X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by rwtdiver
    A Sub-forum for 3D printing-related topics would be a great idea! If Bob Martin see this, he might chime in on it! Why don't you just start your own blog under general topics on this forum! It would be under your name (CC Clarke) and with your own title!?
    Maybe simply a pinned topic rather than a whole new section, at least to start with. Concentrate on a single package, I think Fusion 360 is probably the best to use for hobbyists being free and powerful, and relatively friendly interface.

I'm just a novice at this stuff, I've managed to draw out the majority of what i want after a fashion, but still wrestling with many techniques, mainly with getting consistent or predictable results when lofting and using sculpt environment. I;d say the hardest part to learn is producing shapes that are compound curvature, especially if you lack cross sectional data- then you need to start using the sculpt environment which is really like a completely different program.

It's also very important to work very methodically, e.g. when to turn history on/off, when to have 3d sketching enabled and when not to. etc. etc. I liken it to knitting where a mistake early on can really cause you huge problems latter on unless you catch it at an early stage.

Another frustration is that software developers like to move the furniture around. You get used to a package then the update downloads, and you find they've changed the icons, moved some menu items, or changed their names. It's like trying to learn to drive a car where the pedals get switched around every time you get behind the wheel.

To make it topical to this thread, the basic hull of the Alfa isn't too painful, being a hull of revolution, but the sail/fin area would be quite tricky to model in comparison. For anyone looking for existing tutorials I highly recommend looking on Youtube for modelling aeroplanes in Fusion 360. An aeroplane fuselage is much like a sub hull in terms of modelling techniques.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

A 3D section would actually be a good idea. There is TONS of interest on this topic, and having a dedicated place to discuss is something we really need to do. Let me see what I can come up with.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
        A 3D section would actually be a good idea. There is TONS of interest on this topic, and having a dedicated place to discuss is something we really need to do. Let me see what I can come up with.

Bob
        I really agree with Bob!

It's my opinion! 3D printing is for sure the new wave of the future for this hobby! But let's NEVER forget our roots here either!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"
        Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by SubHuman

Bob
          Thanks for kicking this off Bob with the addition of a new sub-forum. I suggest adding a second sub-forum for 3D modeling (Both CAD and dedicated 3D modeling) related topics - especially instructional tutorials. This segregates two totally different, yet related topics (3D printing and 3D Modeling) where they're easy to locate and refer to later if beginners get interested.

CCC
          Last edited by CC Clarke; 09-08-2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• jphatton
            Lieutenant
            • Jan 2021

Originally posted by CC Clarke

Thanks for kicking this off Bob with the addition of a new sub-forum. I suggest adding a second sub-forum for 3D modeling (Both CAD and dedicated 3D modeling) related topics - especially instructional tutorials. This segregates two totally different, yet related topics (3D printing and 3D Modeling) where they're easy to locate and refer to later if beginners get interested.

CCC
            That is an excellent suggestion. Indeed the techniques and methodology to develop 3D CAD models are distinct from printing. Again it takes time to learn and experiment with different approaches to 3D modelling, particularly when modelling a complex hull shape. So a dedicated sub-forum would be very useful to exchange information.

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by jphatton

That is an excellent suggestion. Indeed the techniques and methodology to develop 3D CAD models are distinct from printing. Again it takes time to learn and experiment with different approaches to 3D modelling, particularly when modelling a complex hull shape. So a dedicated sub-forum would be very useful to exchange information.
              I agree totally with Jason!

CCC!
              We are all in for this new project and learning these skills! At my age I may have to try and open up new brain cells, but I sure will give it a go!

Rob
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by jphatton

I agree, to a point. but I don't want to get too granular in the forums. If we extended the same thought to general modeling, we'd have sub-forums for ballast, radios, propulsion, peripherals, hulls, etc, etc, etc. We'd have fifty topics with just a few posts in each. 3D printing is general enough to catch what we need to talk about. If you do a good job of titling the thread, there will be no issues.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

OK! Back to the project at hand! The photos below are of the 1:96 scale Alfa! (As you know I have a 1:96 scale and 1:72 scale Alfa going)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Ballast.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	153351Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Ballast 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	153352

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Ballast 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	153353

Now before I go any further, you all know this project was going to be totally experimental for me! My plan is to design TWO different type ballast systems for both these boats! The photos are just to show the possible piston system I have in mine for the Alfa 1:96 scale. I finally got the 12V geared motors that I need for the gear system that I am designing for the 200CC syringe unit! Don't know if this is going to work or not, but I will see it through to find out! Lot more design work on the WTC to do!

Rob
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-12-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

I'm liking it so far Rob...

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                      I'm liking it so far Rob...
                      Thanks Steve!

Still have some engineering and build work to do! Not sure if all this is going to work or not. So far so good!

Rob (Still a crazy old man)

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

The main thing you need to be mindful of is the volume of your main WTC in relation to tank volume. Too much pressure building up inside, and you may get leaks on the seals. Also screwjacks with vee threads are only about 10% efficient, so the system becomes inefficient if it's having to compress a lot of air. Try and ensure the WTC volume is at least around five to six times the tank volume

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thanks Steve!

Still have some engineering and build work to do! Not sure if all this is going to work or not. So far so good!

Rob (Still a crazy old man)
                          Subculture,

Thank you for chiming in! I see your point! I may have about 4 times the tank volume and not much more! Question: Would it be possible to install and extend a snorkel tube up and into the mast to release the air pressure from inside the WTC?

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

I completed my scratch built Ballast Piston Tank for the 1:96 Scale Alfa today! As I have said before, both my Alfa boats are and experiment as far as the ballast systems go!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballast T  One.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	153455Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballast T 2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	153456

I will be posting a small video of the pump in operation shortly!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Here are the two YouTube videos that I have up on the operation of the piston tank! Videos showing the water in and out operation!

This video show the testing of the piston system for the 3D printed Russian Alfa Submarine.

IMG 3857 3 - YouTube

Sorry about these videos are from my YouTube channel, I still have not figured out how to get them up on our forum!!

Rob

Comment

• redboat219
                                Admiral
                                • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210915-170559_Chrome.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	153465
                                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...