Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Grinding away on the details, added a item inside the conningtower, and did some research on the snorkeldevice, as a bonus i'll show you guys what i'm building right now.

On the drawings and on some pictures there was a kind of step up visible, futher investication revealed this construction, used the part from Bronco as a mold for the UZO mount.

Making such a construction at that place creates a problem of trapping air, solved this by adding a floodhole just under the UZO mount, added this way it will stay out of sight when placed inside the conningtower.

Cutted away a part of the deck just under the step up construction, allowing the water to enter easely.

Finding pictures of the actual snorkeldevice itself was a bit difficult, most pics are too far away without details, dugged out my archive of books, and found these, combined with the drawings i made a start to rebuild the one from Bronco.

First step was, to make the one from Bronco hollow and adding the open space on top of the snorkel.

I have a complete collection of small hex bolts, used the 1 mm one's to add them onto the future flanges, still working on this.

Freshly made, i still have to remove the CA to get a clean look, the ball is a pellet from a airsoftgun, it's just the right size, have high hopes to let it move on my snorkelhead, did some testing, to be continued.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2010

Great stuff Manfred. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
      sam

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Manfred,
        Why not make that snorkel head operational. You do need to find an alternative for that airsoft pellet as it's not bouyant ( had the idea in my head so i tried to see if it'll float).
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

Hello guys, it took me some time, but i'm back on the track, i had to deal first with some personal issue's.

Romel had send me a PM about the my early SAS, i think it's more usefull to answer this in public

Unfortunally i don't have pics from the system as build in the 80"s, it worked, that was all that counted, i must admit, we didn't used it as the way David uses it now.
          For us it was more a safety feature, most boats where run on snort style, we placed a one way valve on our closed ballasttanks, the boat itself was slightly pressurised at the launch, when needed, you could use the overpressure, in combination with the one way valve to get your boat to the surface, the float on top of the boat allowed you to equalize the pressure.
          David combined this into a much better way of use, so it can be used as often as you want.

Despite my setbacks i still managed to work on the type XXIII, first i had to finish the snorkelhead, an make a start with a new scope, working right now on the solution to get those things moving, pictures.

Started to build the details from styrene plate and placed the float on a working hinge.

Added some stainless steel tubing to get a more scale look, also placed the radar detection antenna and placed some aluminum mesh.

My completed snorkelhead, much more the same like the one on my pictures.

The inner float can be moved, i know i'm a detailnut, but making this piece working like the real one would be insane.

Last week i made a new scope on the lathe, right now i'm waiting for some stainless steel tubing to make things work, when i've got my ordered stuff i can start making the moving parts.

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2010

I was wondering where you went off to.
            nice work Manfred. can't wait to see the final product.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Insane work, Manfred. Think I found (well, actually, Gene Berger found it) why my Type-23 was pitching down: had up-thrust in the propeller shaft.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Glad to know you're the one who messed it up.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• goshawk823
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  Insane work, Manfred. Think I found (well, actually, Gene Berger found it) why my Type-23 was pitching down: had up-thrust in the propeller shaft.

David
                  David-
                  was it because the bearing component was bonded into the hull at an angle, or is there an issue with the resin part itself? (in other words, do you have to redo your prop part master?)
                  -sam

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by goshawk823
                    David-
                    was it because the bearing component was bonded into the hull at an angle, or is there an issue with the resin part itself? (in other words, do you have to redo your prop part master?)
                    -sam
                    Sam, and the others: I should not have posted my issues here at Manfred's thread, I've answered and will follow up on what I've done at my Type-23 thread, here, http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...ghlight=bronco

Sorry Manfred, I should have thought first before posting on your thread.

... and I'm simply lov'n that snorkel head-valve you are working up. First-class stuff from you, as usual.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

The OSA is on hold untill next summer, now it's time to tackle the XXIII, since David has some demonical issue's with this boat, i re-read his entire building report, just to see if we missed something.

The plan of attack will be,

- finish up the scope and snorkel, and keep them static for now, same story with the torpedo tubes/hatches

- getting that darned SD wired up and running

- to get a difference between David's boat and mine i won't add those floodholes at the keel, just keep the standard floodholes, those floodholes at the top under the wooden modules, will stay for venting out the air.

- also have some idea's about steering both front/rear divingplanes on one channel, i run my type VII the same way very smoothly at peroscope depth at any speed.

- i'll trim this boat without painting her, just in chase if i bumb into problems like David, this is going to be a nice adventure.

If you think by yourself, wheredoes he get the time to do this?, well, i lost my job due to the so called economical crisis, so there is plenty of usefull time to hunt down the demons inside this boat.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

I'm shifting gears, decided to get me a working SD first, all the basics will be inside, rushing things will set me back and it will take more time to correct that.

Borrowed the rack from my allmost naked Kilo SD, used it as my solution for getting all three servo's in the front, two for running the hatches and one for my forward divingplanes.

It was a bit tricky to get both pumps in, found a nice place for the ESC, and placed the Sombra on the ESC rack, you have to fight with the room you get.

Turning it around you have the four servo's, for now the cables are fixed with T-raps, i know myself good enough that this will be my startingpoint, it will cost me some more T-raps but it's worth the effort.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Made some nice progress on the SD, did some dryfitting and made all cables inside complete with connectors.

Dryfitting both bulkheads, just to see if there is room enough to stuff more inside.

Both sides of the SD with all needed connectors, first i've made all scematics and started with soldering.

Now this part of the SD is done, i can build all connectors onto both bulkheads and make my batterypack, hope to get this SD up and running next week.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Skunkworks is running at topspeed, made my batterypack, finished up the front bulkhead, cabled the ADF, etc

Attached all connectors to the front bulkhead part, gave the ADF some connectors, it will be placed in the frontpart of the SD, and made my batterypack, those are Eneloop batteries, less discharge over a longer period, it's 7,2 volts 2500 mA.

Right now doing some major surgery on the rearpart, soldering up the connectors and placed a fuse inside the main power circuit and BEC circuit, when this is done i can start building up the SD and make some dryfitting inside the hull, just to see if everything is in working order.

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Manfred, Im sorry, maybe I missed it. Whats the purpose of having two pumps?
                              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• MFR1964
                                • Sep 2010

Mark,

One for running the SAS, and the other for raising the scope and snorkel, if i succeed in getting those things to work offcourse.

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...