Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

Nautilus Drydocks - Yesterday's work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nice looking boats! Can't wait to see your progress on the Lotus as I pulled mine down from the rafters.

    Comment


    • Lots done yesterday!


      SubDriver MKIII prototype is about 60% complete. This will be a 250/250/250 variant, 2.5" in diameter throughout the entire length. This photo was from the morning. I have the motor bulkhead complete along with the pump bulkhead. I should be able to get most if it done today if things go well.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_085335.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	144574
      More work on the Hunley prototype. Getting close to linkage installation. The challenge is going to be converting the linear action of the rear servo to rotary action for the unique rudder arrangement. Any ideas on a simple solution for this?

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_142947.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	144575

      Upgrades for Mike Martin's Type VII are underway. I'm actually pulling the entire cylinder and installing a 3" unit, which fits nicely. This will have a working sound system as well as LED lighting. If I can swing it (and there are NO promises here), it will have at least one functional torpedo as well!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_120405.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	144573

      I spent the last 30 minutes of the day selfishly on my Orca. I pulled out the cheap, nasty Chinese LEDs and started installing newer, scale-looking one. This will have a Pittman 12V drive motor. I modified the rudder support to actually allow the prop to spin properly. Note the scale "Bruce" in the background. I have a crazy idea to RC that shark so that someone could actually chase the Orca with it! Thoughts are rolling around for a quick, dynamic diver... Gears are turning!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_142705.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	144578
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • Very cool!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SubHuman View Post
          Lots done yesterday!
          I spent the last 30 minutes of the day selfishly on my Orca. I pulled out the cheap, nasty Chinese LEDs and started installing newer, scale-looking one. This will have a Pittman 12V drive motor. I modified the rudder support to actually allow the prop to spin properly. Note the scale "Bruce" in the background. I have a crazy idea to RC that shark so that someone could actually chase the Orca with it! Thoughts are rolling around for a quick, dynamic diver... Gears are turning!

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_142705.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	144578
          This is one case where a towed micro 2.4 MHZ receiver would work mounted in the drag barrel harpooned to the shark and s-bussed to the servos.

          BTW one of our club guys is using a set of real piranha jaws on the flybridge and it looks awesome! (the shark was named Bruce because Steven Spielberg's lawyer was named Bruce)

          Comment


          • Did not know that

            Comment


            • Might want to check these out... lots of them on ebay.



              https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...SAv_59Kr-t6-Ho
              Last edited by RCJetDude; 10-21-2020, 11:39 AM.

              Comment


              • Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder2.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	144586
                Originally posted by SubHuman View Post


                More work on the Hunley prototype. Getting close to linkage installation. The challenge is going to be converting the linear action of the rear servo to rotary action for the unique rudder arrangement. Any ideas on a simple solution for this?

                Why try David Merriman's technique with the 1/72 Gato's bow plane retract/deploy mechanism. It converts the servo's linear motion to a rotary motion. As I recall the Hunley's rudder was actuated by a vertical swing arm.
                Last edited by redboat219; 10-21-2020, 01:23 PM.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

                Comment


                • Confused. A standard servo is already a rotary motion. It becomes a linear movement when a arm and linkage is attached to it right?

                  Comment


                  • Boy! This takes me back to the rudder-only days!

                    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models View Post
                      Confused. A standard servo is already a rotary motion. It becomes a linear movement when a arm and linkage is attached to it right?
                      Standard cylinders run the linkage straight out the back of the unit, typically attached to a rudder arm. I could tear into the bulkhead and re-mount the servo, of course, but customers won't have the expertise to do that, so I want to keep the standard arrangement and work out a conversion of linear movement of the linkage rod to rotary movement of the rudder arm.

                      Bob

                      Comment


                      • Or you could go this route
                        https://youtu.be/XJ6AGuZhZ0Q
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SubHuman View Post

                          Standard cylinders run the linkage straight out the back of the unit, typically attached to a rudder arm. I could tear into the bulkhead and re-mount the servo, of course, but customers won't have the expertise to do that, so I want to keep the standard arrangement and work out a conversion of linear movement of the linkage rod to rotary movement of the rudder arm.

                          Bob
                          Second illustration from the left. Just swap input-output sides and you have linear to rotary.
                          "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by SubHuman View Post

                            Standard cylinders run the linkage straight out the back of the unit, typically attached to a rudder arm. I could tear into the bulkhead and re-mount the servo, of course, but customers won't have the expertise to do that, so I want to keep the standard arrangement and work out a conversion of linear movement of the linkage rod to rotary movement of the rudder arm.

                            Bob
                            Makes sense now. I wasn’t considering the SD. Was just thinking of the motion. Bevel gear arrangement would do the trick.

                            Comment


                            • What have you got in mind for adding torpedoes and launchers to that type VIIC

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models View Post
                                What have you got in mind for adding torpedoes and launchers to that type VIIC
                                It's not guaranteed that I'll add them at all. It was in the original scope, but as I don't have a commercially viable product out, there will be a lot of R&D to lock in the design, and that is time that I do not readily have available.

                                That said, I've already got functional 48th gas torpedo prototypes. Gas weapons are cheap, fast, easy to produce (and they make such cool bubbles when they fire!).

                                Most of yesterday was spend on customer orders and further assembly of the MKIII SubDriver assembly.

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	20201021_145254.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	144599Click image for larger version

Name:	20201021_145257.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	144600

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X