Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Since we are talking about camera boats and stuff, I bought a boom last year with the idea of getting out over the edge of the water at sub runs (like Cohutta). On the boom I will add a color wedge that will help give a visual of the camera's viewing range so captains can drive their subs into the frame. On your boat, maybe have something similar. It will give you and the other captains a clue where the camera is pointing. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9369.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	181623
    Great idea, Tom. Let's all keep grinding out this stuff -- some of it has potential for work-up into functional hardware. Back to the shop... gotta make more sawdust before lights-out.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Since we are talking about camera boats and stuff, I bought a boom last year with the idea of getting out over the edge of the water at sub runs (like Cohutta). On the boom I will add a color wedge that will help give a visual of the camera's viewing range so captains can drive their subs into the frame. On your boat, maybe have something similar. It will give you and the other captains a clue where the camera is pointing. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9369.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	181623

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    I realize this is not submarine related, but all of a sudden wood working has popped into the discussion! My wife and I had a wood working business for some years, and we worked it by ourselves, just the two of us. Just as you and Ellie did. I just want to show off a couple of my many creations!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor Wood Designs 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	181616 Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor Wood Designs 2.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	181617 Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor Wood Designs 3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	181618

Thank you for allowing me to post this up. I being a part of the Nautilus Drydocks group, and Dive Tribe is my only real link to the outside world (because of health issues)

Thank you David! I hope it was OK to post this here!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Hell yes! Marriage -- a good, sound, solid marriage -- is a partnership in all senses of the word. When it works, the man and woman revel in their differences and embrace their mutual attributes. The way it should be. You two so skillfully have demonstrated the full scope of what a marriage is supposed to be.

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	181620

Name:	IMAG1239.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	181621

Wonderful stuff, Rob. Post away my friend.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I realize this is not submarine related, but all of a sudden wood working has popped into the discussion! My wife and I had a wood working business for some years, and we worked it by ourselves, just the two of us. Just as you and Ellie did. I just want to show off a couple of my many creations!

Name:	Taylor Wood Designs 1.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	181616 Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor Wood Designs 2.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	181617 Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor Wood Designs 3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	181618

Thank you for allowing me to post this up. I being a part of the Nautilus Drydocks group, and Dive Tribe is my only real link to the outside world (because of health issues)

Thank you David! I hope it was OK to post this here!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    I mentioned the idea to Tom and I think Steve H and Steve O at the 2022 Subfest of building a barge. It would be a combination barge, a push boat, rescue boat, camera boat. It would have mounts on the sides and bow above and below the waterline for a GoPro type camera. Was thinking of using telescoping K&S brass tubing, square or round, that can be removed and repositioned at any of the locations on the bow or sides. Even thought of having a round tube protruding from the center of the boat with a GoPro mount under the boat and above the waterline, inside, use a servo and gear mechanism to rotate this camera. Maybe have something on deck to indicate the camera direction, if you can see that far. The bow would have removable cushioned push posts to push a boat. The aft end was to have insertable rods that would stick out 90 degrees to the sides that could 'catch' a stranded surface model and push it along. They would be reversible port and starboard. There would be underwater LED lights, port, starboard and bow for night operations as well as LED lights for surface illumination much like my SS Miss Belmar party boat. On deck it would have a springer tug type of 'house' or control station. It would have the appearance of a naval yard tug. It would be about the same size as what you are doing but my construction method would be different than yours.

At one time I even thought of the bow camera being on a mechanism that could move the camera from above the waterline to below the waterline by RC, but my genius mechanical engineering friend passed away and that seemed to ambitious anyway.

Well that is my ambitious idea of a project I still want to build but I have many other projects now and in the future to build, some I might not get to. Your's David is a great start and I will learn your good and bads from what you are doing. Kudos to you for doing this non-submarine not your project type project!
    Great minds think alike, Ken. Other than your, "...have the appearance of a naval yard tug" horse****, the two of us are pretty much on the same page.

Yup. I keep jumping into it like a kid in a candy store. With Ellie around I always had that firm, rational voice of reason to tell me to stand-down whenever I got stupid. No more. ("No, round-eye, finished the other stuff first"). These days I'm like a steam-engine with a busted over-speed governor.

David

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    I mentioned the idea to Tom and I think Steve H and Steve O at the 2022 Subfest of building a barge. It would be a combination barge, a push boat, rescue boat, camera boat. It would have mounts on the sides and bow above and below the waterline for a GoPro type camera. Was thinking of using telescoping K&S brass tubing, square or round, that can be removed and repositioned at any of the locations on the bow or sides. Even thought of having a round tube protruding from the center of the boat with a GoPro mount under the boat and above the waterline, inside, use a servo and gear mechanism to rotate this camera. Maybe have something on deck to indicate the camera direction, if you can see that far. The bow would have removable cushioned push posts to push a boat. The aft end was to have insertable rods that would stick out 90 degrees to the sides that could 'catch' a stranded surface model and push it along. They would be reversible port and starboard. There would be underwater LED lights, port, starboard and bow for night operations as well as LED lights for surface illumination much like my SS Miss Belmar party boat. On deck it would have a springer tug type of 'house' or control station. It would have the appearance of a naval yard tug. It would be about the same size as what you are doing but my construction method would be different than yours.

At one time I even thought of the bow camera being on a mechanism that could move the camera from above the waterline to below the waterline by RC, but my genius mechanical engineering friend passed away and that seemed to ambitious anyway.

Well that is my ambitious idea of a project I still want to build but I have many other projects now and in the future to build, some I might not get to. Your's David is a great start and I will learn your good and bads from what you are doing. Kudos to you for doing this non-submarine not your project type project!
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; Yesterday, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Oh boy....let the sh*t storm begin. Grabbing my popcorn. LOL

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    Trying to be a wood worker are we?
    Trying?

TRYING???

****ING .... TRYING??????????

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Trying to be a wood worker are we?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by DrSchmidt
    What size of wood strips do you use to reinforce the plywood sheets?
    half inch X half inch. Had to rip inch X half inch to get it. NEVER EAZY!!!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    When your digit is thicker than the nail.
    I sincerely hope you're talking about the digit on my hand...

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    What size of wood strips do you use to reinforce the plywood sheets?

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    When your digit is thicker than the nail.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

Working...