X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
    What does a City/republic need a submarine for, let alone two of em?
    Deterrence. Their main fear after independence was an invasion by Malaysia.

Originally posted by Albion
    Singapore actually packs a lot of firepower, they have more tanks, fighters, (even if they have more located overseas than in sgp - cant train here) attack helicopters etc etc, than any of their neighbours . You know big car small!!!
    Yeah but it's like fighting CQB armed with a .50 cal sniper rifle.
    Last edited by redboat219; 05-02-2013, 10:42 PM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
      Deterrence. Their main fear after independence was an invasion by Malaysia.
      All Malaysia needs to do is invade at lunchtime!

Sorry Ah, its makan ah, cannot fight Ah
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Ha ha ha.

Can't blame 'em. Looking forward for some BBQ Stingray myself.:biggrin:
        Will be going there next weekend. Know where I can get the Bronco Type XXIII?
        Last edited by redboat219; 05-03-2013, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Redboat, its more like the Big Daddy Roth cartoon of the guy in the full blown hot rod sitting on an tiney island with a single palm tree. CQB with a Barrett .50 is simple. You dont have to breach the building. Just knock it down piece by piece from a mile away while the spotter does all the work. Samo samo with the N Korean gazillion man army. Where they gonna go with it, without kicken up a dust trail? Last guy that thought he had a million man army that would do the trick, lost half of it on the road out of Kawait. It really aint about how much of what you have, its how you use it.
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-03-2013, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
            Redboat, its more like the Big Daddy Roth cartoon of the guy in the full blown hot rod sitting on an tiney island with a single palm tree. CQB with a Barrett .50 is simple. You dont have to breach the building. Just knock it down piece by piece from a mile away while the spotter does all the work. Samo samo with the N Korean gazillion man army. Where they gonna go with it, without kicken up a dust trail? Last guy that thought he had a million man army that would do the trick, lost half of it on the road out of Kawait. It really aint about how much of what you have, its how you use it.
            Not the same
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Japanese sub moving out................or in.Click image for larger version

Name:	Japanese Mochisio.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	77161
              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Gentlemen.............and I use the term............ loosely. Here is your daily picture. I hope that it sparks much controversy and discussion. Cheers
                Click image for larger version

Name:	RMS remote mine hunting system.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	80952Click image for larger version

Name:	RMS Zoom.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	80953 Just like the other mini subs out there, someone is going to want to make a model of this one. Its the RMS , remote mine hunting system. Underwater robot in other words. Probably like the unmanned Predator drones except they hunt mines.

Comment

• Scott T
                  Commander
                  • May 2009

Looks like some sort of mast and antena folded on its back.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

looks to be an air-breathing semi-UUV parent craft with towed side-scan fish tucked in. Mine hunter? Whatever it is, its for survey of the mucky bottom. That pump-jet suggests a 10-15 knot capability.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Anybody want to try their hand in building say a 1/12th scale model?
                      Subsurface runner no ballast tank. ADFs to control the foils
                      Bet it'll be a sight to see zipping along the pond with just the tip of the mast cutting thought the water at high speed.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Not just for hunting mines either. Anti submarine missions and special ops surface surveilance and underwater mapping as well. The mast on the top of the RMV folds up to act like a periscope with sensors. The teather viehicle deploys with the underwater sensors for detection and survey of the bottom. The control system is in a portable container on the deck of the support ship, not unlike a Preditor van. On the warship depoyment the control is in the destroyers CIC and stowage is abeam the hanger bay. There are several other aplications that are classified, but one can only immagine what they are. I would think a 1/8 scale model with 2 cameras, underwater and surface.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

I'm a bit curious why the front end isn't hydrodynamically-shaped? Would it cause too much drag?

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

Saw this article in February 1988 Popular Science magazine about a small robotic submarine equipped with a night vision camera for surveillance work.

Popular Science gives our readers the information and tools to improve their technology and their world. The core belief that Popular Science and our readers share: The future is going to be better, and science and technology are the driving forces that will help make it better.
                            Last edited by redboat219; 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

the AN/WLD-1 is still in development and is having some problems. I dont think that the craft has a hydro drag problem with the fore end due to the fact that its got the teather craft drag and the snorkle wake issues. Diesel powered, can be pre programmed and be an actual no hands on Drone, or remotly powered from land or service vessels and warships. I would suspect it could be deployed by aircraft as small as a C-130 or MH53 super stallion. Might not be air dropped directly, but airlifted to a launch site. They use a crane at the NSWC research center at Key West. They also have an old Higgens boat with a big davit to launch out the bow door pull them out with that they use sometimes. I have a friend that works there, Ill ask him whats up with the blunt bow. The specs are LOA 23' Hight, pilon to masthead 22' Draft 6'8" surfaced 14'10" submerged. Cummings 355hp diesel powered, no bateries to charge for efficency and endurance. almost 300 gal of jp-5 for fuel. The pod weighs 12,800lbs, the AN/AQS-20VDS towed body wieghs another thousand lbs. Be cool if I could get some scematic drawings of oneClick image for larger version

Name:	NAVY_USV_WLD-1_RMMV_Testing_2010_lg.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	80972A tuff government job having to play with a 7.8mil$ RC submarine all day in the Florida Keys, but somebody has to do it
                              Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-08-2013, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Kool Dudes! Here we have the Bremerton. Nice, birdseye view
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Bremerton.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	80973Click image for larger version

Name:	Bremerton zoom.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	80974

Comment

Working...