X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Steven,

Thank you for posting the great video. Some really good input into the 212 class boats.

Rob
    Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

My favorite documentary starring a 212: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wvCwEeDOJo&t=2s

Comment

• Albacore 569
        Commander
        • Sep 2020

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
        My favorite documentary starring a 212: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wvCwEeDOJo&t=2s
        That above is another excellent video, Thank you. I get the sense of the pace and life on board during heavy weather.

here is a frame from the video showing detail of the starboard sail navigation light. Might be useful. It looks the same on the Dolphin subs too (both built by HDW). Hope it of some use. The subtitles says 'The position lantern 10 CM Plexiglas.'

Click image for larger versionName:	ZuEcphT.jpgViews:	0Size:	59.3 KBID:	178339
        Last edited by Albacore 569; 02-20-2024, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
          Thank you DrSchmidt,

Makes me I wish I could go back to school and studied my German a little better! :-)) Great video non the less, and it certainly gives you some idea what the crews of the 212 submarines go through, also some great shots of the submarine itself. This will all help when the finish work on the 212 A comes do.

Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

I found this closed cell foam on Amazon,

Would it work for sumarine floatation?

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

I did something today that I have been wanting to do for sometime now!

Click image for larger version  Name:	GERMAN 212 A 12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	178360

I purchased a RTR 212 A Submarine from Nautilus Drydocks. I am currently 3D Printing and starting the build on my own 212 A, But having one already built and ready to go seemed like a great idea to me, especially now that the weather here in Arizona is great and my pool looks great, and to have a 212 right now RTR will be fun to operate while I am in the process of building my own 212 A.

Working with Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) through this whole German 212 A process was really great. His promptness answering all my email questions was superb.

Rob
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 02-22-2024, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• vital.spark
                Commander
                • May 2010

Like the travel case!! What is it and where did you get it?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by vital.spark
                  HI vital.spark,

The case came with the German 212 A package (submarine, EasyDriver, radio system, and case)

My suggestion would email Bob at Nautilus Drydocks. He may have access to them and would sell them as a single sale.

Rob
                  ​​​​​​"Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

I only have 3 more top hull sections to print out on the 212, then the printing work will be complete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 15.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	178366

Click image for larger version

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 16.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	178367

I am waiting for a roll of Dremel to be delivered from good old amazon today. After I finish up the last 3 sections I will start on the build up. I am also waiting on some 1/16"
                    brass rod for my linkages, as well as the closed cell foam for flotation. I looked at the 1/16" TIG stainless steel welding rod from amazon, the price of the package of rod was $20.00, but they wanted $31.00 to deliver it.:-((

I have always had good luck with the better quality brass rod, so I will stick with it. When the new 212 sub arrives, it will be a good guide as to how to set up the sub I am building as far as weight and foam floatation installation.

Rob

Comment

• wlambing
                      Commander
                      • Nov 2020

In some applications, a length of 3/32" brass tube can be slipped over a piece of rod (pre-bending planning is required!) to stiffen up a long run of push-rod. This makes a world of difference in vessels such as the old SubTech USS Marlin, for example.

Comment

• JHapprich
                        Captain
                        • Oct 2017

Sure. 212' are large for german standards. Likely a lot more cramped than when they entered service as new tech has been installed over the years. Check for videos of the 205 or 206 A, THOSE were crowded. Not to mention a 206A "sank' an US nuclear carrier on NATO manouvers....

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
                          In some applications, a length of 3/32" brass tube can be slipped over a piece of rod (pre-bending planning is required!) to stiffen up a long run of push-rod. This makes a world of difference in vessels such as the old SubTech USS Marlin, for example.
                          wlambing,

I certainly see where your idea would be another option. I have a RTR 212 A coming, and I will be looking at how the linkages are set up in that boat. The one thing about my 212 build is, I will be
                          using the same 300 series EasyDriver in other boats as well. I will need to have a proper disconnect system in order to achieve this. Some thinking to be done for sure.

Thank you for your input wlambing, very much appreciated.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by JHapprich
                            Sure. 212' are large for german standards. Likely a lot more cramped than when they entered service as new tech has been installed over the years. Check for videos of the 205 or 206 A, THOSE were crowded. Not to mention a 206A "sank' an US nuclear carrier on NATO manouvers....
                            Hi Jorg,

I also see that they are working on a larger 212 A! It's the 212 CD which is substantially larger with a little different hull design. German engineering is always at the front of the line..

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              Welcome to my underwater realm!
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by vital.spark
                              Check Amazon for rifle cases. Lots of options depending on the size of your boat.

Comment

• JHapprich
                                Captain
                                • Oct 2017

Concerning the smaller 206'

And

Comment

Working...