Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Das Boot
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Not at the moment. Just for curiosity, why do you need a fittings kit? or what in the fittings kit is the most important thing to you for the build?
    I had noticed that one was available a few years ago and was curious. Actually, I got this kit on a whim because they are scarce. I also have several more irons in the fire before I even consider starting.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Originally posted by Das Boot
    Are the fittings kit for this boat still available?
    Not at the moment. Just for curiosity, why do you need a fittings kit? or what in the fittings kit is the most important thing to you for the build?

Leave a comment:

• Ken_NJ
    replied
    Hoping Bob gets to them sometime soon Casey. But he has a lot on his plate. There is another thread about this that 3-4 people were looking for the kits, including me.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Are the fittings kit for this boat still available?

Leave a comment:

• Scarecrow7087
    replied
    Thanks Kazzer glad to hear that as I have all the gear from you lads to get started on my own humble attempt. I only made the above mention as it seemed the question was being asked. Sorry for the late reply that darn four letter word, dare I mention it........"WORK" got in the way of my fun for a while. BTW will there be a build comp this year?

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scarecrow7087
    I seem to remember a few years ago in model boats mag here in the US. They had the circuit diagrams for a lost signal system. All you had to do was switch off the TX and the gizmo would activate any fail safe it was hooked up to. Though for the life of me I cannot remember which issue it was in. All my copies got lost during one of my many move while in the military
    Our ADF Pitch controller and most Mtronics ESCs have failsafes built in, so I don't think you need a specific failsafe.

Leave a comment:

• Scarecrow7087
    replied
    I seem to remember a few years ago in model boats mag here in the US. They had the circuit diagrams for a lost signal system. All you had to do was switch off the TX and the gizmo would activate any fail safe it was hooked up to. Though for the life of me I cannot remember which issue it was in. All my copies got lost during one of my many move while in the military

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Love to see your drawing Warpatroller.

For modern boats I was thinking about using a mock Seal Delivery Vehicle or DryDock Shelter as the rescue bouy.
    Would a McCann chamber on the aft deck of the Gato be out of place?

BTW, Would a fish finder sonar be able to discern a boat stuck on the bottom?
    Last edited by redboat219; 07-26-2014, 07:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Warpatroller
    replied
    Sorry to hear you lost your XXIII, Tom. That sucks.. I was notified by an email, sent from the forum, as I haven't been on here in a while..

I agree with Manfred's "rescue buoy" solution. Even if you have a gas backup, things can happen that could still prevent the sub from ever coming back up on its own. I think it's the best way to eliminate having to dive down into murky water looking for a sunken boat.

More than a few years ago, I drew a diagram of a buoy system for a XXIII. The float was to be located underneath the main hatch in the tower. A spool, with the line wrapped around it, was to be located inside the diesel exhaust fairing, aft of the tower. On mine, I was thinking that the main hatch would be released (by a failsafe) and flip open, allowing the buoy to escape and rise up out of the tower. Subsequently, floating to the water's surface. I had drawn a cylindrical buoy to be painted bright orange, with white bold letters "SOS" painted in a vertical orientation on the buoy sides.

I had planned, at the time, to run my XXIII in a lake with murky water (very poor visibility) that had a max depth of 15 to 17 feet. When the time comes that I actually get the thing built (I have no idea when that will be..), I will definitely be adding a buoy system to mine, before venturing into open lake water.
    Last edited by Warpatroller; 07-26-2014, 05:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Pretty close Romel, to assist Mike, this is the link which i ment, http://youtu.be/BJ8iz3kGAtU

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Here the system from Manfred's V80 http://youtu.be/xNFhFDuMiDo
    Last edited by redboat219; 07-25-2014, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Works for me, Boss.

M
    This is ridiculous. I am supposed to be looking for a video showing the rescue buoy? Damned if I can find it. Is it on Youtube? If so, can you give me the youtube address please?

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Kazzer
    Well, I can't find it!
    Works for me, Boss.

M

Leave a comment:

• Kazzer
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Well, I can't find it!