Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Thank you Gary! I can be very critical and pick it a part, but it does look sufficiently busy and mostly accurate.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

So the Type XXIII did not run but 10 feet (maybe 15') from the shore and died. Stopped in the water. No response from the radio. A tug brought it in closer to shore (which by the time it was brought in I had several theories what had happened) and then I had signal again. The prop was strong so it was not the battery. Moved it along the shore and about the same distance it stopped again. This time I moved the TX until the sub began responding and brought her in. By the shoreline and me standing over it, I wanted to test other things like diving and surfacing. With all the do-dads and that heavy periscope, the aft would drop quickly. Manually getting the bubbles out made the sub still slightly aft heavy, but the water was over the tower.
      No pictures of the Type XXIII were taken of the time in the water because my son took the camera to take photos of other things around the water.
      All in all, the Sub-Driver performed well, even though I did not. Each sub was dry (even the Skipjack and the scary dive). So that was good news to me.
      Only a few pictures of the sub, here are two (no broken bits during the transport or time there!)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	SoCal_Fun_Run_4_2014_013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	91154Click image for larger version

Name:	SoCal_Fun_Run_4_2014_011.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	91155
      More to follow as I run some post mission checks.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crazygary
        Captain
        • Sep 2012

Gees, Tom!! I'm hurtin' for ya, buddy!!

Talk about a "Bad Day at Blackrock"!!

Next outing will make up for this one, eh!!?

Fingers crossed that all fixes go well!!!

CG

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Finger crossing not necessary, but thanks for the sentiment. It was my own fault for not doing a proper pre-check and not getting the sub(s) in the water beforehand. If it was not for the excellent design of the Sub-Driver, I might have been short a sub. So all blame goes to me. Especially since I have had great runs with each of these subs. Any change that is made, you have gotta test.
          Given all the setbacks, it was still worth the trip. I met guys that I have heard about, guys I have emailed with, and guys that I got a chance to catch up with. Not to mention to see what others are doing! I would do it again given a chance.
          You are right the next outing will be different. I (hopefully) will not make that mistake again.
          Peace,
          tom

Comment

• roedj
            Captain
            • Sep 2008

Weak transmitter battery?

Dan
            Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Dan,
              That is a good thought, my batteries got low, what seemed quickly, when I was testing the Skipjack after the first run. Tina went out and bought a package of alkaline ones to use. Which they lasted the rest of the day, so maybe the rechargeables are going bad or cannot handle the TX draw. Hmmmmm. The Type XXIII was run with really new batteries and the Gato ran after the XXIII.

Comment

• alad61
                Commander
                • Jan 2012

Sorry to hear of your troubles Tom.

Have you thought of swapping out the TX batteries for LiPos I did in mine and to date have had great tx run time.
                Cheers,
                Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Thank you Alec! I was looking up LiPo batteries last night. I might make the move.
                  I was going to tackle the radio distance and trim last night, but Tina had other ideas for me. Tonight is another night!

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

I went ahead and replaced the receiver with another Wfly one, one the antenna is not cut and using the external antenna.
                    The sub is a little heavy in the aft and would not empty that last bubble in the bow.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_318.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	91187
                    Here is is submerged after I got the bubble out. It was still a little bow light. Just a smidgin.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_319.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	91188
                    I like the height of the tower out of the water.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_320.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	91189
                    There was a list to port side. Placing the weight on the starboard side, the hll was level. The tower was still tilted. I need to redo the mounting block.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_321.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	91190
                    A little tug and the block came away cleanly. Butting it back on was not as easy and I opened a hole to apply CA to affix the mount.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_322.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	91191
                    Once everything dried, I set it in to test it. The tower is upright and the hull is level.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_323.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	91192
                    However, the weight now made the sub settle a bit deeper than before. Why? Who knows.But here is how it sits.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_324.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	91193Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_325.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	91194
                    Sitting this low it is one bubble from sinking of going negative buoyancy. So a slice of foam is added to bring up the tower a bit.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_326.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	91195

Name:	Bronco Type 23_327.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	91196
                    There is a little room. Not sure if it is enough, but for now I will test it and see.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_328.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	91197
                    On the surface, it sits were I like it.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_329.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	91198
                    Once the foam is set. Another test and then the pond.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Man! You got that beast dialed in perfect, Tom.

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        Detail Nut of the First Order
                        • Sep 2010

Looking good Tom, i'm watching over your shoulders, still have to wait some weeks, but looking at your boat i know it will turn out good, how much lead did you use allready?, just curious, want to compare it with my boat.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

I see that you got a kiddie pool too! I just got one from "Wallymart". $19.97....all day long. Its inflatable, so I can pack it away for future use. Its 100" overall so I should be able to get the Oscar in it.
                          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

If your radio takes AA batterys and you are using rechargeables, then maybe thats part of the problem. Alkaline AAs are 1.5 volts. So 8 of them make twelve volts. If your using rechargeables that are 1.2 volts, 8 of them is 9.6 volts. The alarm on my "Polk" radio starts going off at 9.2 volts. If its not that then swap a RX with another boat.
                            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Thanks guys!
                              David, we will see how it goes at the pond. I need to build in the failsafes with the WFly receiver.

Manfred, I am guessing a little over 14oz or about 400g Thank you - I blame you for the detailing. I still need to do the snorkel!

Mark, went larger for kiddie pool! And yes on the batteries, the rechargeable used to hold out longer, but maybe LiPo is the way to go.

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Took it to the pool last night.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_330.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	91427

It went well for the most part - i love how these conditional statements pop up - until the rudder issue that Mark mentioned pulled up. More later.
                                Mentioned to Manfred about how the sub sits on the surface with the aft lower.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_332.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	91428
                                Sorry about the quality, the video was particularly shaky. Who knew shots of espresso would effect him so (joking). So, once it accelerates a bit, not much, the aft will rise.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_333.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	91429
                                Then the bubbles start being released.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_334.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	91430
                                Then it runs nice.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_335.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	91431

Now the rudder got looser as the night went on until it could not make the turn within the pool. Time to stop.

Comment

Working...