Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trout
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveNeill
    Incredible inspiring work David. You guys were a great team.
    Were? She is still looking over his shoulder and calling him an evil round eye!

Leave a comment:

• SteveNeill
    replied
    Incredible inspiring work David. You guys were a great team.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

It's got that Tarantino patented, 'looking up from the trunk' vibe to it. If only we could have got Mr. White, and Mr. Pink into the shot, it would have been perfect!!

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219

Eyeball One. Lol.

Nice photo of you and Ellie.
    It's got that Tarantino patented, 'looking up from the trunk' vibe to it. If only we could have got Mr. White, and Mr. Pink into the shot, it would have been perfect!!

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied

Eyeball One. Lol.

Nice photo of you and Ellie.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    David & Steve,

For sure, one of my most favorite Sci-Fi movies of all times. "When Worlds Collide" That art work you did "After Worlds Collide" is fantastic David! What a vision you had. Someone needs to do the original movie again and add your vision as to how it all could have ended. Wonderful work David! You are and have always been a visionary for sure!!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."
    Von Braun and Geroge Pal shared two tenents they adhered too when presenting a technological challenge: That the science of the machine or concept was well understood; and achievement of the goal could be done without any significant advancements in the 'state of the art' as it stood at the time of invention.

Von Braun's giant Cargo Rocket, space station, moon ships, and Mars ships were all possible within the state of the art as it stood in the late 40's.

Pal's LUNA, the Ark of space, and his ships of, The Conquest Of Space were all movies that presented hardware that was within the capabilities of any company, country or nations willing to fund and build them.

Ellie and I had the opportunity to build models of some of those concepts. Some of our happiest times!

Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-05-2023, 10:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    David & Steve,

For sure, one of my most favorite Sci-Fi movies of all times. "When Worlds Collide" That art work you did "After Worlds Collide" is fantastic David! What a vision you had. Someone needs to do the original movie again and add your vision as to how it all could have ended. Wonderful work David! You are and have always been a visionary for sure!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• SteveNeill
    replied

OK, Steve. Sorry for the delay. Here's the story:

From age ten I knew I was going to build models professionally for the movies; just about every free moment of my life -- through school and a career in the Navy -- was spent studying and practicing the Craft.

One vital aspect of the discipline is learning how to draw, both technical and sketch type work; stuff you can work from and stuff to tickle the creative juices of you and the client alike.

One such exercise was to draft a very famous SF movie spacecraft, 'The Ark of Space', and make the presentation in an ersatz 'general arrangement', three-view, orthographic format. Complete title-block, technical authentication blocks and listing of associated drawing numbers. Very official looking. That project done during off-hours aboard the USS YOSEMITE on a Mediterranean half-year deployment -- something to add to my ever-expanding resume; my door-opener for the day Ellie and I would march into Burbank and demand a high-paying model-builder's job.

Later, I added axillary views to illustrate suggested model building techniques -- all that condensed into an article for one of the many model magazines I was contributing to at the time.

Professionals either publish, or they perish! Mom taught me that. And she was right.

Much to my surprise, that drawing recently found its way into the pages of Bill Warren's magnum opus of SF movies, KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES. I don't know if he's aware that the drawing is merely a work of fan-art and not from the Parmount files. Well... cat's out of the bag now!

And in time we did get some movie and TV work -- and that portfolio, featuring sketch, conceptual, orthographic, and story-board work got us the jobs. A life well planned.

I love seeing this. And thank you for taking the time. I especially love the drawing of the ark after the landing. Genius.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    Looks like another Skipjack? How many times have you built the same boat over and over? And they always come out different each time and always looking great! And I learn something each time seeing it.
    Oh, Christ!... now I have to be nice to you???!!!!

OK. I'll play. Just talking the 1/96 D&E Miniatures ones, mind you:

Total -- Ellie and I assembled (most of them no farther than primer gray) -- at least a hundred. Most of them kits we sold before associating with Mr. Caswell. I would say at least twenty of those assembled, fully completed, functional and painted -- most of those weathered. Several turn-key jobs, some for friends, and the rest I ran till someone made me an offer I could not refuse.

Each model submarine from the 90's on became a test canvas for painting and weathering studies. It never ends -- only gets better (with the occasional goof... but we won't talk about those!).

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Looks like another Skipjack? How many times have you built the same boat over and over? And they always come out different each time and always looking great! And I learn something each time seeing it.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Thank you very much David! Your advice is always the final word, and it is most appreciated!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied

What purpose does the brass tube serve anyway?

Leave a comment:

replied
    David,

I am sorry for jumping your build blog! But I do need your advice on my 2.4 MHZ receiver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NAUTILUS 4.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	169210Click image for larger version

Name:	NAUTILUS 5.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	169211

Do I need to install a 3/16"X 1" brass tube on coaxial cable install? Or can I eliminate it and just follow your photo that is listed below. None of my receivers have the button clip, so I need to solder my coaxial cable to the receiver as the photo above shows. Curiosity! What purpose does the brass tube serve anyway?

Name:	NAUTILUS 6.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	169212

Thanks for your help and advice on this David.

Rob
    I know not the function of the brass tube. I've operated systems without it, and the radio link works.

Proceed as I've instructed.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    David,

I am sorry for jumping your build blog! But I do need your advice on my 2.4 MHZ receiver.

Name:	NAUTILUS 4.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	169210Click image for larger version

Name:	NAUTILUS 5.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	169211

Do I need to install a 3/16"X 1" brass tube on coaxial cable install? Or can I eliminate it and just follow your photo that is listed below. None of my receivers have the button clip, so I need to solder my coaxial cable to the receiver as the photo above shows. Curiosity! What purpose does the brass tube serve anyway?

Name:	NAUTILUS 6.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	169212

Thanks for your help and advice on this David.

Rob

Leave a comment:

Working...