X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

We used to have an engineer person(girl) from Russia that I used to translate the drawing that came with my Oscar from the Ukraine. She has moved on so I have to use Google Chrome. What a pity.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

The first relevant subs for the Norwegians were the HMS Talent, a T class, obviously, that then became the Zwardvis 1.Click image for larger version

Name:	boat_zwaardvis1_torquie_bay_1958 HMS Talent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	83530Click image for larger version

Name:	boat_zwaardvis1_aft_deck_1956 HMS Talent.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	83531Click image for larger version

Name:	group_zwaardvis1_class_zeeleeuw1_maidstone_rotterdam_19xx.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	83532Click image for larger version

Name:	HMS Talent rear zoom.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	83533
      Last edited by greenman407; 10-01-2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Then there is Zeeluee1(spelling). It started out as USS Hawkbill.Click image for larger version

Name:	zeeluee 1  USS Hawkbill.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	83547Click image for larger version

Name:	boat_zeeleeuw1 USS HAWKBILL 1.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	83548Click image for larger version

Name:	boat_zeeleeuw1_USS Hawkbill.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	83549Click image for larger version

Name:	zeeluee 1  USS Hawkbill.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	83547

Comment

• modelnut
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jun 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	Two docked.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	83552

I wonder how long they were at sea to get that weathered.

- Leelan

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Its amazing what salt water can do. We have steel forms lining some of our seawalls. You can just kick them and once proud strong steel just crumbles into giblets.

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
              Its amazing what salt water can do. We have steel forms lining some of our seawalls. You can just kick them and once proud strong steel just crumbles into giblets.
              It's the perfect electrolyte! And all that corrosion could have been prevented by an anode.
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Name:	boat_zwaardvis2_bergen_harbor.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	83556Click image for larger version

Name:	boat_zwaardvis2_launch_rotterdam_2jul1970_1.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	83557Click image for larger version

Name:	boat_zwaardvis2_launch_rotterdam_2jul1970_2.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	83558Click image for larger version

Name:	boat_zwaardvis2_launch_rotterdam_2jul1970_4.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	83559

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

It doesnt take long for anything metal to oxidise around here. It doesnt even have to be in the water. I had my stainless steel grill on the dock and after the non stainless parts, like the steel on the castors for the wheels or internal brackets and whatnot actually disintigrated after less than two years and the rust spread to the stainless. I could have put a zincplate and wired it to all the nuts and bolts of all the dissimular metals but thats a little much. I do use zinc in the keels of my aluminium boats and use to zinc chromate the aluminium inside the hull, but now I just buy the aluminium sheets already annodised. It saves a few steps, but I havent splashed any new boats yet to see if it makes any differance. I was thinking the weathering is caused by oxidation which means air is the main catalyst, so it indicates a long time above the surface, in the weather, and that only happens when in port, since they dip as soon as they clear the main ship channel buoys and stay down till they get close to port. A little experiment for those who live by or on the sea, Take a strait pin and put it underwater for four or five days and it will remain shiney silver. Take another and just get it wet and put it on a plastic plate. Next morning the one on the plate will have rusted and leave a platina on the plastic. BTW this is a good way to give a model a real platina look if you have the patience. I also use sea water on display models for weathered effects. You can get the same effect with regular water if you put salt in it. You just immerse the model and let it air dry. It works best on flat finishes, and is good for armor and aircraft or ships as well.
                  Last edited by Von Hilde; 10-04-2013, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

So, your saying take the hull of your model sub, immerse it in salt water and let it air dry. After the weathering process is finished, should we then clean the hull of Salt residue or will it matter to the plastic or GRP?

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Name:	boat_tijgerhaai2_sail_uss_as33_simon_lake_1993_4.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	83565Click image for larger version

Name:	Launch closer.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	83566Click image for larger version

Name:	Norwegian sub armatures.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	83567

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

air dry after imersion, the salt residue may be built up more in some places and be somewhat crusty, if you use tap water that has been salted. You get a more even effect with the sea water. If there is too much build up in an area that you dont want, I use a dry flat brush and dust it off. The plastic is covered by the paint on the exterior and wont be effected. Plastic's worst problem is UV breakdown not so much as salt. The inside of the hull, may be a different matter, If its a RC model then I think the interior salt would be detromental to say the least. I think with a working model, I would just Paint the weathering with liquitex acrylac and matt clear. You figgure if your running the boat in the pool or lake, all that salt will be gone soon as you splash. I had a diorama that sat in a hobby store window for 4 or 5 years of an unpainted "Black Magic" M-4 Sherman, molded in OD and the morning sun had bleached everything on the window side. Looked real on the faded side, except fot the krackled decals

Comment

• NavyICman
                          Lieutenant
                          • Jun 2010

Greenman,

You said in an earlier post "The first relevant subs for the Norwegians were the HMS Talent, a T class, obviously, that then became the Zwardvis 1." I believe you meant the Dutch. the Norwegians first had the Kobben from 1909 to about 1933. It was re-named the A-1 sometime around 1913. They never had a T class, They had 2 ex-brit boats (P41 and HMS Varne) during WWII, The Brits sold them 4 V class submarines after WWII, and they operated 3 Type VII's that were war prizes for several years. The most notable one was U-995 now on display in Laboe. Of an interesting note. The Norwegians have a cabin on an island out in the Fjord that their submarine base near Bergen sits on. They call it the periscope hut, great place to go party. They had ripped the wardroom areas out of one of the U boats, the wardroom area out of one of the V-boats, and a wardroom out of one of the Kobben class 205's that were operated well into 2000's and put them in there. So much history and nostalgia there, plaques from all of the US boats that have visited, a working periscope, and 2 swim-out mines that form the benches for a table......Had a great time, don't remember leaving...or getting back to the boat!
                          Last edited by NavyICman; 10-05-2013, 09:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Yep, your right , I have trouble with my "N" words, you know , the Netherlands and Norwegian. I knew it was one of them for sure.

Comment

• NavyICman
                              Lieutenant
                              • Jun 2010

No problem, I have always wanted to do a Walrus, so I knew all the pictures......I just got back from being in Norway a couple of months ago, learned almost all that info while being entertained at the periscope hut.

Tim

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Your having too much fun.

Comment

Working...