1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HardRock
    replied
    Best talk with David on that.

Leave a comment:

• Subculture
    replied
    Are you planning on producing this commercially, or just one or two boats?

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Respect!

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    I've had a few goes at this;

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000623.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	127937

Name:	P4130234.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	127938

Name:	IMG_1729.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	127939

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	127940
    I was never brave enough to install the last one. It was well beyond my comfort zone.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    I admire those guys with those gearboxes, i tried to keep it simple, and it will not take that much room

Name:	P1010034.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	127923

This is the gear inside the Ko Hyoteki, sloppy as can be and not that big, it will be driven by one shaft.

Manfred.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by DrSchmidt
    Never did a counter rotating dsign......but I'd go for a gear in the WTC and seal the drive shafts. Shouldn't be that complicated.....
    Our Navy never licked the sealing problem. Both the ALBACORE and JACK always had significant leakage at the seal(s). I think it a better solution, for us knuckle-dragging model-makers, to put most of the running gear into the wet. This position based on experience I acquired with a 1/60 scale ALBACORE, phase-3.

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-09-2018, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    Never did a counter rotating dsign......but I'd go for a gear in the WTC and seal the drive shafts. Shouldn't be that complicated.....

Leave a comment:

replied
    That looks to be a very well crafted differential type gear-train. I know from hard-learned experience that if you run tightly meshing gears in the water (an incompressible fluid) that the re-bound against the gears will tear up the bearings in no time! The gears have to have a sloppy fit so water can squirt out when the teeth mesh. That warning in mind, that is a very slick looking counter-rotating drive.

David

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    My pleasure...

Leave a comment:

replied
    Good stuff, Doctor. Those examples take the other approach: two motors, the after one on the outer shaft to the forward propeller, the forward motor with its shaft passing through the after motors armature and on to the after propeller. No slip-rings required as the two motors case is fixed to the models structure.

The prices are too good to be true! Brushless motors are easy to blow dry and service after an afternoons play in the water.

Neat!

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Yep. I have one of the smaller ones some time ago that I was planning to use. In the end I sent it to David to play with. I've never run a motor in the wet. Wonder what the life span would be.

Leave a comment:

• DrSchmidt
    replied
    One can actually buy that stuff......

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...423300270.html

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-266.html
    Last edited by DrSchmidt; 10-09-2018, 05:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Why all the mechanics? Why don't you take a slow spinning brushless motor and connect the inner schaft to the shaft of the motor and the outer shaft to the motor housing? Inherently momentum-free.....
    And inherently impossible to purchase. This set up cost me exactly nothing. Made from old gears and spare bearing and shafts and it fits in the rear of the sub quite nicely.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock

Well yes.....but no. There isn't enough room in the arse of this thing to allow much of a dog bone connection to anything. I didn't show it in the photographs but the two driven shafts line up perfectly with the output shafts of the SD. Two pieces of silicon tube will make the connection both simple, direct and noise free. No room for a wet motor either unfortunately although I did consider using a tandem out rigger (but then I realised that I sent the only one I had to YOU!) Helicopters rule - wings are for faries!
    Helicopters don't fly … they simply beat the air into submission!

I hear you about the 'not enough room' issue. I'm working on a very short SD that will leave room for more mechanicals in the ass-end. I'm thinking of replacing the micro servos with linear microbe-sized servos -- that will free up a lot of space. Film at Eleven.

David

Leave a comment:

Working...