Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewnimmo
    Commander
    • Dec 2011

So, i went through the filler part of the sub build. I used Rage for my filler of choice that i actually had purchased 2 years back. I naturally followed the directions as listed on the can, but realized that it was a mistake ... for a small go of the filler on the sub i wasted 90% of my first batch ... then i realized how dense i was being (this is for a model and nothing larger) so i drastically reduced the amount of material and hardner that i needed with each application.

So instead of just hitting spots that i thought needed to be filled i went ahead and applied some filler across the sub (for the most part there were area's that i thought needed it). Then i did the same for the bottom as well. In the end i was very pleased at it seemed to have produced a nice thin gab between the two sections (granted there are still some parts of the hull around that line that i see areas to fill (but i think that's further on the building process when i start applying any last minute smaller fills).

pics and more pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	89781Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	89782Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	89783Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	89784Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	89785
    ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• matthewnimmo
      Commander
      • Dec 2011

Last night, i finished the tabbing on the upper and lower parts of the hull. Pic of the lower hull is below. The fit is nice and tight; but there are some tabs on the upper hull that I need to sand down just a touch so that they fit better. Once I finish that task i think i'm ready for sanding down the model as described in the DVD set (Very thankful for the DVD set ... a lot of things about building these types of models are described within the set that i can and hope to apply to other builds after this one). Are there any other build/kits that have this type of DVD kit? Also, did i start off with a harder model lol (so far i've been enjoying) for my first build? What is considered to be the easiest kit to build?

Pic
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	89786
      ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• matthewnimmo
        Commander
        • Dec 2011

Another question, what type of flood templates should i use? I see 3 types and I think I've identified the set that was used within the video; but what is the difference between the 3 types?

Thanks again,

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

I think the easiest model kit to convert is the Bronco Type-23, yeah ... the GATO is a toughie! However, you're doing great on this assembly. Don't forget to overcoat all your filler with thin formula CA -- this will wick down into the porous material and adhere it to itself and to the polystyrene substrate. A very important step.

Got your cylinder in good shape. I'm working to convert a recent gas-type GATO SD to SAS for you. Will be done with it soon and off to you using the same packaging you provided with the returned unit.

Go with any flood-drain template you like -- don't get anal on me now!

Your next kit should be that new 1/72 Type-9 Revell of Germany just came out with. I'm finishing up the fittings kit for that now and will generate a WIP on how to convert that kit to r/c soon. The smaller Type-7 is also a nice little kit which has a fittings kit out there.

Just finish this GATO first! Good work so far. Keep at it, Tiger.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I think the easiest model kit to convert is the Bronco Type-23, yeah ... the GATO is a toughie! However, you're doing great on this assembly. Don't forget to overcoat all your filler with thin formula CA -- this will wick down into the porous material and adhere it to itself and to the polystyrene substrate. A very important step.

Got your cylinder in good shape. I'm working to convert a recent gas-type GATO SD to SAS for you. Will be done with it soon and off to you using the same packaging you provided with the returned unit.

Go with any flood-drain template you like -- don't get anal on me now!

Your next kit should be that new 1/72 Type-9 Revell of Germany just came out with. I'm finishing up the fittings kit for that now and will generate a WIP on how to convert that kit to r/c soon. The smaller Type-7 is also a nice little kit which has a fittings kit out there.

Just finish this GATO first! Good work so far. Keep at it, Tiger.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I agree with David. The Type XXIII is a much easier build. However you have already gotten past some of the big hurdles. Since your sub-driver is getting fitted with SAS you will skip the running out of gas to surface some of us have done ( looking at ground innocently).
              i love the Gato and know you will too. This is a great WIP!
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                Commander
                • Dec 2011

Ahh, thanks for the tip with the CA over the fillers ... i didn't know that and probably wouldn't have done that, but that does solve my frustration problems with very small filler spots chipping away from the model that i've had to redo.

Thanks for the update on the Sub-Driver (can't wait to see it!) Yeah, i've been studying up on the new SAS system since you mentioned that is what you will be sending my way. I noticed that in some pictures part of the upper hull is cut away for part of the SAS sytem, but that isn't covered in the DVD's ... so when it comes time to mess with that, I may ping you guys on some details:)

I'll be purchasing one of the templates then, but also i'm thinking about just going ahead and getting the remaining items i need to finish the sub now with one order (template, sub-driver eletronics kit, and the receiver). Which of the receivers would i need for this build? I'm assuming just one of the 6-channels would be fine http://www.sub-driver.com/electronic...receivers.html

Thanks again everyone,

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Have you chosen which sub you are going to model this one after or just make it the way you want?
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                    Commander
                    • Dec 2011

Trout, you're talking about the 3 types of variations yes? I haven't chosen that yet. Paint wise, it'll have seen the seas for a long while with a decent weathered look.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                      Commander
                      • Dec 2011

So, related to my previous question about what transmitter to purchase ( i think my answer is 75mhz now that i keep reading) but i don't see that the transmitter comes with the receiver? I guess I have to purchase that separately along with a crystal? I've never used these types of radios before ... i'm sure i'll figure it out.

Comment

• crazygary
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2012

Excellent build going here, Matthew! Very nicely done!

Will be following with much enthusiasm!!

Congrats on a job well done!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by matthewnimmo
                          So, related to my previous question about what transmitter to purchase ( i think my answer is 75mhz now that i keep reading) but i don't see that the transmitter comes with the receiver? I guess I have to purchase that separately along with a crystal? I've never used these types of radios before ... i'm sure i'll figure it out.
                          Oh! Sorry. Get the WFly 8-channel transmitter and receiver -- they come with crystals. Excellent r/c gear. I have two of them and are the easiest 'computer' transmitters I've found to set up and operate. And the receiver can be programmed to fail-safe on selected or all channels. Good equipment.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by matthewnimmo
                            Oh! Sorry. Get the WFly 8-channel transmitter and receiver -- they come with crystals. Excellent r/c gear. I have two of them and are the easiest 'computer' transmitters I've found to set up and operate. And the receiver can be programmed to fail-safe on selected or all channels. Good equipment.

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Matthew,
                              I was referring to one of the Gatos, which one are you going to build, i.e. USS Gato or USS Nimmo.
                              The WFly is the one I got when I first started and I have not seen a reason to change. I like it that much.

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                                Commander
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

M
                                Awesome, so does the 8 channel transmitter come with the receiver or do i have to buy that separately?

Comment

Working...