X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deepseadiver
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

jims Tyhpoon TK-208 build

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9170.jpg Views:	1 Size:	302.5 KB ID:	128450 first pictures getting my sub delivered from Engel Germany
    Put your mind to it. If there's a will there's a way!
  • deepseadiver
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

just started on cutting out my flood ports, and the openings for the dive planes. Here is what I have done so far still have more to cut out very time consuming but that's the part I like about the build.
    Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-13-2018, 04:12 AM. Reason: spell check

Comment

• deepseadiver
      Commander
      • Aug 2008

I drilled out holes first then all by hand I filed them square like they should be.
      Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-13-2018, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Someone told me last week that Engel isn't making these kits anymore. Did you hear anything on that front when you placed your order? How long for it to get fulfilled?

Comment

• deepseadiver
          Commander
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
          Someone told me last week that Engel isn't making these kits anymore. Did you hear anything on that front when you placed your order? How long for it to get fulfilled?
          Hi bob M. I think this is you if im correct, we talk now and then im oceanchaser the one that's always emailing you asking questions about the typhoon. I finally got my thread started I hope others will notice me say hello. I will be placing a lot of detail In this sub this is only the beginning. What I was told you can get parts but the model typhoon mold is not being made at this time I don't know if this a permanent thing or not. They have been making it for 20 years now. I have talked to the management there a couple of times . I will keep you up dated when I find out more . for some reason I have called them no answer there web site is down very strange indeed. The normal turn around time was 3 weeks!

I hope everyone enjoys the build. I like ideas from everyone, and input also so please talk away!

. By the way bob your new office building looks awesome being its right across from your home you sure cant beat that. Congrats on your new shop. Feel free talk any time. I'm very friendly Jim A
          Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-14-2018, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Jim, as a first suggestion, I'd highly recommend cutting the access plate for the top of the waterproof box to make for much larger openings. Engel way over-engineered those lids and it will be a chore (they're reinforced with steel), but it's worth it to get easier access to the interior. Replace the aluminum lids with clear acrylic and you'll get visibility to the interior of the boat, even when sealed.

Also, invest in a power nut-driver. All of those nuts to get in and out of the compartment are a royal pain.

Comment

• deepseadiver
              Commander
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
              Jim, as a first suggestion, I'd highly recommend cutting the access plate for the top of the waterproof box to make for much larger openings. Engel way over-engineered those lids and it will be a chore (they're reinforced with steel), but it's worth it to get easier access to the interior. Replace the aluminum lids with clear acrylic and you'll get visibility to the interior of the boat, even when sealed.

Also, invest in a power nut-driver. All of those nuts to get in and out of the compartment are a royal pain.
              Hi Bob
              yes I agree that is a must to do I will be posting pictures next of my process

Comment

• deepseadiver
                Commander
                • Aug 2008

first steps of measuring my cut outs .
                Attached Files

Comment

• deepseadiver
                  Commander
                  • Aug 2008

did my cut outs and I noticed to cut through the steel reinforcement I used my dermel with a metal cutting saw wheel, it cut through the steel like butter but lots of sparks flying everywhere. That was Fun !

Question for you bob and all that see this. Those two steel strips I took out have some weight to them since Engel design the boat to have that weight. Besides the lead shot that must be added as well. I think I may add that to the keel as a removal weight so if I need it I can add it right back to the keel center of boat. its about 1 1/2 pounds I would say . What do you think?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-26-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                    Commander
                    • Aug 2008

more pictures of the cut out top with clear acrylic viewing windows turned out perfect . I will be adding many more bolts then the little black dots you see. I am going out to buy 3/4 bolts with wing nuts that are stainless steel very soon. I need to get some more rubber sealing cord then what I got in the Engel kit I need much more. The picture that's bob's boat I really like the bolt pattern I will be copying it. 44 bolt pattern
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-26-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                      Commander
                      • Aug 2008

status ON rumor that they were going to stop making the Typhoon GOOD NEWS!!!!!

They are not discontinuing the typhoon that was incorrect information that was given. I got in contact with them about it. .
                      Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-26-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                        Commander
                        • Aug 2008

more pictures of build I don't really like the crack in the middle of the bows front half's maybe when its black that will be less noticeable or is there a way to make that smaller were should I sand. I have the hold down bolt all ready installed goes in from the bottom. maybe I will need to use some filler? ideas comments any one.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• rcgrsemunki
                          Ensign
                          • Jan 2011

[QUOTE=deepseadiver;n128489]more pictures of build I don't really like the crack in the middle of the bows front half's maybe when its black that will be less noticeable or is there a way to make that smaller were should I sand. I have the hold down bolt all ready installed goes in from the bottom. maybe I will need to use some filler? ideas comments any one.[/QUOTE

I used automotive body filler to fill mine. Was a bit of a pain keeping it where I wanted it but it seemed to work out well.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                            Commander
                            • Aug 2008

Good old bondo stuff works great or I was thinking of using baking soda, and crazy, glue put those together you get a quick cement like material almost instantly then sand to shape . But I always consider using auto body as well . Thanks for the comment
                            jim
                            Last edited by deepseadiver; 11-27-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

All the Engel Typhoon hulls have that gap at the bow, think it's a fault in the tooling.

Most builders fill it in, then extend the anechoic tile lines. Some have used an epoxy putty rather than polyester car filler. Epoxy putty is much tougher and resistant to chipping.

Comment

Working...