Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

Very nice.....I like the design and the execution.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
      Very nice.....I like the design and the execution.
      I suffer from complexity syndrome.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I suffer from complexity syndrome.
        What ever happened to KISS?
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219

What ever happened to KISS?
          Good point. Bob's gimbal arrangement made more sense than mine -- I'll steal his method next time (don't tell Bob).
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Dave's setup absolutely works, but I found that placing the universal joint just before the prop yields a more stable drivetrain. With the pivot close to the prop, the required deflection of the driveshaft is minimal.

That said, Dave's craftsmanship is gorgeous here...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                Dave's setup absolutely works, but I found that placing the universal joint just before the prop yields a more stable drivetrain. With the pivot close to the prop, the required deflection of the driveshaft is minimal.

That said, Dave's craftsmanship is gorgeous here...
                I could not agree with you more, Bob.

My overly complicated mechanism is a vestige of previous work on the smaller NAUTILUS. Those 31" models had much tighter internal confines at the stern, than Ray's much larger GRP model with its relatively thin wall structure. My solution to the 'small NAUTILUS' pitching propeller problem applied to the 'big NAUTILUS' pitching propeller problem was a stupid waste of time and resources.

I am a creature of habit, not problem solving. My recent work is an illustration of such stupidity. Your solution would have been a much better choice.

Elon Musk's words ring in my ear: "The best part is no part". I should listen more and stop worshiping at the altar of Rube Goldberg. I'm an analog computer in a digital computer age. Out of place.

David
                Resident Idiot
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  • Aug 2009

Whoa there, cowboy!

T'aint no 'stupid', 'waste', nor 'stupidity' anywhere that I can see. "Better" is a matter of personal preference. I was just pointing out that moving the pivot point aft, the deflection is reduced. Your solution is equally elegant, but infinitely more beautiful than anything I've managed to put together. Maybe the shaft will deflect more than it necessarily needs, to.. but if it works, there is zero harm and zero foul.

Take it easy on yourself. The destination was reached, even if two different paths were taken.

Bob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Whoa there, cowboy!

T'aint no 'stupid', 'waste', nor 'stupidity' anywhere that I can see. "Better" is a matter of personal preference. I was just pointing out that moving the pivot point aft, the deflection is reduced. Your solution is equally elegant, but infinitely more beautiful than anything I've managed to put together. Maybe the shaft will deflect more than it necessarily needs, to.. but if it works, there is zero harm and zero foul.

Take it easy on yourself. The destination was reached, even if two different paths were taken.

Bob
                    Bull****! You've gone woke on me, Bob.

Elegance is not efficiency. Elegance is just showing off. Call it what it is, Bob: poor solution to a simple problem. I took the wrong path.

I'm an absolutist. Most people find guys like me intolerant and cruel. It's the difference between those who strive for perfection and those who just want to get along and adopt the standard of the average performer -- those willing to rationalize error and accept crap when they well know there is a better way. I demand perfection in others. I strive for it in my own affairs. I miss the clarity of the old ways; not todays standard of half-ass and 'good enough'. There are an infinite number of ways to do the job poorly. Only one way to do it right.

In my world there is right and wrong. Yes and no. Black and white. There is no maybe, both, and gray.

A is A. There is no middle ground. There are only variations of wrong. There is only one right way.

You, Bob, had it right: objective achieved employing the simplest, most robust mechanics possible.

I had it wrong. I made the simple unreasonably hard.

Strive for perfection. When you join a forum or take the stage, it's no longer a hobby -- it's performance art. I gave a crummy performance. And my take-away is to do it the right way next time.

Beauty IS simplicity of function; economy of motion; applying the least force to achieve exacting motion. My propeller pitching mechanism failed on all points. I, for a moment, abandoned the KISS mandate.

David
                    Collating
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 12-21-2022, 02:25 PM.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Bull****! You've gone woke on me, Bob.

David
                      Collating
                      LOL... Rest assured, you won't be getting any participation awards from me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	167885

Comment

• Aug 2008

LOL... Rest assured, you won't be getting any participation awards from me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	167885
                        That's the guy I know!
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

David,

It is hard for an armature sub builder such as I am to really know how to even put into words what a master builder you are! I most likely would just embarrass myself to even try! I have followed all 104 pages of your "Todays Work" platform, and my wife will attest to this, I walk away shaking my head as to your knowledge and skillful abilities! "Perfectionist" says it all! There is no other word that can describe your achievements!

I really appreciate what you have done with your Hunley build. I once again am at a loss for words. David, that is one beautiful boat, and thank you for sharing the build!

Rob
                            "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Aug 2008

A Master's key responsibility to the Craft is to teach. The foundation of my accumulated useful knowledge is a mountain of misdirection from others, shop ****ups, wrong choices, and premature arrogance.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                                • Aug 2009

Alright... whazzup with the torpedoes!?

Comment

Working...