Commander
    • May 2010

Neither can I

Comment

• goshawk823
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by trout
      Here is the pool report. She ran great. I did have issues with chlorine, in fact in the first segment you will see the sub pop up from losing radio contact.

Happy New Year!
      Video is unavailable, it says.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

It finally finished uploading, it should work now.
        Sorry about that, I started the upload and did not want to fall asleep with out posting.
        Please see if it works for you.
        Peace,
        Tom
        Last edited by trout; 01-01-2014, 02:14 AM.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

It works! There you have it -- I've got a device problem, likely the angle-keeper.

Tom: thank you so much for rushing this thing into the water -- I needed to see one of these things working. I'm now charged to find what I'm doing wrong here, putting that right, and getting my Type-23 workings as well as yours.

Well done, sir!

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            Detail Nut of the First Order
            • Sep 2010

Excellent work Tom,

It seems to run fine, either on slow speed as on high speed, that's very positive, one of these weeks i'm going to start up the SkunkWorks to get mine running, the hectic times are becoming less.
            Give her some well deserved paint and let us enjoy that sight, hats off to you sir!!!

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Oct 2010

Tom-
              great work on getting it complete and in the water. it looks like a pretty good running boat!

Comment

• crazygary
                Captain
                • Sep 2012

Looking pretty great, Buddy!!
                Congrats on a job well done!!
                Hope 2014 is uber kind to you!

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Thank you all. It was a dash to complete for the contest, but it was also a desire to see if it would work. Now the finishing can proceed at a slower pace.
                  The night before I got her to the pool I trimmed the sub again. I needed to because minor changes of gluing in the weights seem to throw things off and combine that with the foam did not all fit exactly as planned, more weight was needed. It worked out that 7g of weight was added between the bow and mid weight and just aft of the mid weights 14g was needed. The 14g was to drop the sub to the correct depth not to level the sub. The 7g in the bow was to correct the slight bow lift due to the foam going in differently than planned.
                  In a bit, I will add some photos that we took.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Warpatroller
                    Lieutenant
                    • Dec 2012

Tom,

You made a very detailed build thread here. Well Done! Nice to see the model run so smooth and level when submerged, in contrast to David's experiences with his. I knew there was no way the general shape of that model was causing the crash dives. Nothing wrong with the propeller that I helped David design either! He just has to track down a few equipment gremlins and his should be good to go too..

You've all just seen the first properly functioning XXIII model, with a scale accurate prop, cruise through the chlorinated depths of Nevada! The first model to swing the wheel with the "God Hub", and look good doing it! It brings a tear to my eye! This model has passed Sea Trials folks! The Bronco is green lighted for construction by would be skippers everywhere, thanks to Tom and David!

Steve
                    "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• alad61
                      Commander
                      • Jan 2012

Very glad you got it all built and running Tom. It was a pleasure reading your thread and seeing it run in the video. this won't be a boat in my fleet but it's still a buzz watch it run.
                      Cheers,
                      Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                      But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Here are a few photos from yesterday.
                        Sam is driving while I snap a few photos.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_209.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	89364
                        Begin a dive.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_210.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	89365
                        Cruising at periscope depth.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_211.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	89366
                        A fast passing. I had not set end points on the speed. This sub takes off even on 7v.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_212.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	89367
                        Sam taking control.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_213.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	89368

Again, thank you guys. There is still a ton of work to do.

Comment

• crazygary
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2012

Glad my pool is not bigger, otherwise one of these would be "on its way"!!
                          (Yeah, I know, M! Finish the Skippy first!! Roger that!!)

Excellent thread, Tom!! Kudos to you for all your eforts!

Looking forward to seeing her in her "Sunday finest".

Congrats, once again, and many thanks for the great "blow-by-blow"!!

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Thank you Gary! Yes, get that skippy done! I think my son and I will build that one, so you better document your build here so I can follow in your footsteps.

I did not do a post mission report (in all the excitement of it running well, I forgot). Here it is:

The battery compartment was completely dry. That means the SAS did not vent ANY water in! Very cool. The SAS on this sub (the horizontal float) does not make the same slurping sound that the Skipjack's vertical float does. It is very quiet. At first I was nervous if it was working, but testing it out confirmed it was.

The engine room had 3 drops (yes I counted them as they left the sub-driver) That is minimal amount especially since we toured the deep end of the pool and both Sam and I ran into the wall a couple of times (zipping along and then no response from the helm), but that amount of water still can be reduced. On the end of the sub driver there are four seals for pushrods. One is not used and I put a small length of 1/16" brass wire to keep water from coming in. Of the pushrod seals that one seemed awfully loose. So, I will turn a blank for it and the Skipjack (it also has an extra pushrod seal not being used).

I need to set the end points for speed - this sub can clip along especially submerged - and rudder. I have so much turn that it becomes ineffective at turning. It is just mashing the water verses directing it if we use full throw in either direction.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Thanks for the post-mission report, Tom. Three drops of water is still three drops too much. Address that unused seal and report back. Sounds like a fun ride, can't wait to get mine working.

Yeah, I too get different sounds from the vertical and horizontal type SAS snorkel induction head-valves. Wonder why?

You've been using SAS type SD's for some time now. Have you ever forgotten to make up the snorkel induction hose to the five/four-point manifold yet? If so, it makes you appreciate the function of the safety float-valve.

And that rudder: a nice break when you need to dig your claws in.

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                Yeah, I too get different sounds from the vertical and horizontal type SAS snorkel induction head-valves. Wonder why?
                                I could guess, but that is all it would be. It works (and well at that).

You've been using SAS type SD's for some time now. Have you ever forgotten to make up the snorkel induction hose to the five/four-point manifold yet? If so, it makes you appreciate the function of the safety float-valve.
                                (hanging head low) yes.......I have forgotten to do that. It is a nice safety for the ID 10 T like me. As a side note, I have a WTC from the defunct Small World Models and it was further modified by Mike Dory. I left the a screw out (used to push switch on) and flooded the compartment and I also left the end cap off once (removed it to air it out, but forgot to put it back on) that sank it quickly. Now Sam asks me the annoying questions "Are all the screws in? Is the end cap on?" You make a mistake or two and it gets held over your head forever.

And that rudder: a nice break when you need to dig your claws in.
                                M
                                Are you saying to leave it as an emergency brake?
                                Hmmm....I will think about that.

Comment

Working...