1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Looks good, Scott. I'm boxing up all the ALBACORE work from this end and will put it upstairs. Florence will likely flood out the first floor this weekend. Stay tuned.

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    The gel coat is STILL "on the way". Its coming from Queensland, (by yak train, I'm guessing) and its taking ages to get here. Meanwhile I banged a polyester hull out of the moulds to see how it looks.
    This is it with the cast tail cone in place to check the angles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010359.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	127544

And this is the bottom half.

Name:	P1010361.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	503.4 KB
ID:	127545

The moulds have some flaws in that there are air bubbles below the surface that translate into lumps on the surface of the moulded parts. This is the fix

Name:	P1010363.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	127546

The idea is to inject the silicone, squeeze out any air, tape over the hole and let it go off. Seems to work OK.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Progress. The moulds are done. Just waiting on the gelcoat to arrive.

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	127437

The detail looks to be OK.

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	127438

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Wait till you see it with David's sail sitting on top!! - (and the hatches, periscopes and do-dads).

Leave a comment:

• Albion
    replied
    Ive previously been picked up for saying the Albacore is a boring subject, Skip Asay didn't like my comment one bit:0

This completely changes my mind , the shape of this hull, and with the scribed details it looks fantastic, well done sir.

On the subject of snails and speed, a tortoise was recently attached a robbed by a Snail gang. The police brought the tortoise in and asked him to look at mugshots. Sorry says the tortoise i don't recognise any of them, it all happened so fast

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Here you go Tom. Brought to you at the speed of a racing snail; The upper and lower mould.

Name:	P1010357.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	127425

Name:	P1010356.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	127426

They will sit for a few days before I open them up for a look.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    That is funny! I laughed when I read this just imagining the situation.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    "You're already a force to be reckoned with, Scott. Tighten up the glass skills and you will (like me) be, ALL POWERFUL!

David"

You'll think that this is pretty funny, but there was an actual clap of thunder outside when I read this. Yikes - he's everywhere, he's everywhere!!!!!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Hi Mate. Plenty of work going on but great dificulty in posting photographs. We have a thing here called the National Broadband Network which, had it been implemented as planned, would have been excellent. Instead of that the current govenrment decided to implement a "cheaper" version which is less functional - or in my case, not functional at all AND which seesm to have ended up costing more money than the original plan would have. The bottom line is that I now have an internet speed that would have looked puny in the days of dial up modems. They tell me that they will get it fixed - eventually.

I have started making the moulds for the Albacore. The lower one is finished and the upper should be finished this week. I also discoverd that a company here makes gelcoat that is formulated to work with West System epoxy so I have ordered some of that as well. Once it gets here I'm going to start practicing on the old Beluga moulds to try to improve my abysmal lay up skills.
    You're already a force to be reckoned with, Scott. Tighten up the glass skills and you will (like me) be, ALL POWERFUL!

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Hi Mate. Plenty of work going on but great dificulty in posting photographs. We have a thing here called the National Broadband Network which, had it been implemented as planned, would have been excellent. Instead of that the current govenrment decided to implement a "cheaper" version which is less functional - or in my case, not functional at all AND which seesm to have ended up costing more money than the original plan would have. The bottom line is that I now have an internet speed that would have looked puny in the days of dial up modems. They tell me that they will get it fixed - eventually.

I have started making the moulds for the Albacore. The lower one is finished and the upper should be finished this week. I also discoverd that a company here makes gelcoat that is formulated to work with West System epoxy so I have ordered some of that as well. Once it gets here I'm going to start practicing on the old Beluga moulds to try to improve my abysmal lay up skills.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    scott, any updates?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Will do Your Eminence. Thanks.
    I HAVE SPOKEN, SO LET IT BE WRITTEN! (crack of thunder).

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Will do Your Eminence. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Beautiful, Scott. Simply beautiful!

But, tone down the waterline cheat-line -- you want that to be engraved very shallow; just a suggestion of a line, not a declarative statement as it presents now. Screed some air-dry putty into that engraved line and leave it to dry for a couple of days. The putty will shrink a bit leaving a very shallow, almost-not-there waterline for painters to follow when it comes time to mask and weather this thing.

Beautiful!

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    I'm pretty much done. A bit of sanding and fixing small dings to do but that won't take too long. Time to think about rubber!

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	629.2 KB
ID:	127311

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	127312

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg