1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

I can't help myself. Here we go again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plans3a.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	126708
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

good choice!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Functional dive brakes?

Comment

• Davidh
        Captain
        • Nov 2010

You going all soft on me doing an American boat?

Dave H

Comment

• Peter W
          Captain
          • May 2011

I'm with David here, that isn't Russian.

Peter

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Busted. I'm sure that the original Russian plans were lifted by the CIA, and the rest is history. Anyway, its a nice size and it just looks GREAT! Oh, and it had dive brakes for god's sake; actual dive brakes.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by HardRock
              Oh, and it had dive brakes for god's sake; actual dive brakes.
              That is a scary thought, dive brakes being needed on our subs! This thing must be a rocket!
              Like your other builds, I look forward to learning from you.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• gantu
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Thanks Mate. That's a new photograph for me.

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

Do you have any more photographs of the brakes? Specifically, where they were located and how many there were. The photograph that you posted shows them further towards the rear than the proile sketch that I have. They also appear to be bigger. I read that there were ten in total so I'm assuming that they were equally spaced; five on each side; none on top and noe below? Also a photograph of the orward escape hatch would be good.

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

This is the progress so far. The basic hull shape is done but there may have to be some revisions when I get hold of the more accurate set of plans that are being sent to me. Stand by for change!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	656.2 KB
ID:	126752

Comment

• Aug 2008

Damned good start on the hull there, Scott. Are you going to cut off the tail-cone and produce that as a separate, hollow cast resin piece like what you did with the BALUGA? Doing so will give you the options of producing not only the phase-3 on up versions, but also the phase-1 and phase-2 versions with their very own unique features at the stern.

For the uninitiated: I'm working with Scott on this 1/96 ALBACORE kit. I'm working up the propellers, sail, masts, hatches, and control surfaces.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

I love those drawings. The plan is to mount the hull on the jig and do all the marking out then decide on the best place to make the tail cone seperation point. I'll hollow mould the tail tone with options for each version ( which will reall just be the locations for plane shafts, I guess). I'm still battling with the National Broad Band Network to get some sort of bandwidth down here. Frustrating.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                            I love those drawings. The plan is to mount the hull on the jig and do all the marking out then decide on the best place to make the tail cone seperation point. I'll hollow mould the tail tone with options for each version ( which will reall just be the locations for plane shafts, I guess). I'm still battling with the National Broad Band Network to get some sort of bandwidth down here. Frustrating.
                            Yeah. They're BuShips/NavSea drawings from the piping training aid book (TAB). A few flaws I've found have been corrected and on the copies I sent you, Scott. In that package are also copies of pictures Ellie and I took from a visit to the boat, now a tourist attraction off I-95. Also enclosed is a copy of an article I did for Sea Classics nearly forty-years ago …. yikes!

Send me three copies of that tail-cone and I'll build up phase-1, and phase-2 tail feathers and turn those units into production masters. Of course that means I'll have to build masters, tools and parts for the bow planes, and two more versions of the sail.

GOD!... I LOVE THIS ****! I haven't really built anything in years! This is real, honest to goodness fun.

Today's work:

Made good progress in the sail master. All done in high-density RenShape. Note the use of indexing pins for the removable top piece. Later, after I hollow out the sail proper I'll work out a platform to act as a foundation for the scopes and masts. Then it's on to separating the trailing edge and turning that into a practical dorsal rudder.

Here's a shot of the 1/60 ALBACORE model I stuck together. The practical dorsal rudder really makes this structure stand out. And to make it work all you need is a dedicated servo and an angle keeper oriented to detect motion about the roll axis.

The X-tail control surfaces are all of the same shape and size, so one master is made to produce a pre-production tool, from which four cast resin masters will be made, and those used to make a production tool.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

You are going like a house on fire. I'd better get moving on my bits or I'll be left behind - no pressure then.

Comment

Working...