Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewnimmo
    Commander
    • Dec 2011

Awesome, ok, so now i'm to the point of cutting out the superstructure and about ready to bond the stern and bow; but i do have a few questions.

1) the bow planes that i made my pin holes (1/16") that's where my 1/16 brass rod that i need to purchase comes in correct? Or was that a part or parts of the kit that i might have missed somewhere?
    2) Before attaching the bow, do i need to bond the bow planes/linkage/mechanizm in place before doing so? In the video Dave is shown just tack welding the part in place ... but suggested to leave it loose just incase of adjustments.
    3) So, i noticed that i have two pairs of bow plane struts (the first being the ones supplied by the model kit that have the hooks, and the second contained in the conversion kit ... that don't have hooks). Which pair should i use, i already made my holes in the model ones since i didn't think i had the resin pair?
    4) Lastly, I noticed that I have (what seems to be) two bell cranks for the bow planes? Is the second a spare or does that go somewhere else ( i just can't think of where at this moment ... even after reviewing all the videos before starting my build). And of course ... related to question number one....does this need to be in place and locked down before bonding to the hull?

Thanks gang!
    ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by matthewnimmo
      Awesome, ok, so now i'm to the point of cutting out the superstructure and about ready to bond the stern and bow; but i do have a few questions.

1) the bow planes that i made my pin holes (1/16") that's where my 1/16 brass rod that i need to purchase comes in correct? Or was that a part or parts of the kit that i might have missed somewhere?
      2) Before attaching the bow, do i need to bond the bow planes/linkage/mechanizm in place before doing so? In the video Dave is shown just tack welding the part in place ... but suggested to leave it loose just incase of adjustments.
      3) So, i noticed that i have two pairs of bow plane struts (the first being the ones supplied by the model kit that have the hooks, and the second contained in the conversion kit ... that don't have hooks). Which pair should i use, i already made my holes in the model ones since i didn't think i had the resin pair?
      4) Lastly, I noticed that I have (what seems to be) two bell cranks for the bow planes? Is the second a spare or does that go somewhere else ( i just can't think of where at this moment ... even after reviewing all the videos before starting my build). And of course ... related to question number one....does this need to be in place and locked down before bonding to the hull?

Thanks gang!
      1) You cheap so-and-so! Come up with your own damned brass wire!

2) You can permanently bond the retract mechanism any time, but I suggest waiting till everything is in place and working as a system before permanently bonding the mechanism into the forward hull. Only with the torque tube in place and hooked up to the tilt-arm will you know if the vertical position of the mechanism is right or not.

3) Not 'struts'. Operating shafts! Use the resin ones because they have the off-set to the bow plane pin foundation needed to translate the planes correctly so they fold up nice and tight when retracted.

4) That other bell-crank goes on the ass-end of the retract mechanism torque tube. You put an iron 'ball' fitting (a Du-Bro product, part of their elbow connector kit) at the outboard end -- it makes up to the interlink magnets off the swing-arm. It's secured with a set-screw so can be move around and adjusted

I have spoken, so let it be written!
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
        Commander
        • Dec 2011

LOL!

1) Awesome will do:)
        2) K, I will wait on this:)
        3) derrr...yeah that's what i had in my head, but typed the wrong thing. I noticed that those shafts (the resin ones) have a smaller diameter than the 1/16" drilled ones I produced....so obviously I need to redrill those ... or am i making those pins too big?
        4) Ok ... oh crap that brings up another questions then about the stern....does all of that need to be in place (rudder, planes, bell crank, etc,etc) before i do the final bond to the hull?

Thanks again super Dave!
        ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

3) Yes. bore those holes out bit looser, a .063" bit if you have it. If not, take a length of that brass wire, chuck it up in the drill, file the tip to a point and a flat on the side (at the tip ... duh!) and use that as a boring bit. The burr raised as you ground the flat will extend enough to twist away a non-interference bore for the 1/16" wire.

I are smart! Me Torpedoman!

4) No. You can slap that dude on any time.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
            Commander
            • Dec 2011

Ok, a lot more work done over the weekend:

1) Bow planes assembled and pin holes created.
            2) Bow plane mechanism seems to be in a good place, but according to Dave's recommendation ... i'll wait until i get the dog bone in place before fully bonding him in.
            3) Stern pretty much completed (besides adding in the stern planes/rudders with pins/shaft).
            4) Sub assembled with tape (including deck) for outlining cuts for super structure removal.
            5) Cuts made (took some getting use to with the new saw blade...that thing is a beast ... but VERY small cutline ... i like).
            6) Now i just need to clean up the hull with some filing/etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	30.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	66320Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	66321Click image for larger version

Name:	32.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	66322Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	66323Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	66324Click image for larger version

Name:	35.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	66325Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	66326Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	66327Click image for larger version

Name:	38.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	66328Click image for larger version

Name:	39.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	66329Click image for larger version

Name:	40.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	66330Click image for larger version

Name:	41.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	66331Click image for larger version

Name:	42.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	66332Click image for larger version

Name:	43.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	66333Click image for larger version

Name:	44.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	66334Click image for larger version

Name:	45.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	66335Click image for larger version

Name:	46.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	66336Click image for larger version

Name:	47.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	66337Click image for larger version

Name:	48.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	66338Click image for larger version

Name:	49.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	66339

*next steps*

1) will file down that one propeller thats larger than the other.
            2) file down hull after structure cuts.
            3) Get 1/16 brass rod for making pins and add the bow planes to the bow (might wait longer on this as i still would need to paint the bow metal struts...might be easier to do seperately).
            4) of course continue following the video's for the other stuff:)

Comment

• matthewnimmo
              Commander
              • Dec 2011

off topic, last night i was watching an episode of "submarines: hidden hunters" from the discovery channel. Guess who I saw playing with a USS Alligator model?:) Super Dave is famous!:) That is a beautiful model Dave.

Comment

• Aug 2008

That was a few years back. Tim Smalley and I were commissioned to make and operate effects miniatures for the Discovery Science Channel. Here's some of that work:

Name:	ALLIGATOR-Smalley 007.jpg
Views:	2
ID:	66341Click image for larger version

Name:	ALLIGATOR-Smalley 006.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	66342Click image for larger version

Name:	Wireless009.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	66343Click image for larger version

Name:	DC1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	66348Click image for larger version

Name:	DC9.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	66351Click image for larger version

Name:	DC13.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	66352

Name:	DC6.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	66350
                Attached Files
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                  Commander
                  • Dec 2011

Well lovely, this is my 2nd attempt to post this message (lost the first one...so trying it again)

More work over the weekend. Got the bow planes installed, the pins are still removable so i can adjust if needed. The bow mechanism is just tack welded so i can adjust as well if needed.

I opted to perform those harder cuts before gluing on the stern/bow. This allowed no visible cut line on the bow, and i was able to still put a knife through the cutline to ensure it was still open after glueing. For the stern, since i didn't have one of those saws (apparently hard as hell to find in this area....but whatever). I used the smallest drill bit i could find...and drillout the horizontal line and just use my knife to finish the cut....worked well!

Glued the bow/stern onto the main hull...also before that cleaned up my plastic removal mess from last weekend with filing/sanding ... think i'm ready for adding the deck now:)

Name:	50.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	66399Click image for larger version

Name:	51.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	66400Click image for larger version

Name:	52.jpg
ID:	66401Click image for larger version

Name:	53.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	66402Click image for larger version

Name:	54.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	66403Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	66404Click image for larger version

Name:	56.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	66405Click image for larger version

Name:	57.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	66406Click image for larger version

Name:	58.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	66407Click image for larger version

Name:	59.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	66408Click image for larger version

Name:	60.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	66409Click image for larger version

Name:	61.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	66410

Comment

• Aug 2008

Very good! Most of the grunt work is out of the way. And nice job on the bow plane retract mechanism.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                      Commander
                      • Dec 2011

Still here, just had some wisdom teeth removed and such ... should have an update pretty soon:) Essentially i've did the major cut on the model and it's looking good.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                        Commander
                        • Dec 2011

About 2 years later, but i'm still here. I hoping to have more progress posted soon. I had to put the hobbie aside for a bit.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Life sometimes gets in the way. Welcome back to the party, pal.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Yes, Matthew, Im always bumping into something that tries to derail me..............but I keep slogging along in my Goulashes. I want to build one of those Gatos too.
                            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                              Commander
                              • Dec 2011

So im big time into rc cars as well. I happen to have this new remote system that can tether to 20 different models car or boat. Im curious if it will work for my sub. Thoughts anyone? Ive included the link

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Sadly 2.4ghz sets do not work underwater. You require the older lower frequency sets.

Comment

Working...