Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I love your sub! That is a new trick I got to try! Thank you.
    Peace,

Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Chopped the cone off and drilled a hole to put my modification in.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_278.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	90269
      I was so focused on getting it straight that i did not notice it got sucked in a bit. So my periscope will not be as tall as it should be. Here you can see how thick the cone is compared to the drawing.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_279.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	90270
      Once the CA has set, I will mix up some glaze and create a new cone.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Name:	Bronco Type 23_280.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	90279
        It looks pretty close to me. I sanded the cone into the plastic and that made up for the loss in height.

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Looking good, Tom!!

Details really do make the difference!!

Keep on keepin' on, Buddy!!

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

OH thats perty! Ill send you mine and you can do it, in your spare time of course.
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Mark, if your serious, when I make a mold of my top, I will cast one for you.

So how crazy can we get? How about I put tiny bolts around the scope glass? That would be crazy!
              I heard that if you stretch a sprue it retains the shape it was in. Sooooooo let us try that! Shaped a hex shape in a piece of sprue.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_281.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	90402
              Then heated it (this is a second piece the first one I got too hot - it does take on a new shape when you do that, a blob)

Name:	Bronco Type 23_282.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	90403
              So you cannot see the details, eh? Maybe this will help.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_283.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	90404
              For the most part there is a shape maintained. Still not sure you can see it.
              That excersise brings me to trying to cut little bolts, which did not cut cleanly. I could pre-drill the holes, sand them flat and affix them or I could step away from the insanity and concede that Manfred is the detail maniac. I concede.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Tom, I noticed that in the fittings kit comes a periscope. It says that its for the Up Periscope system. I dont know what that little scope has to do with the Up Periscope system but Im sure I could use it. Its close enough for me. Thanks

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I completely forgot about that piece........sheeesh.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

WHAT??!!! Your supposed to be Blazing a trail for me and these other unfortunates, informing us of any and all possible avenues and adventures. Forewarning us of any pitfalls!....................Thats OK, ive been looking over your shoulder..................cheating

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

You want pitfalls? Well have you come to the right place!
                      I wanted to paint the hull with some weathering, but these little subs had short missions compared to the bigger subs that went out for months at a time. The few pictures I found, even less that were clear, these subs did not seem to have a lot of barnacle growth and seaweed stuff on them. I needed something. So I played with an idea of using flat and satin clear coating to come up with subtle weathering. David mentioned watering down toothpaste and using that and combine that with different sheen it seemed like a good combo.
                      Here is toothpaste watered down to a syrupy consistency.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_284.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	90433
                      Brushed it on the hull in a downward stroke using a flat coarse bristle brush. Photos are upside down because the sub was upside down.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_285.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	90434Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_286.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	90435
                      Then let this dry. Coated it with the satin clear. Then scrubbed off the toothpaste.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_287.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	90436Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_288.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	90437
                      Interesting, but not what I was envisioning. In fact, it looks Gluteus Maximus ugly. Since it was gruesome, why not try to learn something from it? Or see if it can be turned into an effect that might work.
                      I took some 0000 steel wool and scrubbed down the hull to remove the silvering and stark contrast.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_289.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	90438
                      Now this has promise. Although I have my concerns that when/if I top coat it, it will stay there. Now to ponder on what to add to this......

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Maybe you should have used "Arm & Hammer Baking soda with Peroxide" Toothpaste. LOL........Get it? Peroxide........this submarine was supposed to run on Peroxide..........Get It? I just slay me!LOL

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

By the way, as to the periscope thing, why not just take the periscope that comes with the model and glue a blob of something out on the tip end and then shape that. The scope Dave supplys is too short. Youd have to cut the factory one and glue his on which looks like it needs a little shaping itself.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

HURUMPH!.... I say, Hurumph, sir!

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
                              Commander
                              • Jan 2012

Tom have you thought of using the old dry brushing technique intermixed with pastel rubs and washes for your weathering. Also you can use an old 1or 1-1/2inch brush. Not an artist brush but a more trade orientated type or a sea sponge from those art supplies stores. Start with your base coat colour mixed with white or a very very light grey 70/30 is a good start then add more light colour as required. If you keep the brush a bit wetter you can tun the model upside down and gently brush upwards from your edge or waterline just using the edge of the brush so that you get a streaked effect. That same or similar effect can be done with inks or washes that have been thinned as required. Another favourite medium is pastels applied via brush, sponge, q-tips, finger or directly and then worked in. The most important thing to remember is that anything other than a flat, mat or low sheen finish and the above methods don't work as well. Also pastels need to be applied with a heavier hand as the loose intensity when over coated with clears so I tend to apply them as a final system. Below are two videos I did on pastels and washes when I painted up my static Disney Nautilus.

If your finish is not as subdued as you wanted simply mist over a thin coat of the base colour with your air brush in a random manner. If no airbrush is handy then the base colour thinned down can be dabbed/stipples with a lint free cloth.
                              Cheers,
                              Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                              But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Alec,
                                That will probably be the next move on the hull. Thank you!
                                I thought the floor and grating was metal like this person did

Name:	Bronco Type 23_290.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	90452
                                But, as I was studying this photo, I noticed wood grain (circled in red) on the floor including the grating. It makes sense since they stand on this deck during winter conditions and the wood offers a bit of an insulation or would not conduct the heat from the feet like steel would.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_291.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	90453
                                Working on bits and pieces. Here is a storage compartment and a hatch.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_292.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	90454
                                Here is the storage just placed in and not affixed yet. Need to paint and detail first.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_293.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	90455
                                Hatch placed in for photo.

Name:	Bronco Type 23_294.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	90456

Comment

Working...