today's work

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSBN659
    replied
    David, in photos 2, 3 & 4 above what is the reason for the Bondo where the sail attaches to the hull?

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Ever wondered what you would be doing right now if you didn't go into making RC model submarines?
    commercial diving

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Ever wondered what you would be doing right now if you didn't go into making RC model submarines?

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    No, Tom. Alternating applications of toothpaste masking and varied colors of 'marine growth'. The final result is illustrated by the completed side (all masking washed away) of the upper rudder.

Stippled layering, if you will. I make this **** up as I go.

Sometimes works. Sometimes... eh!

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Ohhh black wash to bring it all together……

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• SteveNeill
    replied
    We never stop learning. We can never know everything. If that ever happened it would all be pointless. It's this that keeps us going and growing hopefully for a long time to come. Thanks David.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thank you very much David! I will get the 3M Blue masking tape for sure, and some good sharp #11 blades.

Now get ready for this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	TURTLE 11.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	169423

Name:	TURTLE 12.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	169424

I am ready to take the leap and start learning to do air brushing, and some (believe it or not) honest to god weathering on my boats!! :-)) So I will REALLY be STUDYING your methods you have posted up and most likely have some questions along the way!

Thank again David,

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."
    Go get 'em, Tiger!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Pest? Hell no! You actually get things done -- I love that! As opposed to those who just ask questions to keep their gums in motion. When I'm done raking guys like you over the coals, Rob, I feel like I've actually helped move the Craft along. You're not a pest. No. You're a willing student ready to actually apply what you learn -- makes all the picture taking worthwhile.

(Now, I take a moment to yank my nose out of your ass).

I like the 3M Blue 'painters masking tape'. Cheap and a lower tack than that nuclear powered tan tape!

The vinyl striping tape will take a sharper radius than the 3M blue but is expensive and hard to source locally. Cut the blue in narrow enough strips and you can lay down a radius as tight as you want.

For very tight, exacting curves, pre-form your masking tape by cutting out the shape with the aid of a swivel-knife (a #11 will work if you practice enough) following a plastic sheet stencil. Note the use of brass tube cutting punches to give form to small circular masks.

Thank you very much David! I will get the 3M Blue masking tape for sure, and some good sharp #11 blades.

Now get ready for this!

Name:	TURTLE 11.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	169423

Name:	TURTLE 12.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	169424

I am ready to take the leap and start learning to do air brushing, and some (believe it or not) honest to god weathering on my boats!! :-)) So I will REALLY be STUDYING your methods you have posted up and most likely have some questions along the way!

Thank again David,

Rob

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

Hi David,

It's the pest again with a question about finishing work.

What brand masking tape do you prefer? I learned from you to cut a new edge on the tape rather than use it as it comes off the roll. Also I seen you (in other photos) make your own pin stripping tape for going around curves, so it seems you may just purchase one or two width sizes of tape that will accomplish all your masking needs! (I am about ready to try my hand at "Air Brushing" I have the equipment so it's time to get my feet wet.

Thanks David,

Rob
    Pest? Hell no! You actually get things done -- I love that! As opposed to those who just ask questions to keep their gums in motion. When I'm done raking guys like you over the coals, Rob, I feel like I've actually helped move the Craft along. You're not a pest. No. You're a willing student ready to actually apply what you learn -- makes all the picture taking worthwhile.

(Now, I take a moment to yank my nose out of your ass).

I like the 3M Blue 'painters masking tape'. Cheap and a lower tack than that nuclear powered tan tape!

The vinyl striping tape will take a sharper radius than the 3M blue but is expensive and hard to source locally. Cut the blue in narrow enough strips and you can lay down a radius as tight as you want.

For very tight, exacting curves, pre-form your masking tape by cutting out the shape with the aid of a swivel-knife (a #11 will work if you practice enough) following a plastic sheet stencil. Note the use of brass tube cutting punches to give form to small circular masks.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Hi David,

It's the pest again with a question about finishing work.

What brand masking tape do you prefer? I learned from you to cut a new edge on the tape rather than use it as it comes off the roll. Also I seen you (in other photos) make your own pin stripping tape for going around curves, so it seems you may just purchase one or two width sizes of tape that will accomplish all your masking needs! (I am about ready to try my hand at "Air Brushing" I have the equipment so it's time to get my feet wet.

Thanks David,

Rob

Leave a comment:

Working...