Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Yes, it can help pay for the build so you can have funds also for the next one.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

It never pays to play.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crazygary
        Captain
        • Sep 2012

"Sin City" is a fun place!! Some seriously crazy-ass people out there in the desert!! Hah!!
        I fit right in!!

Ya just gotta "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..."
        (Thanks Kenny!!)

CG

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Decided to go with colored glass versus colored bulb. So painted clear red and clear green on the light cover.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_302.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	90878

Then I tried something silly. Could I drill a tiny hole on the edge of a plastic tube? then do it eight more times? and make them even?
          The short answer is yes, sorta, and no.
          I drilled .031" hole on the edge of the 5/16" plastic tube. id that eight time, but did not get them even. Stuck lengths of .030" rods in and glued them in.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_303.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	90879
          Let it set completely. Then trimmed the rods and sanded the bolts as well as thinned the base.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_304.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	90880
          It will work for me.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crazygary
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

Looks like a flange to me!!

Good trick, Tom!!

Gotta remember that one!

CG

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

If you used heat stretched styrene rods with hexagonal cross section you'll get bolt heads.
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• crazygary
                Captain
                • Sep 2012

Sounds plausible, redboat219!!
                Good call!

Scaling them to what you need may be a little problematic. But, the trial-and-error process
                would certainly give you some useable data!!

Might have to try that just for fun!!

CG

Comment

• crazygary
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2012

Wow!!

I just took a quick look at the Plastruct, Inc. offering of hexagonal rod,
                  and they're showing it available as small as .5mm. Who'da thunk it!!??

I'd like to see their extrusion setup for something that small!! Hah!!

CG

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by crazygary
                    Wow!!

I just took a quick look at the Plastruct, Inc. offering of hexagonal rod,
                    and they're showing it available as small as .5mm. Who'da thunk it!!??

I'd like to see their extrusion setup for something that small!! Hah!!

CG
                    In that case it's just a matter of slicing off sections with a razor blade
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

BTW, Tom!!

Cool idea with regard to your lenses!
                      You "Da Man"!!

CG

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Thank you Gary!

Name:	Bronco Type 23_305.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	90922
                        Began by melting the tip under a flame. I quickly saw that was not going to work. Then I used a thick CA to round out the tip, it seemed to catch the melted part and make a nice bulb. Then this morning I needed to dip it in the thin because of a bubble. O.K. slot machine handle set aside to dry.
                        Installed railing and antenna base. Broke external railing (twice). I just know that these details I am doing might last a patrol or two, but probably not much more. Antennas will disappear, poles will break, but for one patrol it will look good.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_306.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	90920

Name:	Bronco Type 23_307.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	90921

Comment

• alad61
                          Commander
                          • Jan 2012

Tom I know I haven't commented much on your XXIII but I am really enjoying what you are doing plus I get a kick from the tips n tricks you've done to date.
                          Cheers,
                          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Alec, Thank you, I am glad these postings are of value and I appreciate your encouragement.
                            Earlier I asked about a white light for navigation on the Type XXIII. I saw a model of a Type XXIII with it on the periscope and wanted proof the Type XXIII used it. A gentleman by the name ofMichael shared this photo, but said it was for a Type VIIc (U-281)

Name:	Bronco Type 23_308.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	90932
                            That is cool, but then he also shared this one (U-2360):

Name:	Bronco Type 23_309.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	90933
                            Bingo!
                            I also read that the oval depicted on the Bronco model's sail (aft and bottom) was a housing for a light. I will try to find that source again.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

The oval opening is not a light. Michael posted "According to the drawing in VOZM it's a "Tauklüse", means hawse for ropes" . That is why you check your sources.
                              so the decision is whether the periscope mounting or the unique light housing on the upper aft conning tower.

Speaking of checking your sources, the drawings in the Bronco instructions are not accurate. I can not find a photo that shows the black waterline being used and found that ships use them, but u-boats never did. I guess it looks pretty.

Comment

• MFR1964
                                Detail Nut of the First Order
                                • Sep 2010

Ahhhhh, you're now a official member of the dark side, lovely details, a feast for my eyes, now you know why i always want to research a type of boat for a year, it will spare you the drawbacks when you discover new details.
                                Spoken about details, at the back of your peroscope protector there has to be a round floodhole, that's what i've found on researching my pictures, a minor thing, but most usefull to get away those pesty airpockets.

Manfred.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...