X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by SubHuman

That said, I've already got functional 48th gas torpedo prototypes. Gas weapons are cheap, fast, easy to produce (and they make such cool bubbles when they fire!).

Yup can’t argue with any of that! All great points indeed!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Not sure if you’ve been following my posts in the torpedo section. I wasn’t gonna let this cat out of the bag until much later but the reason I’ve been hell bent on developing the torpedo launcher architecture that I have been sharing is it is capable of launching more than one type of munitions with the quick easy swapping of a couple small parts. In fact two types of torpedoes can be loaded at the same time Depending on how the tubes are configured. The electric counter rotating prop, piston launched torpedoes with no bubbles would be stealthy and the gas propelled torpedoes would just be fun for the reasons you pointed out. There you have it. Had to solve the electric torpedo first.

Nick

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Lots going on at the Drydocks over the last few days!

In conjunction with OTW, we're happy to announce the release of our new 1/96 Russian Oscar II kit. The master patterns were created by Kevin McLeod and they are amazing. The model measures a massive 1613 mm ( 63.5 inches) with a beam of 190 mm ( 7.48 inches). Layout drawings are included. I now have the model queued up for a prototype build in order to create instructions. If you are an experienced builder and don't need a walkthrough, it is up and ready for purchase on my site here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_113956.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	144758Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_113842.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	144760Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_114015.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	144762Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_114019.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	144763Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_114038.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	144759

The Hunley is coming along nicely! I may throw in the towel trying to get the authentic rudder linkage to work. I gave it the ol' college try, but that setup is actually really dynamic with a lot of moving parts. I elected to go with a conventional linkage, which is working perfectly.

Name:	20201026_154752.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	144766Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_154818.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	144767

Picking away at Typhoon. Lots of sanding for a perfectly smooth finish from the slightly grainy texture that the printing netted.

Name:	20201026_154846.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	144768

The prototype cylinder is nearly complete! I encountered some issues getting a perfect valve built for opening and closing the snorkel air intake. I had a revelation last night that I feel is going to be ideal. I'll give it a shot today.

Once done, this will get installed in the Hunley.

Name:	20201026_154828.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	144769

The 1/6 Delphin first layup is in the molds and we will be de-molding this morning. The mold is symmetrical top and bottom, so one mold handles both.

Name:	20201026_154743.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	144770

This is the cylinder that I'll be modifying for use in the Arkmodel Type VII buildup for Ed. Bigger than the "stock" 2.5" unit with a stubbier tank for better water control.

Name:	20201026_154825.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	144771

This was a weird one... I had an OTW cylinder come to me for refit. The owner said that the motor was "broken" and wouldn't spin. It just "grinded". It turns out that the seal assembly was completely melted and fused to the stainless drive shaft. I have NO IDEA how he did that. I couldn't figure out a way to do that if I TRIED! At any rate, Jason and I disassembled it, cleaned it up, machined new clean faces to the parts and installed a bigger seal. Working perfectly now and I'm pressure testing it this morning.

Name:	20201026_154727.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	144772
        Attached Files

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

That is a lot going on. Wow!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by RCJetDude
            That is a lot going on. Wow!
            You have no idea....

Took a few minutes and finally nailed down the Hunley rudder linkage. The actual actuation takes place via a traditional push/pull linkage, but the swivel linkage is there for aesthetics. Works well on the bench and I'm getting about 30 degrees of throw. Not sure that I like the 3D printed rudder supports, but they're holding up so far.

Name:	20201027_142111.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	144785

Delphin first pull came out of the molds. Here is Jason cleaning up the molds getting ready to lay up the second half today:

Name:	20201027_142132.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	144787

Got in a beautiful 72nd scale HMK Permit with SubDriver. Jason spend the afternoon refitting the cylinder (under my direction). The motor/spur gear alignment was out of whack, causing the shaft to slip. We adjusted that, modified the servo throws, installed a new remote switch, and she's good to go. Should be trimming today or tomorrow.

This boat will be available for sale by this weekend after I get the pics/video made for her!

Name:	20201027_142117.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	144786

The MKIII SubDriver is nearly ready for installation in Hunley. Two more 3D printed parts to install and we are on to testing for leaks and fitment into the hull! Lots more detail on this new version to come soon, including a dedicated video. DiveTribe members get an exclusive preview this Sunday at 2pm! Not a member? Why the hell not!?

Name:	20201027_142122.jpg
Views:	371
ID:	144788

And one final pic of the horse/dog that has moved into the shop next to me. He's a BEAST (but a friendly one!)!!

Name:	20201027_142315.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	144789

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

You have no idea....

Took a few minutes and finally nailed down the Hunley rudder linkage. The actual actuation takes place via a traditional push/pull linkage, but the swivel linkage is there for aesthetics. Works well on the bench and I'm getting about 30 degrees of throw. Not sure that I like the 3D printed rudder supports, but they're holding up so far.

Name:	20201027_142111.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	144785

Delphin first pull came out of the molds. Here is Jason cleaning up the molds getting ready to lay up the second half today:

Name:	20201027_142132.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	144787

Got in a beautiful 72nd scale HMK Permit with SubDriver. Jason spend the afternoon refitting the cylinder (under my direction). The motor/spur gear alignment was out of whack, causing the shaft to slip. We adjusted that, modified the servo throws, installed a new remote switch, and she's good to go. Should be trimming today or tomorrow.

This boat will be available for sale by this weekend after I get the pics/video made for her!

Name:	20201027_142117.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	144786

The MKIII SubDriver is nearly ready for installation in Hunley. Two more 3D printed parts to install and we are on to testing for leaks and fitment into the hull! Lots more detail on this new version to come soon, including a dedicated video. DiveTribe members get an exclusive preview this Sunday at 2pm! Not a member? Why the hell not!?

Name:	20201027_142122.jpg
ID:	144788

And one final pic of the horse/dog that has moved into the shop next to me. He's a BEAST (but a friendly one!)!!

Name:	20201027_142315.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	144789
              Looking good Bob. Where's the cort nozzle (ring) for your Hunley propeller? That should help support the rudder brackets.

Comment

• NauticalLogan
                Ensign
                • Nov 2020

Hey everyone! It's Logan from the Nautilus drydocks. I'm starting to help with more than just the orders, and I wanted to share some of the projects that are bouncing around, both the completed and the in progress. Hope to give you all some more updates in the future!

Some of the fleet of boats we have here at the Drydocks waiting for finishing up and selling RTR! See anything you like?

Name:	IMG_0634.JPG
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	144932

Top Secret! Don't ask!

Name:	IMG_0632.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	144933

HL Hunley is nearly ready! Initial weathering and her new guts, ready for a radio!

Name:	IMG_0631.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	144934

More boats! This guy is a 32nd scale XXI with a long and wonderful history!

Name:	IMG_0635.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	144935
                Two customer builds awaiting cylinder installation, test and trim.

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	144936

The new 3" MSD for installation in the 48th scale Arkmodel Type VII

Name:	IMG_0633.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	144937

Comment

• biggsgolf
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2020

Looking good!

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Is that 1/32 scale Type XXI formally owned by Mike Dory?
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by trout
                      Is that 1/32 scale Type XXI formally owned by Mike Dory?
                      Yessir. I believe Dory and Lederer were the driving force behind that boat. Great engineering in there. Quasi dry hull.

Bob

Comment

• scubaed1911
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Jul 2019

Thanks Logan!
                        If you're part of the particulate, then you're not part of the solution"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          • Aug 2009

Still lots going on at the Drydocks. I'll try to get pics up soon, but I've been utterly swamped.

As most of you already know, I've run a Christmas Sale and it was hugely successful. There are still a few things in there that you should take a look at, and I'm adding more all the time. Some things of note that I just added this morning:
                          1. Fully RTR HL Hunley
                          2. Complete 32Parallel Type VII kit
                          Not yet listed;
                          1. Scaleships Akula kits (2 of 'em!). One is hull only and the other has an original D&E 3.5" cylinder with it
                          2. OTW Type VII kit - NIB. Not a huge discount on this as it's new and a high demand item. Normally I wouldn't discount it, but hey... it's nearly Christmas!

Work continues on the new line of cylinders in order to fulfill existing customer orders and improve manufacturability.

A big announcement coming up tomorrow during my YouTube Live at 6:30pm eastern time. There will be a change in the Drydocks product scope and what we'll be offering the hobby. Come on in and join the discussion! You've got nothing better to do anyway, right!?

Still working hard on getting my private pilot's license. I'm in the final stages now, flying every day. That's cutting into shop time a bit, but I'm putting in later hours to try to compensate. Renee and I are taking a week to go on vacation next week. Once I get back, it's final review and my checkride!

More soon!

Comment

• biggsgolf
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2020

We all appreciate your efforts! Remember to take care of yourself.

Comment

• biggsgolf
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2020

Oh, and the HL Hunley is a masterpiece! A must have for those who are at the top of this Hobby! Personally the “WAF” (Wife Acceptance Factor”) keeps me from purchasing it, lol

Comment

• george
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2010

Still lots going on at the Drydocks. I'll try to get pics up soon, but I've been utterly swamped.

As most of you already know, I've run a Christmas Sale and it was hugely successful. There are still a few things in there that you should take a look at, and I'm adding more all the time. Some things of note that I just added this morning:
                                1. Fully RTR HL Hunley
                                2. Complete 32Parallel Type VII kit
                                Not yet listed;
                                1. Scaleships Akula kits (2 of 'em!). One is hull only and the other has an original D&E 3.5" cylinder with it
                                2. OTW Type VII kit - NIB. Not a huge discount on this as it's new and a high demand item. Normally I wouldn't discount it, but hey... it's nearly Christmas!

Work continues on the new line of cylinders in order to fulfill existing customer orders and improve manufacturability.

A big announcement coming up tomorrow during my YouTube Live at 6:30pm eastern time. There will be a change in the Drydocks product scope and what we'll be offering the hobby. Come on in and join the discussion! You've got nothing better to do anyway, right!?

Still working hard on getting my private pilot's license. I'm in the final stages now, flying every day. That's cutting into shop time a bit, but I'm putting in later hours to try to compensate. Renee and I are taking a week to go on vacation next week. Once I get back, it's final review and my checkride!

More soon!
                                How much is the Scale shipyard Akula without WTC?
                                What size is it?
                                Is it complete OR assembly required?

George

Comment

Working...