Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

Nice looking boats! Can't wait to see your progress on the Lotus as I pulled mine down from the rafters.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Lots done yesterday!

SubDriver MKIII prototype is about 60% complete. This will be a 250/250/250 variant, 2.5" in diameter throughout the entire length. This photo was from the morning. I have the motor bulkhead complete along with the pump bulkhead. I should be able to get most if it done today if things go well.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_085335.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	144574
      More work on the Hunley prototype. Getting close to linkage installation. The challenge is going to be converting the linear action of the rear servo to rotary action for the unique rudder arrangement. Any ideas on a simple solution for this?

Name:	20201020_142947.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	144575

Upgrades for Mike Martin's Type VII are underway. I'm actually pulling the entire cylinder and installing a 3" unit, which fits nicely. This will have a working sound system as well as LED lighting. If I can swing it (and there are NO promises here), it will have at least one functional torpedo as well!

Name:	20201020_120405.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	144573

I spent the last 30 minutes of the day selfishly on my Orca. I pulled out the cheap, nasty Chinese LEDs and started installing newer, scale-looking one. This will have a Pittman 12V drive motor. I modified the rudder support to actually allow the prop to spin properly. Note the scale "Bruce" in the background. I have a crazy idea to RC that shark so that someone could actually chase the Orca with it! Thoughts are rolling around for a quick, dynamic diver... Gears are turning!

Name:	20201020_142705.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	144578
      Attached Files

Comment

• biggsgolf
        Captain
        • Jan 2020

Very cool!

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
          Lots done yesterday!
          I spent the last 30 minutes of the day selfishly on my Orca. I pulled out the cheap, nasty Chinese LEDs and started installing newer, scale-looking one. This will have a Pittman 12V drive motor. I modified the rudder support to actually allow the prop to spin properly. Note the scale "Bruce" in the background. I have a crazy idea to RC that shark so that someone could actually chase the Orca with it! Thoughts are rolling around for a quick, dynamic diver... Gears are turning!

Name:	20201020_142705.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	144578
          This is one case where a towed micro 2.4 MHZ receiver would work mounted in the drag barrel harpooned to the shark and s-bussed to the servos.

BTW one of our club guys is using a set of real piranha jaws on the flybridge and it looks awesome! (the shark was named Bruce because Steven Spielberg's lawyer was named Bruce)

Comment

• biggsgolf
            Captain
            • Jan 2020

Did not know that

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Might want to check these out... lots of them on ebay.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...SAv_59Kr-t6-Ho
              Last edited by SubDude; 10-21-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Name:	rudder2.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	144586

More work on the Hunley prototype. Getting close to linkage installation. The challenge is going to be converting the linear action of the rear servo to rotary action for the unique rudder arrangement. Any ideas on a simple solution for this?

Why try David Merriman's technique with the 1/72 Gato's bow plane retract/deploy mechanism. It converts the servo's linear motion to a rotary motion. As I recall the Hunley's rudder was actuated by a vertical swing arm.
                Last edited by redboat219; 10-21-2020, 12:23 PM.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Confused. A standard servo is already a rotary motion. It becomes a linear movement when a arm and linkage is attached to it right?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Boy! This takes me back to the rudder-only days!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                      Confused. A standard servo is already a rotary motion. It becomes a linear movement when a arm and linkage is attached to it right?
                      Standard cylinders run the linkage straight out the back of the unit, typically attached to a rudder arm. I could tear into the bulkhead and re-mount the servo, of course, but customers won't have the expertise to do that, so I want to keep the standard arrangement and work out a conversion of linear movement of the linkage rod to rotary movement of the rudder arm.

Bob

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Or you could go this route
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Standard cylinders run the linkage straight out the back of the unit, typically attached to a rudder arm. I could tear into the bulkhead and re-mount the servo, of course, but customers won't have the expertise to do that, so I want to keep the standard arrangement and work out a conversion of linear movement of the linkage rod to rotary movement of the rudder arm.

Bob
                          Second illustration from the left. Just swap input-output sides and you have linear to rotary.
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2020

Bob
                            Makes sense now. I wasn’t considering the SD. Was just thinking of the motion. Bevel gear arrangement would do the trick.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

What have you got in mind for adding torpedoes and launchers to that type VIIC

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                                What have you got in mind for adding torpedoes and launchers to that type VIIC
                                It's not guaranteed that I'll add them at all. It was in the original scope, but as I don't have a commercially viable product out, there will be a lot of R&D to lock in the design, and that is time that I do not readily have available.

That said, I've already got functional 48th gas torpedo prototypes. Gas weapons are cheap, fast, easy to produce (and they make such cool bubbles when they fire!).

Most of yesterday was spend on customer orders and further assembly of the MKIII SubDriver assembly.

Name:	20201021_145254.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	144599Click image for larger version

Name:	20201021_145257.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	144600

Comment

Working...