Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Thank you Manfred, noted and will do on the hole! I saw that looking at pictures, so will add. Because there are so few photos of the XXIII and so many differences, you can put any number of things on and who is to say you are wrong?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Yep, you've got a certain amount of liberty building this type of boat, no one was the same, i've opted for that floodhole ladder on the side of the conningtower and drilled some extra holes on top, matching the conningtower drawings inside that XXIII book, just to make it different.
      The lack of pictures doesn't enlighten our job on this boat, there must be a lot more pictures inside the archives of both the English and American navy, still highly classified offcourse, they must have sliced this boat in parts to learn as much as possible about the latest technology.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

What can we do about the life preserver attached in some pictures to the front of the periscope protector?
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Mark,
          I am working my way up the conning tower, but I will probably leave it with a bracket only and no life preserver, like this modeler did:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	TypeXXIII_Preserver_bracket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	90954
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

I got a surprise in the mail today, the radio from the build contest.
            Thank you Mike and David for the WFly radio. It will be put to good use!

Name:	Bronco Type 23_312.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	91013
            It is very cool and can't wait to give it a try!
            Big THANK YOU!

Comment

• matthewnimmo
              Commander
              • Dec 2011

Congrats! How does one get in these build contest? Didn't think much about it when I started my gato (almost done with it now)
              ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Thank you Matthew! Every once in awhile Mike and David open up and setup a contest. You will see it posted.

So I wanted to share a thought on the Type XXIII. Would a map on the map table be a little corny? Here is the map I found:

Name:	Bronco Type 23_313a.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	91014
                Sprayed it with clear lacquer for initial coat. Let it dry and rolled it up. Once I am ready to apply the map, I will soak it to hopefully get a bit of a sag or looser feel. So this is for your thoughts.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_313.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	91015Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_314.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	91016
                Now, if you guys think this will look o.k., I will need to take one of David's men and reshape him to be looking at the map. That being said, I put one in the tower and he looked large. So I measured him and he came out to be 6'2" or so.
                Here is what a 5'7" man would be (space between calipers)

Name:	Bronco Type 23_310.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	91017
                Last edited by trout; 04-05-2014, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Nice touch.

But I don't think they'll take a map to the bridge in real life. Could get wet or blown away...
                  Last edited by redboat219; 04-05-2014, 02:40 AM.
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

I see your point. On each side there is a pull up shelf labeled as a map table (will post pictures - there is a story). Maybe it was used for the drive-in movies. a place to put popcorn and drinks (and for us old timers, a clip on speaker).
                    Anyway, the story on the shelf. After shaping, putting hinges on, painting, and mounting its twin, I was ready to attach it. Holding it in tweezers I opened the bottle up pulled the cap with brush out. The shelf popped out of the tweezers and up and over into the bottle. What a pain it was to get it out! It was soft and gooey. I set it aside to dry with a dread that I will have to remake them (done as a pair). The paint was destroyed, looks like it was in a fire, and a gouge where the tweezers grabbed it. Sheesh.

Comment

• vital.spark
                      Commander
                      • May 2010

First of all mariners use charts not maps! As a costal boat you can bet your sweet ass they would take a chart up to the bridge when necessary!

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Real men don't need ****ing maps or charts.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                          I got a surprise in the mail today, the radio from the build contest.
                          Thank you Mike and David for the WFly radio. It will be put to good use!
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]27168[/ATTACH]
                          It is very cool and can't wait to give it a try!
                          Big THANK YOU!
                          Hey, it's going to a good home where Mike and I know it will not sit in an attic, waiting for your widow to off-load it at the community rummage-sale. (Which is the fate of so many r/c submarine kits and devices these days).

I love these WFly r/c systems: simple, robust, and I can do all the mixing, end-point, servo-reversing, and model-memory adjustments I need. Got two already, may get a third.

You guy's wan't your first and last submarine r/c system -- here it is! Get 'em before the FCC gives the bands away to the I-phone people.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                            Thank you Matthew! Every once in awhile Mike and David open up and setup a contest. You will see it posted.

So I wanted to share a thought on the Type XXIII. Would a map on the map table be a little corny? Here is the map I found:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]27169[/ATTACH]
                            Sprayed it with clear lacquer for initial coat. Let it dry and rolled it up. Once I am ready to apply the map, I will soak it to hopefully get a bit of a sag or looser feel. So this is for your thoughts.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]27170[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27171[/ATTACH]
                            Now, if you guys think this will look o.k., I will need to take one of David's men and reshape him to be looking at the map. That being said, I put one in the tower and he looked large. So I measured him and he came out to be 6'2" or so.
                            Here is what a 5'7" man would be (space between calipers)
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]27172[/ATTACH]
                            Love the map thing! brings the conn to life. Did the same thing on a 1/12 model of the (then proposed) COLLINS class submarine control room. And I plugged in my little joke: I had on the navigation table a back-lit map of Kiel harbor. Remember, these were going to be Australian operated submarines. Some sharp-eyed SOB at a trade-show told my client what it was and the client (Raytheon, I think) sent me a nasty-gram

I'm 6', 2". YOU GOT A PROBLEM with tall German's!???..... We Aryan's will not be diminished!

I'm loving what you're doing to that boat of yours -- you detail freak, you.

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2012

Yeah!! We doan need no steenking charts!!

I settle for Captain Jack Sparrows' broken compass, and de north star!!

Avanti, Capitano Guido!!

CG

Comment

• redboat219
                                Admiral
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by crazygary

I settle for Captain Jack Sparrows' broken compass
                                How about putting one of these on the bridge.
                                Find the perfect handmade gift, vintage & on-trend clothes, unique jewelry, and more… lots more.

Comment

Working...