1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redboat219
    replied
    What's that gadget and what does it do?

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Wow! How on earth did you bend that wire so accurately? Those hatches look great. And in other news; the resin has finally arrived. I'll go and pick it up tomorrow. Hurrah!
    I assume you mean the spiral-wound 'hatch spring'? If so: I simply wrapped some copper wire around a small diameter mandrel. Nothing to it.

Great news on the gel-coat. Get hot!

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Wow! How on earth did you bend that wire so accurately? Those hatches look great. And in other news; the resin has finally arrived. I'll go and pick it up tomorrow. Hurrah!

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Knitting? knitting? hmmmm, I could knit doilies and submarine covers. Well let me play more.....then I will look into knitting. LOL

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by trout
    So how do you turn a dome like the hatches are? I got one ugly chatter marked piece then I tried.
    It's all about a tight head-stock, tool-holder, and tail-stock; RPM's; feed speed; and tool height above/below center. There are charts for materials to guide you as to feed-speed, but I find experience to be the best teacher here.

If things chatter, change the chucks RPM. If it keeps up, reduce your feed speed. If you still can't get away from resonance chatter … take up knitting!

David

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    So how do you turn a dome like the hatches are? I got one ugly chatter marked piece then I tried.

Leave a comment:

replied
    THE GREAT OZ HAS SPOKEN!!! … (hey, kid, get that dog away from my curtain!)

Leave a comment:

• DMTNT
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

David
    Who ARE you??? Good god almighty....

Leave a comment:

replied

David

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Oh Lordy those props look good. Way more pitch on the newer one? I've revised my original plan to go with the shorter, contra rotating version in favour of the larger, 10' foot version. Its looks so radical that I just can't resist it. I also found a place that sells 1mm square ceramic files. Here: http://www.ottofrei.com/Ceramic-Fibe...llar-1mm-x-1mm Looks like I'll be able to file out those little drain holes after all, which is lucky because nothing else worked. Incidently the same crowd used tio make a 1 x 1 mm steel needle file that sold for $67.00 a pop. Strangely they have discontinued it!
    Thanks, Scott, they're shaping up nicely. Yeah, more pitch -- more like what is observed in the photos of the real thing.

I found out what I did wrong on the first attempt: when I positioned the first blade to the hub I used the wrong radius point wedge to angle the blade to the hub. What a dumb-ass!

The replacement wheel has the correct pitch. People may ask why so much more pitch to the after propeller than the one ahead of it. It's because the swirl from the forward propeller presents a lower effective angle of attack flow to the after propeller. So, the after propeller has to have a substantially higher blade angle in order to act like a propeller which has the same pitch as the one ahead of it. The object of the game is to have both propellers of equal relative pitch.

I'm with you, Scott. I'm going with that science-fiction looking original ten-foot spacing of the two wheels. Did it with Skip's 1/60 ALBACORE, might as well do it on your 1/96 ALBACORE:

Thanks for the tip on those ceramic square-files. Neat!

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-15-2018, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Hey … whatever works!

Good luck over there in the land of a thousand-islands, pal.

David

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    We dodged a bullet this week. The hurricane heading our way suddenly took a sharp left-hand turn and headed south of us.

Hurricane Florence can kiss my fat, diabetic, pimple encrusted ass!

David
    That's what probably deflected the storm! Lol!

good to hear you and Ellie are safe.

we over here in the Philippines are riding out our own super typhoon.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Oh Lordy those props look good. Way more pitch on the newer one? I've revised my original plan to go with the shorter, contra rotating version in favour of the larger, 10' foot version. Its looks so radical that I just can't resist it. I also found a place that sells 1mm square ceramic files. Here: http://www.ottofrei.com/Ceramic-Fibe...llar-1mm-x-1mm Looks like I'll be able to file out those little drain holes after all, which is lucky because nothing else worked. Incidently the same crowd used tio make a 1 x 1 mm steel needle file that sold for $67.00 a pop. Strangely they have discontinued it!

Leave a comment:

replied
    We dodged a bullet this week. The hurricane heading our way suddenly took a sharp left-hand turn and headed south of us.

Hurricane Florence can kiss my fat, diabetic, pimple encrusted ass! But, as I post this the good people of the Carolina's are going through hell -- some are dying and many have lost their homes. I trust our currant government administration to insure that everything that can be done for these folk is done!

Anyway …

God damned Scott hit us with those fantastic shots of his first 1/96 ALBACORE hull pull. Show-off!

Time I kicked in a bit too on this project -- keep up my end of the deal. Refining the fillets and finish of the two propeller masters was today's work:

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-14-2018, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Good luck Mate. I hope you are all OK.

Leave a comment:

Working...