X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

German Type 212A 3D Print Build

I am going to say that this will be one of my first builds where I am stepping out of the norm for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 2.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	178263

Not so much for the boat, but the WTC and the Transmitter.

Name:	EASYDRIVER 2.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	178264 Click image for larger version

Name:	X18 TRANSMITTER.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	178265

I am going to use the 300 Series EasyDriver drive system from Nautilus DryDocks, and the new FrSky 900 Mhz/2.4 Mhz with the TDR10 Dual Band Receiver, that I purchased from Nautilus DryDocks.

The EasyDriver is going to be a great fit for the boat, and I will be really looking forward to using the new radio system. I have also made the decision to have the EasyDrive built and tested by Jason and Bob, and I am having Bob set up the radio system and testing as well. More to come as I proceed with the sub build.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

• rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

I failed to mention above, that Bob Nautilus DryDocks has a video on the German Type 212A boat including the 300 series EsayDriver. I linked it below.

This is a detailed overview of the buildup of the Nautilus Drydocks German Type 212 model kit, available exclusively from www.rc-submarine.com. View and orde...

Rob

NOTE: If you look at the video, and follow the entire build, you will notice the submarine hull and build up will be different than the files that I purchased from Nautilus DryDocks. But the basic build will be similar.
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-15-2024, 08:56 PM. Reason: Information

Comment

• biggsgolf
      Captain
      • Jan 2020

cool Rob! Looking forward to this

Comment

• DrSchmidt
        Captain
        • Apr 2014

I'm rellay looking forward to the next generation of the 212 class, the 212 CD (common design), that will be built together with Denmark. Wit 73 m length they will be much bigger and powerfull.

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver
          I failed to mention above, that Bob Nautilus DryDocks has a video on the German Type 212A boat including the 300 series EsayDriver. I linked it below.

This is a detailed overview of the buildup of the Nautilus Drydocks German Type 212 model kit, available exclusively from www.rc-submarine.com. View and orde...

Rob

NOTE: If you look at the video, and follow the entire build, you will notice the submarine hull and build up will be different than the files that I purchased from Nautilus DryDocks. But the basic build will be similar.
          Bruce,

Yes! I am looking forward to this build as well. And having Nautilus Drydocks doing the cylinder build on this boat for me, just assures me this boat will be great in the pool.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
            I'm rellay looking forward to the next generation of the 212 class, the 212 CD (common design), that will be built together with Denmark. Wit 73 m length they will be much bigger and powerfull.
            DrSchmidt,

I found this photo showing a comparison between the 212 A and the 212 CD that you referenced.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212CD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	178285

The size difference is amazing! Thank you very much for posting the information..

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Question:

Now that I am starting the build on my 212 boat, I will be needing foam blocks for the trimming process. Can someone (Hopefully amazon) tell me where to find and what kind should I be looking for? I used to get it from Nautilus Drydocks, but Bob no longer carries it.

Thank you for the help.

Rob

SPECIAL NOTE:
              A prayer to Trevor Browns (who died from injuries) family and the other nine brothers (Sterling Volunteer Fire department) that were injured in the house explosion in Virginia. "Brothers All"

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Tonight I decided to get started on some of the more complex parts to the 212 build.

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 5.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	178304

I printed out the stern section and the rudders/dive planes. This is so I can get started on the control surface linkages. The stern section controls are in a X configuration which makes them a little more complex to fabricate and install.

Name:	GERMANN 212 A 6.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	178305

The control linkage will required 4 interior horns for the control rod connections. I will be fabricating them using brass bar stock and 1/16" collars.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Got in some early morning soldering work done.

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 7.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	178308 Click image for larger version

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 6.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	178309

I have manufactured 4 brass control horns for the rudders and dive planes. I still need to drill the holes in the arms for the control rods, and ounce I have the holes drilled,
                  I will then finish the shaping of the horns.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Making some headway on the stern section of the 212.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 8.jpg Views:	13 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	178317 Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 9.jpg Views:	12 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	178318

I installed the 3/32" brass tubing for the bushings to support the 1/16" brass rods for the rudders and dive planes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 10.jpg Views:	12 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	178319

I just stuck the rudder on to see how it was going to fit. I will make further adjustments to reduce the gap and set up the alignment..

Rob
                    "Firemen can stand the heat.".
                    Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-19-2024, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

The hull printing work is moving along.

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 11.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	178321

I am a little more than half way through with the bottom sections.

Rob

Comment

• biggsgolf
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2020

Question:

Now that I am starting the build on my 212 boat, I will be needing foam blocks for the trimming process. Can someone (Hopefully amazon) tell me where to find and what kind should I be looking for? I used to get it from Nautilus Drydocks, but Bob no longer carries it.

Thank you for the help.

Rob

SPECIAL NOTE:
                        A prayer to Trevor Browns (who died from injuries) family and the other nine brothers (Sterling Volunteer Fire department) that were injured in the house explosion in Virginia. "Brothers All"
                        You need closed cell foam board or sheets, I usually pick up at Home Depot for cheap, not sure if amazon has this
                        Bruce

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by biggsgolf

You need closed cell foam board or sheets, I usually pick up at Home Depot for cheap, not sure if amazon has this
                          Bruce
                          Thank you Bruce, I appreciate the information.

I have looked on amazon and I believe they handle the closed cell type foam. Thanks again.

I have been working on the control linkages for the 212, which are quite complicated for the uninitiated builder. I emailed Bob at Nautilus Drydocks and he lead me to his build of the 212 A boat

And the diagram of the 1/16" control linkage was on this site.

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 10.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	178326

I reduced the photo of the diagrams down to 55% and 60% which seemed to be the same size as my "Z" bender makes. with this information I am sure I will get it real close.

SPECIAL NOTE: To those of you that are wanting to get into this hobby, you will not find a better source anywhere than Nautilus Drydocks. Check out his store, and his 100's of informational
                          YouTubes. Also this forum is the best for information and people that are willing to help you...

Rob

​​​​​​

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

This afternoon I followed up on the prep work for the linkage horns.

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 13.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	178328

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 12.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	178329

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 14.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	178330

As the photos show, each brass horn had to be hand filed and shaped to the so they would fit into the stern section and not rub against the side of the hull.

Now we need to bend the wire linkages.

Rob

​​​​​​

Comment

• Albacore 569
                              Commander
                              • Sep 2020

Thank you Bruce, I appreciate the information.

I have looked on amazon and I believe they handle the closed cell type foam. Thanks again.

I have been working on the control linkages for the 212, which are quite complicated for the uninitiated builder. I emailed Bob at Nautilus Drydocks and he lead me to his build of the 212 A boat

And the diagram of the 1/16" control linkage was on this site.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 10.jpg Views:	9 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	178326

I reduced the photo of the diagrams down to 55% and 60% which seemed to be the same size as my "Z" bender makes. with this information I am sure I will get it real close.

SPECIAL NOTE: To those of you that are wanting to get into this hobby, you will not find a better source anywhere than Nautilus Drydocks. Check out his store, and his 100's of informational
                              YouTubes. Also this forum is the best for information and people that are willing to help you...

Rob

​​

Thank you this will be a useful analog in the German Israeli Dolphin 2 x stern set up too. same design and radio to program. Timely.

The Type 212 A's are very small subs as subs go. I saw a German You tube documentary on the boats. The fighting abilities are remarkable, but the crew is cramped even for a submarine.

They said in documentary the cook is only member of the crew that can't be covered in duties by other crew members There is just one cook, and the poor guy serves 4 meals a day. breakfast, lunch, dinner, & mid watch. He cooks in 6-hour cycles, cook has no back up, only member t of the crew like this. Cooks 3 hours - sleeps 3 and then another cycle. The future larger 212 CD will be a huge plus. Surprised how much sodas and sugar candy the Germans consume. This common?

Last edited by Albacore 569; 02-19-2024, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...