GATO! (It has begun)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

1. It's a Klystron Relay -- provides faster than light communications between your transmitter and receiver ... oh, wait. No. Never mind. I'm OK now...

It's the BEC. The ****-ant little BEC in the ESC does not have the ass to provide the current all those servos and other devices pull off the receiver bus. The one you circled is rated for 5-Ampere's, the one in the ESC is good for only 2-Ampere's. Take the red wire of the ESC lead off the plug, this will isolate the ESC's BEC from the big BEC (otherwise they get into a pushing match against each other, sending a lot of noise to the other devices).

2. You use only two poles on that switch, the center one and one of the end ones. Duh! a simple series circuit between battery and battery lead that goes aft through the conduit tube and into the after dry space.

3. No. Cut away that big white, ugly Tamia connector and replace it with the red Dean's connector (male to the four devices all wired in parallel -- ESC, LPB controller, Lipo-Guard, and big ugly BEC; female to the after end of the power cable that runs back from the battery). Observe polarity on everything or die a horrible death.

4. The ADF2's 'pitch' side receives the stern plane servo lead and the lead from the ADF2 runs to the receiver ch-6 port (flaps). The Y-lead connects to the 'fail-safe' side of the ADF2 -- one plug makes up to the ballast sub-system servo, the other plug makes up to the LPB's controller. The input lead from the ADF-2 'fail-safe side makes up to the Lipo-Guard. The input lead of the Lipo-Guard makes up to the receiver ch-4 port.

5. ARE YOU NUTS!!!???..... NO!!!!! You got a full plate as it is, lets not get stupid!

You people!!!!

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
      Captain
      • Sep 2012

Howsabout the flux capacitor????
      Everybody overlooks the damned flux capacitor!! (LOL)

cg

Comment

• matthewnimmo
        Commander
        • Dec 2011

@David: thanks for the info! So i have a few more questions based upon your responses

1) so, i remove the red lead from end of the connector that fits into receiver from the ESC? But what do i do with exposed wires on the big BEC that doesnt have a connector on it. You said that the lipo guard connects to the big ugly BEC

2) yeah i used my volt meter to determine which poles to use on the switch, but my question is. What would be the best way to connect the main power cable to the switch, the switch to the battery, and the battery to the power cable. Guess i could cut one of the red dean connectors in half and attach each separate connector to a single wire?

3) what is the LBP controller that you speak of? Im sure im going to hit myself as soon as you tell me lol
        ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by matthewnimmo
          @David: thanks for the info! So i have a few more questions based upon your responses

1) so, i remove the red lead from end of the connector that fits into receiver from the ESC? But what do i do with exposed wires on the big BEC that doesnt have a connector on it. You said that the lipo guard connects to the big ugly BEC

2) yeah i used my volt meter to determine which poles to use on the switch, but my question is. What would be the best way to connect the main power cable to the switch, the switch to the battery, and the battery to the power cable. Guess i could cut one of the red dean connectors in half and attach each separate connector to a single wire?

3) what is the LBP controller that you speak of? Im sure im going to hit myself as soon as you tell me lol

1. Yes.

The red and black wires from the BEC are the power input wires -- they are soldered to the Dean's male plug in parallel with the Lipo-Guard, ESC, and LPB controller red and black wires

2. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	90388Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0028.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	90389

3. The MPC -- attached to the back-side of the LPB motor

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
            Commander
            • Dec 2011

Ok, so is this diagram correct then? The red sections are the Red Dean connectors
            Click image for larger version

Name:	SimpleElectric.jpg
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	90401

1) Any type of fuse work?
            2) Are you soldering directly to the switch? Can't really tell from the pictures you have (the pics are great, but i can't see the arrangement behind the cap)

Thanks again,
            ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Very close. The fuse should be attached between the battery and the switch on the positive side. As I look at it, that should work. Here is a drawing David made a while back, I modified to show fuse in.

Name:	David_Wiring_Modified.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	90405
              This drawing is not correct for the BEC. You will not be using the BEC from the ESC. So the RX connector from the ESC to the receiver, will need the red cable to be removed or cut. The dedicated BEC, that you have, will need to get tied in.
              Last edited by trout; 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Scott T
                Commander
                • May 2009

(neg)Black wire from battery to switch pole(center tab).
                Then black wire from switch pole (side tab) too input side of fuse block.
                Black wire from output side of fuse block too (-) BEC.
                (pos) Red battery wire too (+)BEC.
                I think that's right? Isn't the electron flow going negative to Positive? So the fuse should be in the negative lead?

Scott T
                Last edited by Scott T; 03-11-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ok, so is this diagram correct then? The red sections are the Red Dean connectors
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]26499[/ATTACH]

1) Any type of fuse work?
                  2) Are you soldering directly to the switch? Can't really tell from the pictures you have (the pics are great, but i can't see the arrangement behind the cap)

Thanks again,
                  1. 15 Ampere's, slow-blow type

2. You got the switch connections wrong. Run the black wire from the battery, through the Dean's connector to the center pole of the switch. Run another length of wire from one of the two poles either side of the switch body, then through the strain-relief block, to the fuse holder (if used), then down through the conduit tube. Run the red wire from the battery, through the Dean's connector, through the strain-relief block, then down the conduit tube. The way you have it in your drawing, you're paralleling across the switch terminals -- the switch will not work

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Name:	230 Revell Gato Submarine.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	90413
                    Kind of like this.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                      Commander
                      • Dec 2011

Sodering to the f*cking red dean's is a myth .... i managed to get one end done but i cannot for the f*ing life of me get the damn soder to stick to the other end of the dean connector ... filed the PoS, washed it, talked nice to it......nothing but burnt fingers/ a crabby wife/and 2 hours lost.

tempted to try some other connectors besides those unless someone has a suggestion.

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Trick is flux.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

Good point, are you using paste flux or acid?

Acid is only way to go, but be sure to clean after.
                          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I use deans connectors for all my battery connectors, bar the very tiniest models, excellent. Never used anything other than multicore solder, occasionally an extra dab of rosin flux to help wet the joint. The key is you need a decent soldering iron, minimum 40 watt (a good 40 watts at that), else the connector draws the heat too quickly.

I have never felt the need to use acid fluxes on electrical wiring, I save that for the brasswork.
                            Last edited by Subculture; 03-12-2014, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sodering to the f*cking red dean's is a myth .... i managed to get one end done but i cannot for the f*ing life of me get the damn soder to stick to the other end of the dean connector ... filed the PoS, washed it, talked nice to it......nothing but burnt fingers/ a crabby wife/and 2 hours lost.

tempted to try some other connectors besides those unless someone has a suggestion.
                              What a puss! Not enough heat.

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                                Commander
                                • Dec 2011

Im using 60 watt iron. And my solder has a rosin core and it is still a *****

Comment

Working...