Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

Socks, sandals and an apron.... find a happy place! FIND A HAPPY PLACE!! Talk about a machine David. You are it.

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Hope you're wearing something underneath that apron.

David at breakfast https://stock.adobe.com/images/naked...indo/131033135
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubDude
          Socks, sandals and an apron.... find a happy place! FIND A HAPPY PLACE!! Talk about a machine David. You are it.
          'Casual Tuesday' (the Kilt was in the wash).

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Suspect in the Virginia Chainsaw Massacres. Click image for larger version

Name:	FCA502A0-79A4-4797-B63F-2815E743ECB4.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	164327
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
              Suspect in the Virginia Chainsaw Massacres. Click image for larger version

Name:	FCA502A0-79A4-4797-B63F-2815E743ECB4.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	164327
              Moderator... MODERATOR!!!....MODERATOR!!!!!! Clean-up on aisle, 46.

Concerned Forum Member In Good Standing
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

I’m not putting all that wood in my motel room.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

You could put a few of these over the holes and paint the whole box black or stain it.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	images (1) (6).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	164360Click image for larger version  Name:	69f3864d7fc4ed470e182c57c2488376.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	164361 then call it a "Subwoofer box".
                    Last edited by redboat219; 09-03-2022, 03:19 AM.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
                      I’m not putting all that wood in my motel room.
                      One of your more questionable double-entendre postings Casey! Frightening, to say the least, for the maid-service.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

David, with his 'Today's work' posting has been inspirational for me. With last year's Subfest and all of the Groton events I had my models strapped into the back seat or just laying in the back of our SUV. Dangerous for the models if you stop short. For the long trip to Subfest this year I am making boxes. Being anal, I went way beyond making simple boxes for model transport, as you will see.

I started with a 3/4" x 10" x 6' board and cut it into 3/4 x 3/4 strips. The top and bottom strips have notches in them, you'll see what for later. They were glued up into a box shape. 3/16 underlayment for wet areas was used for the box sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	164404

Here are those notches I mentioned.

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	164401

For the frame corners I first made lap joints on the table saw for sections A & B and glued them together. Once dry, back to the table saw and cut another lap joint into A & B for C.

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	164403

Another view of the corner.

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	164400

Lots of clamping of parts together.

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	164402

One trick I figured out. If you want to transfer a point on one side of the board to the other side, I used a pair of pliers, butted it on one side up to the frame, and mark your transfer point to the other side.
                        Here I have the pliers butted up the the frame on the blind lower side, now I can mark the point on the other side.

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	164399

To drill the air holes in the underlayment and avoid splintering, I started the hole on one side.....

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	164405

Then finished drilling the hole from the opposite side. They meet in the middle, not the outside surface, avoids splintering.

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	164398

Next part coming up in next post.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

My Skipjack and Marlin have display stands. They will help lock the model in place when in the transport boxes.

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	164410

Here is the inside of a somewhat completed box.

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	164407

To hold the models down in the box, I glued 1 inch foam to multiple ply plywood strips. I scrounge people throwing out dressers and take the drawers. That type wood is useful as the wood does not usually warp. The foam was them shaped to fit the top portion of the model.

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	164409

Then the guillotine style foam boards are fit into their respective slots. Those notches I mentioned. The box lid, when screwed down will hold the foam boards in place.

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	164408

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

For the Skipjack, I won't be leaving the electronics section in the cylinder as after a while it seems to stay stuck in the cylinder and is difficult to remove. The transport boxes have a lot of empty space above the hull, so I made this storage tray which drops into the box behind the sail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0180.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	164412

Here it is behind the sail. It drops into their own slots in the frame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0181.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	164413

That empty compartment on the right, what to do with it? It can hold misc tools or nick-knacks used on the model. Since the main box is 4-1/2 inches deep, you can pile alot of stuff and stuff can get buried. SO I made these boxes to help organized things. They nest inside each other, then they nest inside the larger tray.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0183.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	164414

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0184.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	164416

Since the transport boxes fit in our SUV stacked, was thinking of using these latches to lock the boxes together for stability. Not sure where I'm going to put these yet. Will use them in pairs on each side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0185.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	164417

And finally, the Skipjack box is shorter than the Marlin box so the SJ box will sit on top of the Marlin. To have the boxes lock together, the Marlin box has a strap on the lid which locks into the u-shaped foot on the bottom of the SJ box. Holes were also drilled so the foot is not sitting on the screws.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0188.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	164415

Now to paint the boxes battleship gray of course! I'll be ready for Subfest!

Once the boxes are painted I'll be adding 1/4 rope as carrying handles. Much like the rope you see on the picture above of the Skipjack. The rope will be fed through holes that are in the top frame.
                            Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-04-2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ken,

Yours is the most elaborate, well-engineered storage box I've ever seen.

I HATE YOU!!

You Cabinet Maker, you! See you on the field-of-battle in a bit over a week from now. And please, for the love of God, don't park your storage-transportation box anywhere near mine or I'll set the thing on fire when you're not looking!

David
                              Taken Back to School
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2019

Dang Ken! Your boxes are an extension of the thought and detail you put into your subs. Awesome stuff for sure.

Comment

Working...