Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Looks like another Skipjack? How many times have you built the same boat over and over? And they always come out different each time and always looking great! And I learn something each time seeing it.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
        Looks like another Skipjack? How many times have you built the same boat over and over? And they always come out different each time and always looking great! And I learn something each time seeing it.
        Oh, Christ!... now I have to be nice to you???!!!!

OK. I'll play. Just talking the 1/96 D&E Miniatures ones, mind you:

Total -- Ellie and I assembled (most of them no farther than primer gray) -- at least a hundred. Most of them kits we sold before associating with Mr. Caswell. I would say at least twenty of those assembled, fully completed, functional and painted -- most of those weathered. Several turn-key jobs, some for friends, and the rest I ran till someone made me an offer I could not refuse.

Each model submarine from the 90's on became a test canvas for painting and weathering studies. It never ends -- only gets better (with the occasional goof... but we won't talk about those!).

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SteveNeill
          Commander
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

OK, Steve. Sorry for the delay. Here's the story:

From age ten I knew I was going to build models professionally for the movies; just about every free moment of my life -- through school and a career in the Navy -- was spent studying and practicing the Craft.

One vital aspect of the discipline is learning how to draw, both technical and sketch type work; stuff you can work from and stuff to tickle the creative juices of you and the client alike.

One such exercise was to draft a very famous SF movie spacecraft, 'The Ark of Space', and make the presentation in an ersatz 'general arrangement', three-view, orthographic format. Complete title-block, technical authentication blocks and listing of associated drawing numbers. Very official looking. That project done during off-hours aboard the USS YOSEMITE on a Mediterranean half-year deployment -- something to add to my ever-expanding resume; my door-opener for the day Ellie and I would march into Burbank and demand a high-paying model-builder's job.

Later, I added axillary views to illustrate suggested model building techniques -- all that condensed into an article for one of the many model magazines I was contributing to at the time.

Professionals either publish, or they perish! Mom taught me that. And she was right.

Much to my surprise, that drawing recently found its way into the pages of Bill Warren's magnum opus of SF movies, KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES. I don't know if he's aware that the drawing is merely a work of fan-art and not from the Parmount files. Well... cat's out of the bag now!

And in time we did get some movie and TV work -- and that portfolio, featuring sketch, conceptual, orthographic, and story-board work got us the jobs. A life well planned.

I love seeing this. And thank you for taking the time. I especially love the drawing of the ark after the landing. Genius.

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

David & Steve,

For sure, one of my most favorite Sci-Fi movies of all times. "When Worlds Collide" That art work you did "After Worlds Collide" is fantastic David! What a vision you had. Someone needs to do the original movie again and add your vision as to how it all could have ended. Wonderful work David! You are and have always been a visionary for sure!!

Rob
            "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
              David & Steve,

For sure, one of my most favorite Sci-Fi movies of all times. "When Worlds Collide" That art work you did "After Worlds Collide" is fantastic David! What a vision you had. Someone needs to do the original movie again and add your vision as to how it all could have ended. Wonderful work David! You are and have always been a visionary for sure!!

Rob
              Von Braun and Geroge Pal shared two tenents they adhered too when presenting a technological challenge: That the science of the machine or concept was well understood; and achievement of the goal could be done without any significant advancements in the 'state of the art' as it stood at the time of invention.

Von Braun's giant Cargo Rocket, space station, moon ships, and Mars ships were all possible within the state of the art as it stood in the late 40's.

Pal's LUNA, the Ark of space, and his ships of, The Conquest Of Space were all movies that presented hardware that was within the capabilities of any company, country or nations willing to fund and build them.

Ellie and I had the opportunity to build models of some of those concepts. Some of our happiest times!

Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-05-2023, 10:11 PM.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Eyeball One. Lol.

Nice photo of you and Ellie.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219

Eyeball One. Lol.

Nice photo of you and Ellie.
                  It's got that Tarantino patented, 'looking up from the trunk' vibe to it. If only we could have got Mr. White, and Mr. Pink into the shot, it would have been perfect!!
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

It's got that Tarantino patented, 'looking up from the trunk' vibe to it. If only we could have got Mr. White, and Mr. Pink into the shot, it would have been perfect!!
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SteveNeill
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2020

Incredible inspiring work David. You guys were a great team.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SteveNeill
                        Incredible inspiring work David. You guys were a great team.
                        Were? She is still looking over his shoulder and calling him an evil round eye!
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout

Were? She is still looking over his shoulder and calling him an evil round eye!
                          ... and THAT's why I keep the lights on at night and investigate strange noises about the house.
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Hi David,

It's the pest again with a question about finishing work.

What brand masking tape do you prefer? I learned from you to cut a new edge on the tape rather than use it as it comes off the roll. Also I seen you (in other photos) make your own pin stripping tape for going around curves, so it seems you may just purchase one or two width sizes of tape that will accomplish all your masking needs! (I am about ready to try my hand at "Air Brushing" I have the equipment so it's time to get my feet wet.

Thanks David,

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Hi David,

It's the pest again with a question about finishing work.

What brand masking tape do you prefer? I learned from you to cut a new edge on the tape rather than use it as it comes off the roll. Also I seen you (in other photos) make your own pin stripping tape for going around curves, so it seems you may just purchase one or two width sizes of tape that will accomplish all your masking needs! (I am about ready to try my hand at "Air Brushing" I have the equipment so it's time to get my feet wet.

Thanks David,

Rob
                              Pest? Hell no! You actually get things done -- I love that! As opposed to those who just ask questions to keep their gums in motion. When I'm done raking guys like you over the coals, Rob, I feel like I've actually helped move the Craft along. You're not a pest. No. You're a willing student ready to actually apply what you learn -- makes all the picture taking worthwhile.

(Now, I take a moment to yank my nose out of your ass).

I like the 3M Blue 'painters masking tape'. Cheap and a lower tack than that nuclear powered tan tape!

The vinyl striping tape will take a sharper radius than the 3M blue but is expensive and hard to source locally. Cut the blue in narrow enough strips and you can lay down a radius as tight as you want.

For very tight, exacting curves, pre-form your masking tape by cutting out the shape with the aid of a swivel-knife (a #11 will work if you practice enough) following a plastic sheet stencil. Note the use of brass tube cutting punches to give form to small circular masks.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Pest? Hell no! You actually get things done -- I love that! As opposed to those who just ask questions to keep their gums in motion. When I'm done raking guys like you over the coals, Rob, I feel like I've actually helped move the Craft along. You're not a pest. No. You're a willing student ready to actually apply what you learn -- makes all the picture taking worthwhile.

(Now, I take a moment to yank my nose out of your ass).

I like the 3M Blue 'painters masking tape'. Cheap and a lower tack than that nuclear powered tan tape!

The vinyl striping tape will take a sharper radius than the 3M blue but is expensive and hard to source locally. Cut the blue in narrow enough strips and you can lay down a radius as tight as you want.

For very tight, exacting curves, pre-form your masking tape by cutting out the shape with the aid of a swivel-knife (a #11 will work if you practice enough) following a plastic sheet stencil. Note the use of brass tube cutting punches to give form to small circular masks.

Thank you very much David! I will get the 3M Blue masking tape for sure, and some good sharp #11 blades.

Now get ready for this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	TURTLE 11.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	169423

Click image for larger version

Name:	TURTLE 12.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	169424

I am ready to take the leap and start learning to do air brushing, and some (believe it or not) honest to god weathering on my boats!! :-)) So I will REALLY be STUDYING your methods you have posted up and most likely have some questions along the way!

Thank again David,

Rob

Comment

Working...