• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
    Rob,

Please switch to flat head, countersunk screws, SO much prettier, and in keeping with the rest of the boat's appearance! ;)
    wlambing (How about at least a first name on this forum)

I appreciate your input, and will make that change!:-))

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-05-2024, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

ditto................
      Thanks David,

I will certainly make the change!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by biggsgolf

Rob, can you direct me to where you purchased the inserts and screws?
        Bruce
        Hi Bruce,

Click image for larger version

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 75.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	179259

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 76.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	179260

These are the brass inserts that I use. I got them off Amazon. Using these in PLA is quite simple. I bore a hole just a little smaller than the brass insert, and then I use a standard 30 watt soldering iron with the heated point, push the insert into the hole, but DO NOT let the iron sit to long, just enough to get the insert into the hole. I then apply THIN CA very carefully around the edge not to get any CA into the threads.

Hopes this helps Bruce!

Rob

Comment

• biggsgolf
          Captain
          • Jan 2020

Thanks Rob!

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Today looked like it was going to be a challenging day for sure!

Click image for larger version  Name:	German 212 A 77.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	179264 Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 82.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	179265

I was going to start cutting the floatation foam for the upper hull of the 212. I am using one of those sectional thin bladed box knives. When I started the first cut, I knew I was going to be in trouble. I just turned 80 years old yesterday, my eyesight is not the best anymore, and I take Eliquis 2 times a day. For those of you that may not know what Eliquis is, well it is a blood thinner. Not a good combination here for sure.. :-((

I had just started the cutting process, when in walked my wonderful wife, and her statement was! This looks like a trip to the ER for sure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 79.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	179266 Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 80.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	179267

She then presented me with a wonderful Dremel Scroll Saw!:-))

This saw attaches to a desk top, and with a small hand vac that I had, it made a perfect saw for cutting out the foam pieces that I needed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 81.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	179268

I did get a little carried away with cutting the foam pieces. Never know when I might need more of them. My wife really surprised me, and saved the day! She may have also saved a severed artery, and a trip to the ER.... :-))

Rob

Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-06-2024, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• wlambing
              Commander
              • Nov 2020

Rob,

All turned out well, indeed! Much better than the fireman's quote from "Something About Mary"; "We've got a bleeder!!" Your woman is definitely a keeper! Mine would have handed me some busted yard clippers and told me to go to town with those!

Take care,

Bill

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
                Rob,

All turned out well, indeed! Much better than the fireman's quote from "Something About Mary"; "We've got a bleeder!!" Your woman is definitely a keeper! Mine would have handed me some busted yard clippers and told me to go to town with those!

Take care,

Bill
                Thanks Bill,

Yes! I do have a very special lady in my life, and she is all in with our hobby...

Rob

Comment

• Albacore 569
                  Commander
                  • Sep 2020

That seems like a lot of foam (more to the point 'buoyancy') for the model? Arrange the foam and play with it, lead weights too. don't glue lock anything in till you have a good idea how much or how little nd TYT. The 212 does has a higher freeboard.

Wish my wife could read a workshop like that and provide the right tool. She doesn't know a screwdriver from a hammer. and her dad as a professor of structural engineering too. :( . I am on my own.
                  Last edited by Albacore 569; 04-06-2024, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Thanks Steven,

As for the Dremel tool! My wife knew that I had been looking at it, but, yes she is such a supporter of my hobbies, and I can't say enough about her!

As for the tool itself the amazon link below is the one I have.

As for the amount of foam in my 212, I have listed below Bob's build blog on that boat listed below.
                    Nautilus Drydocks 1:72 German Type 212 Instructions CH2 (youtube.com)

And I am going as close as to what he has in his kit. But, I do agree that I should do some pre-trim before the final installation.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Lots going on, but I am still finding some time to work on my 212!

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 83.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	179319

I finished the installation of the foam inside the upper hull. I also gave it a coat of spray paint to sort of clean up the look.

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 84.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	179320

I Have the weights set out and ready for installation. I will be using Loctite clear silicone waterproof sealant, did some sample glue ups, and it works great. Same as what I used on the foam
                      installation.

On the side: My wife's broken arm is healing up quite nicely, but now she will be going in for some knee surgery, I will be her caregiver, and the sub building will slow down a bit. But that is how it should be!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

I have managed to work in some sub building time today!

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 85.jpg Views:	10 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	179407

I have finished securing (gluing) using silicone adhesive the ballast weights to the bottom hull section of the 212.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 86.jpg Views:	10 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	179408

I am also starting to work on the Stickleback again.

Rob
                        ​​​​​
                        Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-15-2024, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

More work on the bottom hull section of the 212.

Name:	German 212 A 87.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	179417

I have prepared the cylinder saddles for the Velcro hold down ties.

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 88.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	179418

Rob

I will be using clear silicon adhesive for securing the Velcro to the saddles

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Today I prepared our swimming pool for the summer and (cool morning sub runs)

Name:	POOL 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	179439 Click image for larger version

Name:	POOL 4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	179440 Click image for larger version

Name:	Nautilus Three.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	179441

I also made sometime to install the velcro straps for holding in place the 300 series Easy Driver.

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 89.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	179442

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 90.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	179443

I now have both the upper and lower hull sections ready for the Easy Driver. Next I will tie in the rudder/dive plane linkage and the propeller shaft, and after this is complete we will start in on the trimming the boat out.

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              Welcome to my underwater realm!
                              • Aug 2009

Looking awesome, Rob!

I could see in the photos how the spray paint melted the foam flotation blocks a bit. If you're going to paint foam, it should normally be done with acrylics. Light dustings of normal rattle can paint can work, but you need to keep the first couple of coats really light, let them dry, and then add more as the first layers form a barrier.

Other things foam doesn't like include CA glue, solvents of any kind, and almost any heat source...

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                                Looking awesome, Rob!

I could see in the photos how the spray paint melted the foam flotation blocks a bit. If you're going to paint foam, it should normally be done with acrylics. Light dustings of normal rattle can paint can work, but you need to keep the first couple of coats really light, let them dry, and then add more as the first layers form a barrier.

Other things foam doesn't like include CA glue, solvents of any kind, and almost any heat source...
                                Thanks Bob,

Should have known better!:-(( Pink could have been a better choice. I attached the foam, weights, and the velcro with silicon adhesive which really worked well.

Rob

Comment

Working...