X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deepseadiver
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
    All the Engel Typhoon hulls have that gap at the bow, think it's a fault in the tooling.

Most builders fill it in, then extend the anechoic tile lines. Some have used an epoxy putty rather than polyester car filler. Epoxy putty is much tougher and resistant to chipping.
    Subculture thank you for that advice yes I noticed other builders are having that problem in the front.

I wanted to mention that I had a large gap of 1/4 inch in the front at first I was told by others this can be helped . I place in my hold down screw then placed a 4x4 piece of wood underneath the front with foam padding. Then I put padding over the top and place a 25 pound weight on top, which then close up the gap almost all the way.
    Then i place a space heater In front of the nose let it cool 3 times in a row, took off the weight and most of the gap is gone . Now the hold down screw tightens down even more.

I Like your advise just need to fill in the rest of the gap as you mentioned using epoxy, since it wont chip as easily!

your information is very helpful
    Jim
    Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-30-2018, 12:12 AM.
    Put your mind to it. If there's a will there's a way!

Comment

• deepseadiver
      Commander
      • Aug 2008

here are some lead weight shot In the keel I used plastic wrap because I did not have any wax paper seem to work just fine and it came off the resin once it cured plastic wrap peeled right off. Now I can have all the weight required In the keel and easy to remove if I need to during trimming. Once I know the correct weight I will glue them in. What do you think ?
      Attached Files

Comment

• deepseadiver
        Commander
        • Aug 2008

more pictures
        Attached Files

Comment

• deepseadiver
          Commander
          • Aug 2008

once I get them out I will trim off the excess resin
          Attached Files

Comment

• deepseadiver
            Commander
            • Aug 2008

Here's what I have done so far to the electronic box I have the holes drilled a custom lip I placed over them which the groove for the rubber gasket goes into them. Next I'm going to install SS bolts, epoxy them in place all 44 of them .

Comments welcomed !
            Attached Files
            Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-30-2018, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

No pictures.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• deepseadiver
                Commander
                • Aug 2008

trimmed out the top piece of the submarine conning towers opening
                Attached Files
                Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-06-2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                  Commander
                  • Aug 2008

the bolts that all got glued in what a job getting them all glued in .
                  Attached Files

Comment

• deepseadiver
                    Commander
                    • Aug 2008

bolts are secure and the 4mm rubber cord gasket is installed
                    Attached Files

Comment

• deepseadiver
                      Commander
                      • Aug 2008

Oh boy that was a big job making that custom WTC with see through windows, for the electronics it was well worth it indeed (Thanks Bob for advising me to do it.)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-06-2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        Welcome to my underwater realm!
                        • Aug 2009

Great work so far, Jim! Are you going to swap out the acorn nuts for the main section for wing nuts, or just use the supplied ones?

Comment

• deepseadiver
                          Commander
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
                          Great work so far, Jim! Are you going to swap out the acorn nuts for the main section for wing nuts, or just use the supplied ones?
                          Hi bob,
                          good question I was going to ask you that same question you read my mind. After looking at your typhoon video, I see the switch is in the middle so should I place the acorn on the ends and use the wing nuts for the middle section? plus Engel uses a magnetic switch to turn things on and off should I use it?
                          Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-06-2018, 05:08 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            Welcome to my underwater realm!
                            • Aug 2009

You definitely need a switch of some kind. The magnetic ones work okay, but I've fallen in love with my remote switches. 15A capacity, which should be fine for the Engel boat. No need to swipe a specific spot. Just click the fob on and click the fob off.

I'd replace all the acorns with wing nuts, personally. No need for tools, easy to get on and off, and easy to feel the correct amount of pressure when you're tightening them up.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                              Commander
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
                              You definitely need a switch of some kind. The magnetic ones work okay, but I've fallen in love with my remote switches. 15A capacity, which should be fine for the Engel boat. No need to swipe a specific spot. Just click the fob on and click the fob off.

I'd replace all the acorns with wing nuts, personally. No need for tools, easy to get on and off, and easy to feel the correct amount of pressure when you're tightening them up.
                              Hi Bob,

thank you good advice I appreciate that very much. can you sell me a remote switch fob like what you used or direct me were to purchase one.. I saw you turn on a submarine, electronics when you were showing how to trim a submarine, in a pool, on YouTube . It was a excellent video by the way . I learned some stuff from it .
                              I think it's a great way turning on the power inside the submarine, by a remote turn on. I can use Engels magnet switch for other things in the future.
                              Jim
                              Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-07-2018, 04:13 AM. Reason: splling

Comment

• deepseadiver
                                Commander
                                • Aug 2008

can anyone direct me towards getting some help. I need a decal made otherwise I may just have to hand paint it.
                                what I need is a decal of some sort that goes in front of the conning tower on this typhoon submarine its a Russian logo needs to be about 1' 1/4 long 1' wide can anyone help
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...