Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

I'm stuck scratch building a mastering for production of a 1/32 scale T51 Cooper formula one car from 1959. I've thrown at it everything I have learned from you over the many years. Watching you as I have always done has been continually inspiring and informative to any subject. The Type 2 scratch build sits across from me on the bench beckoning me to finish it.

BTW I love my Type 23. Lovely boat to build. Good size and she runs well. Thanks for all the help David.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

If only more practicians of this game put the cart behind the horse and not in front of it as you so eloquently stated it, Nick. I.e., make it work first, then make it pretty.

Duh!

David
      This is just the process that I have always stuck to when building anything really. No point in having something that looks great but functions terribly.

Speaking of making it look pretty. This is the area of expertise where I am going to be needing your guidance the most when the time comes.

Painting, filling, sanding and making something look factory fresh or perfect has never been a problem for me. What I seriously lack experience in over the many years of building things is the skills and techniques of making something look used, weathered and realistic. I’m absolutely green in this area and would like to learn everything I can.

Nick

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models

This is just the process that I have always stuck to when building anything really. No point in having something that looks great but functions terribly.

Speaking of making it look pretty. This is the area of expertise where I am going to be needing your guidance the most when the time comes.

Painting, filling, sanding and making something look factory fresh or perfect has never been a problem for me. What I seriously lack experience in over the many years of building things is the skills and techniques of making something look used, weathered and realistic. I’m absolutely green in this area and would like to learn everything I can.

Nick
        I'm indeed flattered, Nick. Most everything I learned and have passed on it at this forum. Trouble is, it's spread out all over the platform. Bang that search-engine and if you come up dry, ask away and I'll formulate an answer (based on fact or total bull****, depends on my mood of the moment).

I dug up a few for you:

Below Waterline Uneven Bleaching Weathering Effect - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

Today's work on the little Revell SKIPJACK fittings kit - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

The Foxtrot Fittings Kit - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

Weathering the 1/96 Type-212 Kit - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

The RPM Foxtrot by David Merriman - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

Merriman's Biography - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

More Masking Tricks - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

Painted on 'Oil-Canning' Effect, and some other Tricks - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

Some work I've done to represent anechoic tiles - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

David,

Thank you for digging up those links. I’ve book marked the links in a new folder. I will try not to ask too many annoying questions.

Thank you

Nick

Comment

• Aug 2008

David,

Thank you for digging up those links. I’ve book marked the links in a new folder. I will try not to ask too many annoying questions.

Thank you

Nick
            Annoy me? Not guys like you; guys who actually make things; guys who take a good idea and make it better. You are a peer. I don't go after peers! (Well... almost never).

Questions from peers make me double-check my premise. I welcome the exercise. And, more often than not, when the back and forth is over, I've learned a thing or two as well. The monster feeds itself.

David
            The Horrible
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Thanks Pal,

I still will have much respect and conscious awareness of the time you take in answering the questions I seek your guidance from. I don’t like to waste it, especially when you’re willing to offer it. I do my best to do my homework ahead of time first so the least amount of help is needed to solve the question when asked. I learn quick and best when doing it myself so I can get the hang of it first hand and know what exactly I am dealing with.

You’ve been there, done that, and I’m here to shut up and learn something helpful.

Nick

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks Pal,

I still will have much respect and conscious awareness of the time you take in answering the questions I seek your guidance from. I don’t like to waste it, especially when you’re willing to offer it. I do my best to do my homework ahead of time first so the least amount of help is needed to solve the question when asked. I learn quick and best when doing it myself so I can get the hang of it first hand and know what exactly I am dealing with.

You’ve been there, done that, and I’m here to shut up and learn something helpful.

Nick
                You apple polisher, you.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
                  How do you place the dive/rudder yokes inside? The top passage?
                  Hi David,

I sure do appreciate all your masterful work on your "Todays Work" blog! Casey sent me this page (55) in particular, which will be very helpful to me on how to install the stern section to the hull of my Kilo. I will be referring to your pages a lot as the Kilo build moves along. Thank you for posting up SO MUCH great information!

Rob
                  ​​​​​​​"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

Thanks Pal,

Nick
                    Dave is actually a Borg. Resistance is futile.
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Dave is actually a Borg. Resistance is futile.
                      Yes, that I’ve come to realize

Comment

• Aug 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	image013.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	158322

(a big thank-you to Bob Dimmack)
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Dec 2019

Enough talk. Post the work.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Enough talk. Post the work.
                            Later tonight, you impatient SOB!
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Name:	image013.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	158322

(a big thank-you to Bob Dimmack)

Name:	2344523D-B55B-49F7-BFAD-AF951F92D2D3.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	158327

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2020

Alright already. Let’s see it ******, what have you been holding out on us with your progress!

Comment

Working...