1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Almost there. Going to shoot some film of the maiden run?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Almost there. Are you going to shoot some film of the maiden run?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
          Almost there. Are you going to shoot some film of the maiden run?

You betcha, Andy. Towards the end of the week I think. From there, paint and weathering and I can put this project to bed.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Think there might be a bug on the forum, posts weren't showing hence the multiple posts.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
              Think there might be a bug on the forum, posts weren't showing hence the multiple posts.
              Thanks for the heads-up, Andy. I'll tell the Boss.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                Commander
                • Jun 2018

I was a little self conscious that I put foam below the waterline on my boat - like I’d done something wrong. Now seeing you do it, I feel more assured.

This has shaped up into an absolutely beautiful little boat. Well done, sir.
                Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT
                  I was a little self conscious that I put foam below the waterline on my boat - like I’d done something wrong. Now seeing you do it, I feel more assured.

This has shaped up into an absolutely beautiful little boat. Well done, sir.
                  Your apprehension with placing foam below centerline is well founded -- Any buoyant elements at or below the center of gravity produces an upsetting, not a stabilizing, force. I was forced, owing to the limited amount of annular space below the designed waterline between inner hull and SD, to put the foam down low.

However, I was able to maintain the boat statically stable about the roll axis by installing enough fixed ballast weight low and enough buoyant foam high to get the vertical distance between the two lines of force separated enough to produce the needed righting force when the boat rolls.

What is going to save my ass is the righting force produced by the active dorsal rudder set into the trailing edge of the sail as well as that the counter-rotation propellers will produce a near zero torque about the boats longitudinal axis. A dedicated angle keeper will drive the dorsal rudder servo -- working to keep the boat level in roll no matter the maneuver performed underwater.

As you suggest -- it's wise to place the buoyant foam as high within the hull as possible.

Other examples, where I was forced to put some of the buoyant foam low, are illustrated here:

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                      Commander
                      • Jun 2018

I would love to see just how tiny of a model I could cram a 1.25" SD into. Assuming that's what's in that Skipjack (1/350?) Pool in the back yard is too small to let the big boys stretch their legs, but that might just do the trick.

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

As I can see BOTH of your hands in these photographs (and having previously determined that you are NOT an octapus), I surmise that you have a PARTNER IN CRIME! Well, what about it Mister? Give up the info. Who took the photographs and more importantly, who can stand to be that close to you?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                          As I can see BOTH of your hands in these photographs (and having previously determined that you are NOT an octapus), I surmise that you have a PARTNER IN CRIME! Well, what about it Mister? Give up the info. Who took the photographs and more importantly, who can stand to be that close to you?
                          Hey! That was totally uncalled for, mister! I shower once a month, need it or not!

Who held the camera? My long time pal, Martian War Machine (tripod).

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                                Commander
                                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                Perhaps a dumb question, but I've found that my aft dive plane control rod magnet de-coupling when I apply full throw on the servo. It'll still pull the rod attached to the aft planes, but the connection breaks until the servo returns to neutral and the magnets re-couple. Full throw in the opposite direction isn't an issue as the rod is being pushed.

Comment

Working...