Converting the Bronco type XXIII to RC

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010
    • 1304

    #76
    It's my pleasure Sam,

    Taking different approaches create problems on their own, if my approach of using the vertical split works, it can also be done by other people, unfortunally i'm not into making commercial molds, so duplicating the bulkheads will be something people have to do on their own, this fact leaves me thinking to start learning pouring some resin.


    Manfred.
    I went underground

    Comment

    • MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010
      • 1304

      #77
      Skunkworks is running at topspeed, today i tagged the rear unit with CA, this step allows me to give a little demonstration how things work in the real live, enjoy the vid.





      Manfred.
      I went underground

      Comment

      • goshawk823
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2010
        • 211

        #78
        that is pretty slick, Manfred. nice, clean break area, and once you've got your SD aligned, it looks like it's a simple fit.
        how do you keep the prop shaft in the SD and the rear shaft to the propeller coupled tightly enough to prevent one shaft spinning without the other (with such a simple connection)?

        Comment

        • MFR1964
          Detail Nut of the First Order
          • Sep 2010
          • 1304

          #79
          Thanks Sam,

          It's becoming even more slick when you get the hang of it, after making the vid i seperated the boat a few times more for practice, once you get more experience in doing this you can take this baby apart in a few seconds.

          Making the connection between the SD and the proplsion shaft was tricky, at first i wanted to use a magnet, but i went for the mechanical way, i'll try to explain.



          If you look at the shaft on the SD you can see there is a piece grinded away, giving you a step.



          At this picture the connection is made between the SD and the shaft with the propellor, the brass connector has on the SD side a opposite grinded step inside as well, actually the same shape as on the SD shaft, placed at this position it will interlock with the shaft from the SD, both halves will unite as one when placed together.
          The brass connector itself is locked onto the propellorshaft with two grubscrews, one near the SD and another one near the brass bearing, it's securing the connector from both sides on the propellor shaft, once you pull out the SD, the connector will stay at it's place complete with the propellor shaft.
          Making this special connector took some time to measure up, and it took some more time on the lathe to turn it to my specs.


          Manfred.
          I went underground

          Comment

          • trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011
            • 3547

            #80
            Manfred,
            Just thinking this through, and I love what you have done, would there be a chance if you needed to do an emergency reverse that the forces involved would separate the halves? you could place a simple pin in to prevent a disconnect and not destroy the easy access.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

            Comment

            • MFR1964
              Detail Nut of the First Order
              • Sep 2010
              • 1304

              #81
              Tom,

              I did some testing after your remark, you need to pull 1,8 kg of force to get the hull parts seperated, overall weight of the sub at this moment is 1,38 kg.
              When doing this test the SD did not came out of the back hullpart, which is logical, the SD itself is connected by two other magnets on the steeringrods, i still have to add three magnetical connections in the front part, the steering of the front divingplanes and the launchtubes.
              All in all, when completed, both halves will be held together by a total number of 9 pair of magnets, i'll probably repeat this test after i've placed those connections simply to see what the outcome will be, i'm not really afraid seperation will happen after a emergency reverse.


              Manfred.
              I went underground

              Comment

              • goshawk823
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Oct 2010
                • 211

                #82
                Originally posted by MFR1964
                Thanks Sam,

                It's becoming even more slick when you get the hang of it, after making the vid i seperated the boat a few times more for practice, once you get more experience in doing this you can take this baby apart in a few seconds.

                Making the connection between the SD and the proplsion shaft was tricky, at first i wanted to use a magnet, but i went for the mechanical way, i'll try to explain.



                If you look at the shaft on the SD you can see there is a piece grinded away, giving you a step.



                At this picture the connection is made between the SD and the shaft with the propellor, the brass connector has on the SD side a opposite grinded step inside as well, actually the same shape as on the SD shaft, placed at this position it will interlock with the shaft from the SD, both halves will unite as one when placed together.
                The brass connector itself is locked onto the propellorshaft with two grubscrews, one near the SD and another one near the brass bearing, it's securing the connector from both sides on the propellor shaft, once you pull out the SD, the connector will stay at it's place complete with the propellor shaft.
                Making this special connector took some time to measure up, and it took some more time on the lathe to turn it to my specs.


                Manfred.
                I see it Manfred. That's how I thought you would have to do it. Make a "key" on each side of the shaft, and place a "cover" it so that it doesn't get sloppy...
                All you need to do (as I saw in your video) was rotate the prop to make sure the "keys" match.
                I'm looking forward to seeing what you are going to do for the torpedoes...
                thanks!
                Sam

                Comment

                • Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 2121

                  #83
                  Nice conversion on this boat.

                  Can't help but think you're going to learn a few new swear words if something goes in the stern of the boat mind you.

                  Comment

                  • trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 3547

                    #84
                    Originally posted by MFR1964
                    Tom,

                    I did some testing after your remark, you need to pull 1,8 kg of force to get the hull parts seperated, overall weight of the sub at this moment is 1,38 kg.
                    When doing this test the SD did not came out of the back hullpart, which is logical, the SD itself is connected by two other magnets on the steeringrods, i still have to add three magnetical connections in the front part, the steering of the front divingplanes and the launchtubes.
                    All in all, when completed, both halves will be held together by a total number of 9 pair of magnets, i'll probably repeat this test after i've placed those connections simply to see what the outcome will be, i'm not really afraid seperation will happen after a emergency reverse.


                    Manfred.

                    O.K. that is great! Can you teach me how you figured it out? I need to learn more!
                    Peace,
                    Tom
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

                    Comment

                    • MFR1964
                      Detail Nut of the First Order
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 1304

                      #85
                      Sam,

                      It had to be a simple connection and yet relaible too, the launchers will be indeed the next chapter, they allready exsists in the raw, first have some glueing to do before i start with those, one step at the time, be patient.


                      Andy,

                      Those new swearwords i've allready learned during this build, i will close up both halves only after some rigurous testing, for now tape will hold her together.


                      Tom,

                      I've used a small portable electronic scale weight, you can attach objects to it by hanging them on the hook, i've attached the hook to the frontpart and started to pull untill both halves seperated, the peak weight was registred on the scale, giving me a readout of 1,8 kg pullingforce.
                      Today i've changed the positions of the magnets, that means, lesser material between the magnets, now i need to pull a wopping 5,5 kg to get both halves seperated, that should do the trick.
                      Opening up procedure is easy, with the boat on the stand you gently try to break the backbone by forcing both far ends down, this movement will seperate both halves.


                      Manfred.
                      Last edited by MFR1964; 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM.
                      I went underground

                      Comment

                      • trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 3547

                        #86
                        Manfred,
                        i tend to over think and miss the simple answer. Using a scale and pulling until it separates is a simple answer. Here I was thinking there was a mathematical formula. Lesson learned, thank you very much.
                        Peace,
                        tom
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

                        Comment

                        • MFR1964
                          Detail Nut of the First Order
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 1304

                          #87
                          This week i ordered some stuff from the webshop, awaiting the stuff to be delivered i started with building up the launchers, and found a simple solution for opening the torpedo doors.





                          Building the launchers was a fairly straight job, i allready had made some components, for now everything is secured by CA, just in case i have to adjust things, i can break it free easely.



                          Making the doors work was a different story, first i replaced the plastic hinge for a more robust copper tube.



                          Lined out the door to get the best fit.



                          This is my solution for opening the doors, with my other subs they work with a spring and wires, since you can't get inside anymore i had to design a more robust system, which will be using low maintenance, and limited moving parts.



                          By turning on the shaft, which is connected to the circel, the little rod will pull the door open, in closed situation this pin will keep the door locked at it's place.



                          Shuffed in one of my electric torps, to test if there is enough clearance, i have to open up the door just across the centerline.



                          A view from the front, as you can see there is enough room for the torpedo to get out of the launcher, to get this much room i had to place the hinge as far as possible on the door.

                          For now everything is build raw, i do this each time, first make a testcase, try it, and make the final version, still a lot of work for the Skunkworks.


                          Manfred.
                          I went underground

                          Comment

                          • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Moderator
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 12301

                            #88
                            Slick!!!! I hate you!
                            Who is John Galt?

                            Comment

                            • MFR1964
                              Detail Nut of the First Order
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 1304

                              #89
                              My sweet revenge for my lost fortune for buying your stuff, hahahahahah

                              Manfred.
                              I went underground

                              Comment

                              • He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                Moderator
                                • Aug 2008
                                • 12301

                                #90
                                Originally posted by MFR1964
                                My sweet revenge for my lost fortune for buying your stuff, hahahahahah

                                Manfred.
                                Touche, sir!
                                Who is John Galt?

                                Comment

                                Working...