless her heart) purchased this 6 in 1 tool systems as a gift, and it just so happens to have this lathe as one of the tools! It says it will do wood, and light metals such as alum. copper and some brass! It's only a 12-volt unit. I do have a speed control that I could wire into it to get a little more performance. Is there any hope for this or is it just a toy?

Thanks for your input!

Rob
                            Play with it, and if you find that a lathe is useful to your work, go out and buy a real one.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Thanks David,

That really seems to be good sound advice! Your input is always appreciated!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                                Thanks David,

That really seems to be good sound advice! Your input is always appreciated!

Rob
                                Instead of 'sweet-talk', meaningless pap, and the typical 'it's all good' bull-**** others will salve you with, I'll give it to your straight, without varnish.

Clarity is a virtue. The real world is indeed black/white; yes/no; true/false; and right/wrong. There is no maybe. There is no try. There are no multiple solutions to a specific problem.

Absolutes are never achieved but should be strived for. Anything else is the road to chaos (hello, 2023).

That thing is a kids toy. Learn from it what you can, and when you're ready, spring for a big-boy toy.

Micro Lathe II Archives - TAIG Tools

CENTRAL MACHINERY MINI LATHE MODEL 93212 7 INCH X 10 INCH 120V 60 HZ 3/4 HP | eBay

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...