Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Thank you Manfred! I went to the site and asked about the plans.
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

My pleasure Tom,

As for your question on that forum about the bell shaped thing, it's a real ships bell, the early one's had one onboard, this was the first item that they tossed overboard at the beginning of a patrol, never to be returned, a captains nightmare !!!!!, a ringing bell underwater.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Oh my gosh, that is funny. The imagery of the captain making adjustments to the sub as it began its patrol, "Nope do not need this or that and get rid of that horse collar life preserver, we are real men". I remember reading that during WWII the Fleetboat commanders would leave their bell at port to reclaim it when they returned.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

Tom,

The real truth is, all those captains "modified" their boats as well during patrol or after returning to the harbour, the blowtorch was their best friend, cutting holes for getting under faster, as for the XXIII it would be most tricky, she went under pretty fast due to her design, as for her bigger slower sisters, it would really work.
          Best of all was, reporting back all those modification, which worked, to the shipyards, so later boats were allready adapted, a kind of learningcurve to survive i guess.

Manfred.
          Last edited by MFR1964; 03-25-2014, 03:07 PM.
          I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Tom , here is a closer picture or two of the drawing you displayed, on the light and bell. Maybe Manfred can translate the German.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 794.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	90772Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 770.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	90773
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Wow Mark, Thank you! That helps a lot.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I finished two lights. it is white now, but will be painted red or green.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_301.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	90805

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

Looking good and I like the values of the main gray paint. Here are a few spots I would lightly chip. Railings, surfaces you my walk on or tie things off to, intersections of metal etc and hard edges.... Just a suggestion. Your work is amazing.

Darrin
                  Attached Files

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Great suggestions and I will make changes (once I get through the interior). Thank you!

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Tom, here are a few other pictures that might help.Click image for larger version

Name:	23crew2.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	90809Click image for larger version

Name:	23crew1.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	90810Click image for larger version

Name:	23crew6.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	90811

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Mark,
                        These are also great photos thank you!
                        i've just spent the past 10-15 minutes just studying these photos. The periscope housing has a hole in the back of it reinforcing what I saw someone else do. The top photo and bottom photo show this.
                        the top phot looks like the sub was black or a really dark gray. Look at the man with his arm out and see the edge of the hull as it goes into the bridge. Inside the bridge it is a lighter gray. There is a pole behind his arm as well, not sure what it is but the bottom photo shows it too.
                        the middle photo shows the bell. It also shows on the antenna bracket and under the arm pit of the saluting man paint that has chipped off showing the gray. It is such a contrast that again I wonder if some of the XXIIIs were black. The cover over the navigation light looks dark. Maybe they were colored and the bulb was white? Or a smoked glass, was that even in existence then? The cable leaving the antenna is not in a housing.
                        The bottom photo shows the slot machine handle up front. Under the arm pit you see a very light gray bridge and the darker hull color along the edge. The antenna has a housing hiding the cable. And what is that "T" shaped bracket in the middle?
                        A lot of details in those photos. Again thank you.
                        This just makes me crazy with the variety. Some of this I wish I would have seen or caught before I am where I am.

Comment

• crazygary
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2012

Yeah, Tom!!

Details can drive ya "nut-so", but you're dealing with them well!!

Great looking sub, my friend!!

CG

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

I dont know what that T bracket is. Its not in the first one and that area is hidden in the second one.

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Tom,

That pole is used to provide some grip, after they climbed the ladder in front they could grab for the pole, making it more saver to climb into the tower, now you also know why they had a cover on top of the UZO, right, they stepped on it entering the tower.
                              Mine lacked this pole, because i took the floodhole approach on the side of the tower, making the ladder in front not needed anymore, as you discovered now there are many different things on those boats, giving you the oppertunity to make your very own version.
                              The T bracket, no idea, some day we will find a picture that will solve this mistery.

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

I live in Vegas, why not have a slot machine handle installed in mine? :-) That is good information Manfred and it makes sense. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...