1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HardRock
    replied
    As I can see BOTH of your hands in these photographs (and having previously determined that you are NOT an octapus), I surmise that you have a PARTNER IN CRIME! Well, what about it Mister? Give up the info. Who took the photographs and more importantly, who can stand to be that close to you?

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    I would love to see just how tiny of a model I could cram a 1.25" SD into. Assuming that's what's in that Skipjack (1/350?) Pool in the back yard is too small to let the big boys stretch their legs, but that might just do the trick.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied

David

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by DMTNT
    I was a little self conscious that I put foam below the waterline on my boat - like I’d done something wrong. Now seeing you do it, I feel more assured.

This has shaped up into an absolutely beautiful little boat. Well done, sir.
    Your apprehension with placing foam below centerline is well founded -- Any buoyant elements at or below the center of gravity produces an upsetting, not a stabilizing, force. I was forced, owing to the limited amount of annular space below the designed waterline between inner hull and SD, to put the foam down low.

However, I was able to maintain the boat statically stable about the roll axis by installing enough fixed ballast weight low and enough buoyant foam high to get the vertical distance between the two lines of force separated enough to produce the needed righting force when the boat rolls.

What is going to save my ass is the righting force produced by the active dorsal rudder set into the trailing edge of the sail as well as that the counter-rotation propellers will produce a near zero torque about the boats longitudinal axis. A dedicated angle keeper will drive the dorsal rudder servo -- working to keep the boat level in roll no matter the maneuver performed underwater.

As you suggest -- it's wise to place the buoyant foam as high within the hull as possible.

Other examples, where I was forced to put some of the buoyant foam low, are illustrated here:

David

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    I was a little self conscious that I put foam below the waterline on my boat - like I’d done something wrong. Now seeing you do it, I feel more assured.

This has shaped up into an absolutely beautiful little boat. Well done, sir.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Subculture
    Think there might be a bug on the forum, posts weren't showing hence the multiple posts.
    Thanks for the heads-up, Andy. I'll tell the Boss.

David

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Think there might be a bug on the forum, posts weren't showing hence the multiple posts.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Almost there. Are you going to shoot some film of the maiden run?

You betcha, Andy. Towards the end of the week I think. From there, paint and weathering and I can put this project to bed.

David

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Almost there. Are you going to shoot some film of the maiden run?

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Almost there. Going to shoot some film of the maiden run?

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    Trimmed the beast today.

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 12-22-2018, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Is this one going to be added to the range of kits, or just a limited run of half a dozen boats?
    I've secured Scott's permission to go commercial with this subject. It's the plan to offer these as full up GRP, resin, and metal r/c submarine kits, Andy. Either Trident, myself, Nautilus Drydocks, or Loyalhanna will do the production work. They'll be available. Whether or not they are a commercial success (many more than a half-dozen sold) is up to you guys.

I'm celebrating my seventh decade on this rock-pile soon and won't be in the game much longer. So, get this **** while you can.

David

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Is this one going to be added to the range of kits, or just a limited run of half a dozen boats?

Leave a comment:

replied
    …..…….… and the thread takes an unexpected, disturbing, and questionable turn.

David

Leave a comment:

Working...