No announcement yet.

today's work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you're using the locking collars as guides in tapering the propeller hub.

Will you be fabricating a new dunce cap or just use the existing kit part?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Originally posted by redboat219 View Post
      So you're using the locking collars as guides in tapering the propeller hub.

Will you be fabricating a new dunce cap or just use the existing kit part?
      Yes, a bit like how I assured symmetry of this 1/96 ALFA propeller hub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	161191

Name:	IMG_0114.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	161192

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	161193

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	161194

Name:	IMG_0128.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	161195

I'll be making a new, properly fitting, dunce cap.

David

Resident Luddite

Comment

• Resident Luddite

Comment

• Resident Luddite

Comment

• what Type VII model is that, David? DK Models 1/48th?
            Looking closer, might be an old 32nd Parallel in 1/32nd....

Comment

• Originally posted by goshawk823 View Post
              what Type VII model is that, David? DK Models 1/48th?
              Looking closer, might be an old 32nd Parallel in 1/32nd....
              Yup. It's one of Dan's original 1/48 Type-7 kits. Mike Bratley, who lives not far from here, picked it up from Bob and asked me to do some magic on it in time for the Groton SubRegatta next month.

David
              Resident Luddite

Comment

• Resident Luddite

Comment

• For me, the greatest joy is to log on to the forum at the end of the day and go to David's "Today's Work" section and see what David has posted about his magic, which is what gives me the most pleasure to enjoy these masterpieces...

Comment

• Originally posted by James Wittaker View Post
                    For me, the greatest joy is to log on to the forum at the end of the day and go to David's "Today's Work" section and see what David has posted about his magic, which is what gives me the most pleasure to enjoy these masterpieces...
                    So. James. we gonna start picking out furniture together now?

On a more serious note...

It pleases me no end to know that some of the work Ellie and I did over the years is appreciated. We learned our craft from others, and my 'Today's Work' postings (magazine articles, a few books, and countless lecture and Q&A panels) is an attempt to keep this Craft alive.

But, do more than study the Craft, James. Practice it! Use your hands and brain. Most rewarding.

David
                    D&E Miniatures
                    Resident Luddite

Comment

• Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post

So. James. we gonna start picking out furniture together now?

On a more serious note...

It pleases me no end to know that some of the work Ellie and I did over the years is appreciated. We learned our craft from others, and my 'Today's Work' postings (magazine articles, a few books, and countless lecture and Q&A panels) is an attempt to keep this Craft alive.

But, do more than study the Craft, James. Practice it! Use your hands and brain. Most rewarding.

David
                      D&E Miniatures
                      hell, David... it's one of my favorite daily checks on this site too. You and Ellie documented so much stuff over the years that learning stuff from the all still photos is even possible.

That last one looks like a DeBoer's Skipjack, if I'm not mistaken. Seems to be about the correct scale?

Comment

• It's the Mobius 1/72 SKIPJACK kit.
                        Resident Luddite

Comment

• Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post
                          It's the Mobius 1/72 SKIPJACK kit.
                          Wow... it looks a lot larger than 1/72nd! Great looking model, and a nice size. No wonder so many of them end up being R/C.

Comment

• Originally posted by goshawk823 View Post

Wow... it looks a lot larger than 1/72nd! Great looking model, and a nice size. No wonder so many of them end up being R/C.
                            Rumor has it the lead-man on that kit had that very application in mind from the start.

David
                            Resident Luddite

Comment

• Resident Luddite

Comment

• Perfect timing. Just so happens I glued those deadlights onto the sail today. What is the purpose of these in a submarine? On your weathering thread I believe you misted either the inside or outside of the deadlight black? Which was it, inside or outside?

I'm guessing this is not one of your many to do boats in retirement as you already have a Skipjack you brings to events.
                                Last edited by Ken_NJ; 04-29-2022, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X