X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Nice operating system.

The torpedo doors are closed when the pin on the turntable is in 2 o'clock clock position and open in the 6 o'clock position. Just add another pin for the other door. But only one door will be open at one time.

Think you have to open up or lengthen the forward portion of the internal guide rails to the length of the entire door to enable the turntable to rotate in opposite directions.

From above with both doors closed the operating pins on the turntable would be in the 9 and 3 o'clock position respectively. If you wamt to open say the starboard door you rotate the turntable clockwise 90° so that the S'board pin would be in the 6 o' clock position. The pin on the port tube now goes to the near 12 o'clock position. Two opposing magnets on the inside of the door would ensure the adjacent door remains closed
    Last edited by redboat219; 04-05-2013, 10:57 PM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Romel,

You're getting warm on the door mechanism, try again.

As for using magnets to keep the doors shut, once my torpedo is launched it has to come near the torpedo door, which holds a magnet in your theory, hmmmmm, my torps are magnetic activated, so it will shut down my torpedo.
      Must be a funny sight, two torpedo's halfway out of your type XXIII, and then running the gauntlett for evading depth charges, a Uboot captain's wet dream.

The work will continue at the Skunkworks, be patient.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• modelnut
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jun 2011

I have the doors installed in my static build of this kit. It turns out that with the magnets in place you can't open both doors at once wide enough to release both torpedoes. Very Angry

I'm was planning on adding the inner tube doors and rigging up a system to pull both doors open and lock them in place. But with those magnets preventing that I will have to rethink this. I don't think moving the magnets further aft along the door will work. The strain of fighting the magnets might be too much for the styrene either in the long run or the short run.

I wonder. Will foam keep its spring after repeated use? Maybe a gentle spring . . . Oy.

- Leelan

Comment

• modelnut
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jun 2011

Almost forgot! There is a bit of instructions not included with the kit. They are only online should you be looking hard enough to find them. They have to do with the tower running light assemblies:

Click image for larger version

Name:	067.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	76955

- Leelan

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by modelnut
            I have the doors installed in my static build of this kit. It turns out that with the magnets in place you can't open both doors at once wide enough to release both torpedoes. Very Angry

I'm was planning on adding the inner tube doors and rigging up a system to pull both doors open and lock them in place. But with those magnets preventing that I will have to rethink this. I don't think moving the magnets further aft along the door will work. The strain of fighting the magnets might be too much for the styrene either in the long run or the short run.

I wonder. Will foam keep its spring after repeated use? Maybe a gentle spring . . . Oy.

- Leelan
            Just get your weapons to work. Sweat the little details (practical shutter-doors) later.

Crawl-walk-run-fly. In that order.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
              Commander
              • May 2009

Could you get a little extra door movement by drilling a hole through the door and glueing the magnets
              flush with the outside surface?
              Spring? How about using a nyon wire tie as a spring. It won't rust.

Sorry we are just filling the time till we get some more of Manfreds amazing build.

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

All those idea's with using a spring, T-rap or foam won't work, your servo's can't pull that much force, as for the room for shooting both torpedo's, i have to open up the door across the centerline of my boat to get enough clearance for my torpedo, there is simply not enough room.
                So molesting your doors to get the magnet lower won't help, i tested this configuration with different postions of the magnets on the doors, if you place the magnet more into the direction of the tube, the force to keep the door shut will be too less, so that's a bummer too.

For now i'm refining the design with good results, most time consuming is testing, rebuilding, testing, rebuilding, testing, etc, i allready had my eureka moments, but you guys have to wait for the results, i've got my goldplated !!!!!! parts from the shop, have to secure them first inside the safe.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MFR1964
                  All those idea's with using a spring, T-rap or foam won't work, your servo's can't pull that much force, as for the room for shooting both torpedo's, i have to open up the door across the centerline of my boat to get enough clearance for my torpedo, there is simply not enough room.
                  So molesting your doors to get the magnet lower won't help, i tested this configuration with different postions of the magnets on the doors, if you place the magnet more into the direction of the tube, the force to keep the door shut will be too less, so that's a bummer too.

For now i'm refining the design with good results, most time consuming is testing, rebuilding, testing, rebuilding, testing, etc, i allready had my eureka moments, but you guys have to wait for the results, i've got my goldplated !!!!!! parts from the shop, have to secure them first inside the safe.

Manfred.
                  damn tease!!!

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

NEWS FLASH!!!!, NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!,

I managed to get into the highly secured development area, and could take some pics before security discovered me,

As i can analyse from this picture they use a double disk to get the doors open.

They used two rods to get independent action, O boy i gotta run !!!!!!, i hear the bloodhounds!!!!!, more to be followed.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Why not cut 2 grooves through the PCB like this, ( ). Much simpler...
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Romel,

It seems simpler, but it's not going to work that way, there is not enough travel to open the doors completely across the centerline, the problem with the Bronco XXIII is, they placed the tubes near the centerline, more ideal would be a position against the outer hull parts, i've build it this way at my type VII and type XVIIb, giving me more clearance for the torpedo's, and lesser motion at the doors.
                        Modyfing the Bronco in such way would create more work than it's worth the time, even when you've done that, you still have to solve the mechanics to open the doors.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Oct 2010

Manfred-
                          Wwhat about modifying the bulkhead that holds the tubes themselves? Could you split the bulkhead down the center, insert a section of styrene/plasticard and move the tubes closer to the side of the hull?
                          -Sam

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Sam,

Like you mentioned, the best solution would be, rebuilding both bulkheads to bring the tubes near the outer hull, i stick to the position provided by Bronco, only disadvantage is, i can only give a snapshot each, instead of firing both, for me that won't be a problem.
                            It's way too much effort to rebuild those tubes, only with the goal to fire both torpedo's at once, i rather put more time in getting this baby turned into a working rc sub.

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MFR1964
                              Sam,

Like you mentioned, the best solution would be, rebuilding both bulkheads to bring the tubes near the outer hull, i stick to the position provided by Bronco, only disadvantage is, i can only give a snapshot each, instead of firing both, for me that won't be a problem.
                              It's way too much effort to rebuild those tubes, only with the goal to fire both torpedo's at once, i rather put more time in getting this baby turned into a working rc sub.

Manfred.
                              Manfred-
                              I thought you could not fire the torpedo at all with the shutter opening you had. I misunderstood...

Comment

• MFR1964
                                • Sep 2010

Last few weeks i had another project to be made, She Who Must Be Obeyed had gotten from a friend some little stone guys, project Emperor Li was born.
                                I'll show you guys the results,

This i like her the most, laying on the ground at my feet, admiring my God devine work.

I was inspired by pictures from those guys standing inside their dugged up trenches, and decided to give it a try to replicate it.

Those trenches are made from one piece styrodure high density foam, and cutted into the desired shapes, given a shower of real sand and little rocks from the backside garden, used simple white wood glue to keep all the stuff at their places.
                                In the early days i've made more diorama's, but i was a bit rusty on this one, She Who Must Be Obeyed is pleased, so i can finally get back to the Skunk Works for some serious stuff.
                                Within a few weeks there is the annual meeting overhere, so all boats have to be serviced and ready to drive, busy times ahead.

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...