Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Plenty of waterproof ESC's with 3amp output. Brushed and brushless.

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

New diagram/layout....
      Click image for larger version Name:	Skipjack diagram.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	146954[/QUOTE]

Ken, I'm missing something. I see you have a BEC from the battery going into the receiver for power. Don't all modern ESC's have a built in BEC? I just plug my ESC into channel 3 on my targets receiver. Is this just extra protection or a power issue? Forgive my ignorance.
      Casey
      Last edited by Das Boot; 05-17-2021, 12:08 AM.
      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

A quick overview of BECs (Battery Eliminator Circuits) and why it's a good idea to use them in place of integrated BECs. Thanks for watching!Bob Martinthe RC...

this video outlines what a BEC is and why a lot of people like them versus using the built-in BEC in many speed controllers.

Bob

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

Casey, Bob covers everything as to why using one in the video. The ESC I am using has an output of 1.2 amps. In my testing, with as many things working, running that I could, I measured 0.5 - 0.7 amps drawn from the BEC. So adding a BEC with an output of 3 amps ensures I wouldn't be overtaxing the ESC BEC.

But, in my setup, the ESC-motor is getting noise from the two BEC's that I tried so far. According to Mtroniks I need to use a opto-isolater that they sell. Can't find it in the US and it's costly to ship it across the pond. This week I'll be trying to add additional caps to the motor to see if the problem clears up. If that doesn't work then may go back to the ESC BEC and not use a dedicated BEC. Or will have to go for another ESC.

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Ken just for s's and g's... Try disconnecting the black wire to your ESC from the radio also.. and just leave the signal wire connected you could be getting something trying to find a ground/back feed through the m-tronics ESC... The ESC and radio already have power and ground without that black wire... So they should not need it anyway-just a thought-BG
            Last edited by Bob Gato; 05-17-2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

Good thought Bob. Tried your suggestion, it was actually worse.

Made a video to show everyone the problem. The stuttering may not be a big deal, I don't like it. I may just not use a BEC and stick to the ESC BEC. As you can see at the end of the video, the current draw is 230ma which the ESC BEC can handle.

Last edited by Ken_NJ; 05-19-2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

LOL Sorry man!!

Great video-tells all! If you are still on the hunt for a UBEC, I wonder if you could use a buck converter-I use them for accessories-they'll take up to 40 volts and hold it at your setting at least 1.3 volts below the input voltage regardless of changes in input voltage-they are quite cheap...and small. I've bought them for as low as 10 units for $7...dial in the voltage and it just stays and it doesn't waste power as heat. These are 3amps at $4 each-but if you shop around you can do better . https://www.amazon.com/LM2596-Conver...a-754523673785

Click image for larger version  Name:	614cOQRcjqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	149962
                Last edited by Bob Gato; 05-18-2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qrXxNlTTYKI

this video outlines what a BEC is and why a lot of people like them versus using the built-in BEC in many speed controllers.

Bob
                  Well hell, that may be why I've burned up 2 ESC's in that fishing boat. That's probably the only one of your video's I haven't watched.
                  Last edited by Das Boot; 05-17-2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

Casey-this might help- I use it on my Mark V and I can access 10 amps combined from both ESCs at the same time. I came up with this a few years back-it also keeps my radio running if one side fuse blows. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Diodes-anyone

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Thanks, Bob. What I don't get is I was using a 15 amp ESC then a 40. Both would work, get hot, stop and work again. I imagine it's the thermal SCRAM, but I don't know why. I never ran it full bore. Read your post. I've used diodes countless times to incur voltage drops in ham radio gear, especially the old Heathkit stuff. That's all we used until the surface mount stuff came out.
                      Last edited by Das Boot; 05-17-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

Man I am sorry-when you said you " burnt up two ESCs" my head jumped to twin motors-the diodes wouldn't come into play on a single-it really sounds like it might be a "big Prop" mismatch with the motor or very long leads from the battery to the ESC.(Ron van Sommeren from over in RCG has done a lot of writing on the water hammer type effect of long supply leads and the slow death of model ESCs)

Please feel free to PM me if you want as not to hijack Ken's thread.
                        Last edited by Bob Gato; 05-18-2021, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                          Great video-tells all! If you are still on the hunt for a UBEC, I wonder if you could use a buck converter-I use them for accessories]
                          Yea thought about those, they have some micro or mini ones. Just wondering how many different things I'd have to buy before I find the one that works, and how many of them will end up in my 'spare parts box'

Comment

• Bob Gato
                            Captain
                            • Feb 2019

Probably just one thing -a new ESC but if you want to try a buck converter, PM me your address-I'll mail you one

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

Thanks Bob. Was playing around with things this morning. Might have a fix. Will get back later about it.

Comment

• Das Boot
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Dec 2019

May try one of these.
                                Amazon.com: Buck Converter 12v to 5v, DROK Voltage Regulator Board DC 6.5-36V 24v Step Down to DC 1.2V-32V 12 v Volt Transformer Reducer 4.5A 75W CC CV Power Supply Module: Home Audio & Theater

Comment

Working...