Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Posted a comment last night but it’s locked up in spam jail waiting approval

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Hey, you bum!

I use either a 1/16" o.d. length of brass tube or one of aluminum. I'll solder a short plug into the nozzle end of the brass, or glue in a short length of resin rod if the tube (stand-pipe is a more appropriate term in this application) is aluminum. In either case I first chamfer a divergent nozzle at the ass-end and follow that up with a small drill bit to bore out the throat of the nozzle. For a 1/72 sized weapon I'm happy with a .007" nozzle bore.

No, the gas sealing O-ring at the breech end is not enough to hold the weapon reliably in place. That's why the weapon makes use of a ball type 'stop-bolt' at the front end of the weapon to keep it securely in the launch till things cycle from battery to launch. I learned that lesson the hard way.

David
      I like the Al tube/Resin plug aka "Standpipe". Seems easy enough for a hack like me to do and replicate reliably

Bummer on the o-ring...hoping for something simple. Nothing worth it ever is...sigh. Gonna make me work.

Digging the butane fill. But how come Fart-lighting springs to mind?

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3947.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	145598Click image for larger version  Name:	008.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	145600
      Nice toy's, you shoulda been a dentist.

Wouldn't let ya touch me though.

Ed
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

[QUOTE=Monahan Steam Models;n145625]Posted a comment last night but it’s locked up in spam jail waiting approval [/QUOTE

Hi Nick-just copy and paste it to a new post-If you can delete the old one-do it or just wait till its approved and then delete one of them .

Yea you only get two tries at editing-I just wait till the next day to do any further editing.-hope all is well- BG

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Thanks for those tips BG. Wasn’t aware of the editing limit.

Hope all is well too!

Nick

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Lots going on, but feels like so much less without pics, right!? I'll try to remedy in the nearish future.

The T and S Class boats I took in from Dwayne Hill up in Canada got a thorough going-over and a new weathering treatment. Both boats are headed to a new home next week and will be featuring 2.4GHz control systems. I'm completely sold on using GHz for subs in most cases. If you're not running a speed-demon or in a perfectly clear pool, this is the way to go, particularly for big, feature-ridden boats. I'll do more on that topic soon, but in the meantime, just know that I love these new GHz radios and will be incorporating them in new builds as much as possible.

Here is the 48th scale T-Class on her maiden voyage. Timing was great as it started raining just a few minutes after we left the pond:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201207_125702.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	145759

More exciting news. I feel that I've perfected the setup for the 48th torpedo system. I extended the internal gas takeup tube and sleeved that for weight. The weapon is now nearly perfectly neutral when filled, and bobs on the surface nose-up when the run is done. Final configuration took three tries to get just right (V1, V2 and V3 pictured below).

Most of the work lately has been on the launcher. I could have made an ultra-elaborate unit, but I am aiming for simplicity, reliability and ease of manufacturing. I shamelessly stole from David's baby launchers. These are basically spring-loaded and set off with a trigger that a servo will have no issue tapping open. Weapons swim out on their own power. Trials this week. Prototypes will be installed in Ed's Type VII

Name:	Torps3.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	145757Click image for larger version

Name:	Torps2.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	145758

Other than that, lots of customer orders going out and keeping me from the shop (not that I'm complaining, mind you...).

Oh, AND.... I MAY have come up with a new supplier for BRAND NEW 8ch 75mhz radios at an EXCELLENT price. More soon! This is big news.

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
              Lots going on, but feels like so much less without pics, right!? I'll try to remedy in the nearish future.

The T and S Class boats I took in from Dwayne Hill up in Canada got a thorough going-over and a new weathering treatment. Both boats are headed to a new home next week and will be featuring 2.4GHz control systems. I'm completely sold on using GHz for subs in most cases. If you're not running a speed-demon or in a perfectly clear pool, this is the way to go, particularly for big, feature-ridden boats. I'll do more on that topic soon, but in the meantime, just know that I love these new GHz radios and will be incorporating them in new builds as much as possible.

Here is the 48th scale T-Class on her maiden voyage. Timing was great as it started raining just a few minutes after we left the pond:

Name:	20201207_125702.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	145759

More exciting news. I feel that I've perfected the setup for the 48th torpedo system. I extended the internal gas takeup tube and sleeved that for weight. The weapon is now nearly perfectly neutral when filled, and bobs on the surface nose-up when the run is done. Final configuration took three tries to get just right (V1, V2 and V3 pictured below).

Most of the work lately has been on the launcher. I could have made an ultra-elaborate unit, but I am aiming for simplicity, reliability and ease of manufacturing. I shamelessly stole from David's baby launchers. These are basically spring-loaded and set off with a trigger that a servo will have no issue tapping open. Weapons swim out on their own power. Trials this week. Prototypes will be installed in Ed's Type VII

Name:	Torps3.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	145757Click image for larger version

Name:	Torps2.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	145758

Other than that, lots of customer orders going out and keeping me from the shop (not that I'm complaining, mind you...).

Oh, AND.... I MAY have come up with a new supplier for BRAND NEW 8ch 75mhz radios at an EXCELLENT price. More soon! This is big news.

Bob
              Turn around is fair play: Mike Dorey is the guy who steered me in the direction I've taken with gas propelled torpedoes. The launcher mechanisms I've played with are all variations on the real thing I worked on and maintained while in the navy as a Torpedoman's Mate. What you have come up with Bob is a combination of your own initiative and study of what others in the field have contributed. You've advanced the Craft.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Bob, in many ways what David said is true. I own a couple of Mike’s torpedoes and you have returned to the basics with a twist. Very nice indeed. Thank you for the update on what is happening in the shop.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

I could have made an ultra-elaborate unit, but I am aiming for simplicity, reliability and ease of manufacturing. I shamelessly stole from David's baby launchers.

Bob
                  Is this hot mess one of the “ultra-elaborate unit” that comes to mind? Hahahaha!

Click image for larger version  Name:	35C8A9D0-F081-4414-A380-F52457B1D7CB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	95.3 KB ID:	145831

Seriously, Nice work on the launchers and torpedoes! Clean well thought out design. Very nice!
                  Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 12-11-2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    • Aug 2009

I've created an edited down version of our last DiveTribe Elite Gathering. You can view it here in order to get an idea of what sort of craziness we get into

T and S Class subs are completed, trimmed and tested. Both worked absolutely beautifully... a testament to the skill of Dwayne Hill who initially built them. I'll have videos of both posted up later today if things go well. I'm really astounded at how well they performed. Superb response to rudder and pitch inputs thanks to the big control surfaces directly aft of the props. Lots of speed and superb angle-keeping for perfect periscope depth.

These were both built with 2.4Ghz control. I'm a believer and do go into the implementation in the videos.

Name:	20201210_132124.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	145851

Torp system is going from prototype to production version with cleaned up parts that will be printed for perfect repeatability and ease of manufacturing. Four weapons built and painted, ready for testing.

Modified a standard two inch Seaview SubDriver for brushless power, per a customer request.

Name:	20201211_113315.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	145852

A new 3D submarine file is now available! I'm in the middle of assembling the prototype. You'll immediately recognize her as the Bushnell Turtle. The print is designed for static display, but I feel that it would not take much to scale it up and make it full RC. Files will be available later this week after the prototype is completed.

Name:	20201211_121101.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	145853

Comment

• tifosi12
                      Commander
                      • Jul 2020

Modified a standard two inch Seaview SubDriver for brushless power, per a customer request.
                      Love the brushless power outside the WTC. Saves so much space. Can't wait to get your new line of subdrivers.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

YouTube Live tonight at 6:30pm Eastern! https://www.youtube.com/rcsubguy.

David's tooling for the cylinders should be delivered today. Once here and unboxed, we'll get deep into integrating production to our facility. In theory, this will cover 2", 2.5" and 3" units, bringing us back up to speed for product lines. First priority is 2.5" units, as that is highest demand and volume, followed by 3" and then, finally, the baby 2" units. I anticipate some modifications to the design to incorporate some of the changes I had in mind for the MKIII printed version, which I may or may not still pursue. First priority is getting a solid product back out there.

Sheeline Trafalgar (modeled as the HMS Talent). is nearly completed. This was a quick overhaul of a started project that I'd picked up months ago. I swapped out the solid PVC bodies for clear acrylic, upgraded the pump to an OTW system, and added the BLM failsafe and AD2 pitch controller.

Pic below in the pool is how she sat when first dropped in with no additional foam or lead. We got her sorted out within 20 minutes and have her back on the bench for new paint today!

Name:	20201214_152442.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	145941Click image for larger version

Name:	22165.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	145945

Parts straight off the printer for a 1/48 XXI for a customer. Over 250 hours of print time for this kit, hence the biggish price point. These come with full drawings, decals and photoetch.

Name:	20201214_152450.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	145942

1/144 Ohio prototype is getting closer. We got some paint on it yesterday. This model has the appendages installed as well as the drive shaft and brass prop. It will be offered for sale as a ready-for-cylinder boat in the coming days.

These files were really disappointing for me. I got them ages ago (can't recall from where) and ended up spending a lot of time upgrading for RC. For some reason, the interior shell ended up shifted and as a result there are sections that have a thin wall. We laid up a sheet of epoxy and glass to reinforce it. Not ideal, but it is still turning out really cool, and will complement the 1:144 Typhoon offering.

Name:	20201214_152624.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	145943

__________________________________________________ ______

Turtle files are up! The prototype turned out really great and I love the look of this. Obviously small in original size for an RC model, but perfect as a display model. Obviously you can scale to whatever size you want once you get the files downloaded.

This model is available for purchase if anyone is interested.

Name:	20201214_121623.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	145944

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Those BL motors look like they're almost touching each other. What's their rating again?

Wonder if you could use this set up onboard the 1/72 Type VII U- boat or complete overkill?
                          Last edited by redboat219; 12-17-2020, 08:12 AM.
                          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            • Aug 2009

It's been insane at the shop with getting the new Nautilus kit built and instructions going, getting the "Diving Deep" book finished, continuing work on the new line of cylinders, and finishing up Ed's Type VII build. On top of that, I'm now deep into getting my IFR certification for flying, which is a daily investment of two to three hours. My apologies for lack of posts.

All that said, here are a few photos to share of latest shop progress:

I'd say that I'm now about 90% done on the writing of the Diving Deep book. I've taken a lot of your suggestions in terms of content and fleshed out more chapters. Bear in mind, a lot of you are requesting really specific information. This book isn't meant as an RC submarine bible, but rather a quick overview of how to build a boat. It's not a step-by-step walkthrough, just a series of signposts. Fleshing things out to the degree that some of you are asking for would require a volume as thick as as, well... the bible. Once the verbiage is complete, His Majesty has promised to proof it for me. Here is a teaser of the cover.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-28 044711.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	147162

New 3D files coming soon! Randy up in Canada has banged out another awesome sub hull and I'm deep into printing the prototype. This is the Russian Borei class, soon to be available for download!:

Name:	Scan0001.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	147161

The Drydocks got a new test facility! Or at least a new test tank. Now that I'm in my shop and not working from the house, I needed a better way to quickly test cylinders and boat trim. This is a galvanized livestock tank measuring 2ft x 6ft. We keep it filled and put a few drops of bleach in every week to keep it sparkling. This has really cut down on wasted time traveling back and forth to and from my home pool. We still do the maiden voyage of builds at my local pond, but this is a life-saver!

Name:	20210121_125702.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	147164

Ed's Type VII is in the middle of trimming now. I ended up building an entirely new torpedo mounting assembly, as the original was getting ugly after the constant modifications for performance, reliability and fitment. I took the prototype, sketched a final version in CAD, and printed up the new mounting bulkhead. The good news is that this should drop right in for any Arkmodel Type VII model once I get into production (DON'T ask when that will be... it will come when it comes...******!)

Here are some pics from preliminary trimming exercises in the new test tank. Hoping to have this done and ready for maiden voyage by the weekend!

Name:	20210121_125711.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	147166Click image for larger version

Name:	20210121_130005.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	147165

New MKIII SubDriver development is going well, too! It's slower than I'd hoped, but the investment in manufacturability will mean faster turnaround of orders and also the ability to offer this as a kit rather than pre-assembled in order to save you guys some money.

Name:	20210121_125725.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	147167

AAANNNNDDD, the big 48" Nautilus kit prototype is completed and I'm finishing up the instructions. Once that is done, I'll re-open orders for the kit. These will make amazing display or RC models and I'll be doing a WIP on the conversion to RC.

Name:	20210121_110203.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	147163

Comment

• biggsgolf
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2020

Excellent updates Bob!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Thanks for the updates Bob! Always great to see what you are up to!

The cover on your new book "Diving Deep" really looks professional, well done sir! Sign me up for a copy for sure! Really looking forward to it, I can always use all the help I can get!:-))

Rob
                                "Firemen can stand the heat"
                                "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated"

Comment

Working...