X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

On the foredeck of the unknown WWI sub, it apears to be offset. The port side extends outward just aft of the forward hatch. Perhaps the torpedo tube or tubes are positioned amidships belowdeck outside the pressure hull. Might be a big clue indicating who's and what boat. It is indeed a good resolution shot for the period. Camera was steady and the sea was calm

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Drydock picture of Courageous.Click image for larger version

Name:	Courageous low.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	81564
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Albacore in colorClick image for larger version

Name:	Albacore color.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	81636

Comment

• modelnut
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jun 2011

Can you imagine what modelers would say if a model kit of the Albacore was released with that sort of uneven hull texture? It goes to show how idealized models are. Doesn't it?

- Leelan

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Yep, I think the old girl has been around the block a few times.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by modelnut
              Can you imagine what modelers would say if a model kit of the Albacore was released with that sort of uneven hull texture? It goes to show how idealized models are. Doesn't it?

- Leelan
              Uneven, scratches, and dents in my models are supposed to be there, it is all detailing, weathering, wear, and tear. :-)
              T
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• modelnut
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jun 2011

All true. I was saying what would be the reaction to getting that right out of the box.

- Leelan

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by modelnut
                  All true. I was saying what would be the reaction to getting that right out of the box.

- Leelan
                  You make a good point, Leelan. I would appreciate a model with 'oil-canning' and such -- not too hard to render with todays CAD/CNC produced product. Would the majority go for such realism.....?

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Yes, as a quick answer and depends as a conditional answer. If oil canning is done correctly and mostly accurately i would like having that additional detail. However, In the model industry the motto seems to be more is better. Look at rivets in subs. An Asian company that was making a Type VII had put rivets on that looked huge. Same overdone principal is done with weld lines. Is it bad to have slightly enlarged features to bring out a mood? no. the Revell Type VII has larger rivets on it, but it looks realistic. i know the arguement of what can you actually see in true scale can come up, but i won't go there. So, my conditional answer is if done correctly, not just for the sake of having it, I Lloyd like oil can detail.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Oct 2011

I think the percentage of the modelers who go beyond the box in detailing is pritty small to begin with. The individual modeler who adds his own concept of what details he wants to present, generally uses artistic license to create an illusion of what ever the subject is to be more pronounced. The demand for a model with the "oil canning" most likely wouldnt be cost effective for the small market. The "oil canning" term for that particular illusion, however, is loosly used. Its actually flat plates over a compound bent surface. Picture a 70s Disco Ball that someone has sprey painted with a can of flat black bed liner. If someone would want to "plate" or "tile" their boat, Its time consuming of course, but simple. Pin stripe tape comes in every color and width. Cut squares appropriate to scale for the boat your working on.
                      Last edited by Von Hilde; 06-16-2013, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Its happened again, front end loader took out my Internet cable. Hope to be back up soon, dudes.
                        Last edited by greenman407; 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Back Up, and none the worse for wear. A Twister or Water Spout appeared out in Old Tampa Bay Briefly, right off the coast of where I work, long enough for me to get out the old trusty camera.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 012.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	81724

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Great photo (you should send that to your local news)! Miss your input around here, hope they get your internet up soon.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Thanks, yep we are back up and running. The local news people said that this was one of many today. My Head Mechanic sent one to Paul Delagato(Bay News Nine)

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brazilian Tapajo.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	81755Click image for larger version

Name:	Brazilian Tapajo close bow.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	81756

Comment

Working...