X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewnimmo
    Commander
    • Dec 2011

GATO! (It has begun)

So, as posted earlier on I think trout's thread of being scared ****less about taking on this challenge with his build (after seeing his troubles), I've decided to carry on with my build anyhow. I officially started on the 1st of this year with cleaning downstairs to prep for the area that I'll be working in. Below are the first pictures of the sub's hull being assembled.

The hull didn't have too much of a bow in it, so that was a nice surprise. This morning I removed the tape and finished gluing those areas. Tonight I should have some time to continue:)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	101551Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	101552
    ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Welcome again and I look forward to your build! Glad you took the plunge....at times you may not think that you are glad, but keep an eye at the finish line - which is what I am doing. And if you can learn from my mistakes (and I do a lot of them) then my posting has served a purpose. Class has begun....
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Great! Another builders thread! I hope that you do well, and we will be watching with great interest. Welcome!
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• matthewnimmo
        Commander
        • Dec 2011

@WHomever:

So, reviewing the video that has been included with the kit (yes, i've watched them all before even starting and going through them a 2nd time as i go through the model), I've noted some of the products needed to complete this sub. One of those products was the putty that David mixed (blue stuff) and filled in any holes/etc with. That stuff sets up in like 5 minutes correct? Well, were can i find it? Any place that is well known like a Lowe's/Home Depot (think it automobile related so i don't think i'll find it there) that i can get the stuff at?

Also, i was looking at the testors "model putty" that one might see in a grey tube beside the red tube of model glue at any Hobby shop; but was wondering how fast does that stuff dry as it doesn't say...anyone used that before?

Thanks,
        Last edited by matthewnimmo; 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM.
        ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Hobby shop primers, paints, adhesives, putties, and fillers are designed to be safe, not useful. Get your filler and Nitro-Stan from your local automotive refinishing supply house.

Caswell sells the Evercoat line of fillers -- buy there FIRST, damit!

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

matthewnimmo,

You can get Evercoat here: http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/evercoat1.html or google it. I have not used testers "model putty" (if it is the one I am thinking about) in years, no decades....no help there.
            In one of David's Cabal reports, he says that bondo is fine....David do you still stand by that? I have also been told that the Easy Sand will work as well (a little more economical).

Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
              Commander
              • Dec 2011

LOL...alright, got it ... so i'm assuming that the Poly-Flex is what i need to get as that's what you used a lot of in your video's David? The other stuff from that link, i don't think i need for this model?

Actually, while i'm at it (and i don't mind getting the stuff from caswell if they have all that i need) the acid needed for the white metals and any of those other products as david mentioned that i'd need for this model? Is there a sticky on the forums for these products?
              Last edited by matthewnimmo; 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• beeryboats
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jun 2011

Welcome! Let the fun begin. I got the Rave filler from Caswell and it works great, and fast! It's kinda neat that it will go to a puddy state that lets you trim it with a blade before it sets. One other tip is don't screw up like I did on cutting the hull apart. Find the right cutting wheel and goooo sllooooww.

Jay

Comment

• Aug 2008

Get the Rage filler, good stuff. Poly-Flex is fine, but I only used it because it was at hand. Use the stuff I use and you can't go wrong.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                    Commander
                    • Dec 2011

That's exactly what i'm going to do David.

1) rage stuff for most of the work it seems (the blue puddy in the videos i'm assuming)
                    2) did you use the metal stuff at all for the white metals in filling in the bumps/etc?
                    3) also, for getting the white metals ready for smoothing out with the above stuff in number 2. Can i use vingar to soak them in? If so, how long would you suggest?

Thanks again!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Only use putty, filler and primer on the white metal after it has been pickled.

The ideal acid is the diluted Ferric Chloride you get from an electronics supply house -- used to etch metal clad circuit board material. If that's not available, then soak the work in vinegar overnight, or warm up the vinegar and soak the work in it as you agitate it occasionally. The Ferric chloride works in seconds, the vinegar takes hours.

Rage is perfect for our work, but the other two-part fillers offered by Evercoat will do.

Metal stuff?

Stop screwing around, let's assemble this thing!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                        Commander
                        • Dec 2011

lol...i plan on doing more work on the model tonight, just trying to get my ducks in a row before hand with these consumables.

So, found some evercoat rage ... but every autobody supply place just looks at me like i'm crazy when i ask about Nitro-Stan. So, few questions about that stuff.

1) I think i know the answer to this; but going to plead ignorance anyhow. Why use this stuff over the rage? don't they do the same thing? I think the answer is that the nitro is quick to apply and used for small spots (but maybe i'm wrong).

2) I can order the stuff online, which i may just do; but is there an equivalent to that stuff that I may have an easier task of finding locally?

Thanks,

Comment

• Aug 2008

The Nitro-Stan is an air-dry, lacquer based toch-up putty goof for only filling scratches and the like. You use the two-part Evercoat filler (your kit of Rage) for re-contouring and seam filling jobs.

I think the 3M red touch-up putty (some box stores have the stuff) is pretty much the same formula as the Nitro-Stan. Check it out.

Hobby-store putties are crap.

Go get 'em, Tiger!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ADDINGTON
                            Lieutenant
                            • Sep 2008

David made me a Nitro-StanFan long ago, right about the time I was throwing all of my Bondo products into the workshop circular file.
                            I have no 3M experience but recently was pressed to try the 'Bondo' Glazing Putty on styrene and it was suprisingly good, virtually all the qualities I get from NS. There's nothing like the good stuff, but this isn't bad at all, and easy to find.
                            -Kerry

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                              Commander
                              • Dec 2011

Progress:

Last night I assembled the bow, I had to use some tape as these pieces were slightly warped and not fulling touching for a good weld. This morning I removed the tape and finished off the weld as everything turned out well from last nights drying. I should be cutting out access points within the bow tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	65862Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	65863Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	65864Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	65865

Comment

Working...