Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

I think it's been about two years since I 'finished' the Skipjack. And I'm still working on it and getting it to be 'perfect'. David helped me by replacing a cracked cylinder and the safety float valve. Now so far no water intrusion. Over the winter I will be improving the trim so I'm ready for Groton in 24.

The following should not need to be done but I did anyway in order to protect the BLM and AD2 since they are in a vulnerable spot being under push rod penetrations in the bulkhead.

I save the smooth sections of the acetate containers that spinach comes it. I has been useful for cutting tape when I made masks for the Skipjack. You can cut the tape with scoring thru the acetate. It takes quite a bit of pressure to cut thru it. I try to remove the sticky labels so I have a complete clear sheet. Goo Gone works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	173439

Name:	IMG_1609.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	173438

To protect the BLM and AD2 I cut a section to approximate size. I scored the acetate with 1-2 passes of the blade which allowed bends to be created. Those bends are strong, unlike what styrene would do. I also created tabs that folded around so corners can be glued with CA creating a sturdy box.

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	173435

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	173437

Once it was glued, and a little more trimming, it fits nicely in position to protect the electronics from any possible drips. And it's clear so you can still see the status LED's.

Name:	IMG_1607.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	173436

A for 'what it's worth'. Probably has other uses as well.

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Something you can do is squirt a little silicone RTV in at each end of the heat shrink of each device, which effectively pots the boards, and protects them well against any unwanted water ingress but it can be removed readily enough if the device requires servicing.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

Yea you can do that as well. I like my method. Probably others ways.

Comment

Working...