X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by James Wittaker

you can weigh the mass of all the plastic kits above the waterline yourself and then make an estimate to get a reasonable ballast water volume.
    You can do it yourself and it is not difficult.
    Thank you. I will pass on this information.
    Last edited by redboat219; 03-16-2022, 09:26 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

How are the shafts secured to the control surfaces?

Comment

• JHapprich
          Captain
          • Oct 2017

How do you secure your diveplanes to the shaft, redboat219?

Friction grip, grub screws, pins, CA glue?

Why do you ALWAYS ask questions instead of giving some insight on your own.

It is all in the pictures! I mean, David M. is giving us a first hand fotostory about how to convert that sub to rc.

Go get that kit and make it so!

Comment

• James Wittaker
            Lieutenant
            • Oct 2021

We can't say that asking questions is bad, what we care about is whether these questions are valuable. If you ask a question that the teacher has repeated hundreds of times in school, the teacher will be very annoyed. From 2005 to now Mr. Merriman has posted thousands of pictures on the forum, showing in detail various methods and techniques of making submarines. Even if some visitors to the forum who can't read English, just by studying the pictures posted by Mr. Merriman and then practicing a lot, I believe they won't ask so many questions.

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

What's in the picture? All I see is a brass rod that slides inside an aluminum tube with no signs of positive locking.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                What's in the picture? All I see is a brass rod that slides inside an aluminum tube with no signs of positive locking.
                All will be revealed.
                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-23-2022, 05:49 AM.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
                  Captain
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by redboat219
                  Maybe the shafts are flattened at one side and connect to an inward-crimped part of the aluminum tube

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich

Maybe the shafts are flattened at one side and connect to an inward-crimped part of the aluminum tube
                    Right now the operating shafts are loose fits to the aluminum tubes glued within the control surfaces. A model this small does not present enough 'meat' on the control surface to make a securing set-screw a practical means of making the control surface rigid to its operating shaft. Before final assembly (long after the painting and weathering is completed, but before sea-trials) I'll dope the inside of the aluminum tube bores with some thin formula CA which will create a strong friction fit to the operating shafts. Anyway... that's the plan. Stay tuned for how that turns out.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2017

Hi david, i would have pm'd but your inbox is full. Did not receive your last visitor message.

Jörg

Comment

• Scott T
                        Commander
                        • May 2009

Quote: "I'll dope the inside of the aluminum tube bores with some thin formula CA which will create a strong friction fit to the operating shafts."

Nice!

I always thought a friction fit would work. My thought was to use silicone. And if the planes/rudders got bumped it would allow it to move. Then could be twisted back into position.
                        No actual tests have been done. So like the news slingers we will not verify if its true.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
                          Quote: "I'll dope the inside of the aluminum tube bores with some thin formula CA which will create a strong friction fit to the operating shafts."

Nice!

I always thought a friction fit would work. My thought was to use silicone. And if the planes/rudders got bumped it would allow it to move. Then could be twisted back into position.
                          No actual tests have been done. So like the news slingers we will not verify if its true.
                          I've tried that but found that once 'broken' the silicon bond (former bond) just let the control surface to rotate wild to the operating shaft. Hense my upcoming attempt with the CA.

(And while trying to nap a few hours ago I thought up a scheme to get the operating shaft out of the aluminum tube if I had to take something apart. It came to me: make the operating shaft a tube instead of a rod and if I have to weaken the CA for extraction, just heat a brass rod that will fit the tube. Heat the rod externally to a red heat, then jam into the tube (operating shaft) and let the conducted heat bust the CA bond between operating shaft and aluminum tube).

Damn... I'm good!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

All this for a ChiCom boat. Meh.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...