Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Ordered the color wheel. Can't seem to find the FSC color chart on eBay or Amazon. Still looking.

Found this.... not paying $349.00!! .... http://www.ams-std-595-color.com/order.html
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 08-08-2021, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
      Ordered the color wheel. Can't seem to find the FSC color chart on eBay or Amazon. Still looking.

Found this.... not paying $349.00!! .... http://www.ams-std-595-color.com/order.html
      Oh! They added four (count them... 4) new colors. Cheap at half the price then.

ARE THEY ****ING CRAZY!?........
      However, that said. Some moron will pay that -- likely a contractor spending government (OUR) money. Just wait till a more reasonable sale shows up, if you pay more than $30.00, you paid too much.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

FSC-STD-595 which is what you have was replaced by AMS-STD-595

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
          FSC-STD-595 which is what you have was replaced by AMS-STD-595

https://www.sae.org/standardsdev/colorchips/
          No biggie. This ain't life-critical stuff, you know. At one point you have to let a little pragmatism in there. You're better off with the old standard, than no standard at all.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

Have the color wheel. Have the Airbrush. Have the primer and hull base colors. Just need to get the red, yellow and blue. Will most of the weathering be covered by all these colors? I think maybe except the hull streaking? For the red, yellow and blue does it matter if they are flat, matte or gloss?

Since I can't find a FSC fan deck, I should be able to use a web site like this.... https://rgb.to/ to get the color I need?

I might be able to use a Pantone fan deck as well to get the colors close? https://www.paintcenter.org/rj/jan05s.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3428.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	152295

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

The previous post was flagged as spam so be sure to look at it when it gets approved.

With the DIY end mill suggested by David, I have the ballast vents grooved out and the PE was glued in place. I tried using CA but could not get it right so I resorted to two part epoxy. I used the tip of a pin to apply the epoxy. For the two vents(?) with solid centers I bored it out with 7/64 drill, same size as ballast vents, then used the DIY end mill. Made it a bit deeper then added a styrene plug the right thickness and glued the PE ring in place. On the hull inside I used CA & baking soda to plug the hull flat.

Also added lift rings(?) around the hatch opening. And opened up the hatch for the hatch that David sent me.

Name:	IMG_3427.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	152303

Name:	IMG_3429.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	152304

Name:	IMG_3439.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	152305

Comment

• Aug 2008

Those 'lifting rings', are McCann rescue-chamber hold-down padeyes. Once the bottom of the chambers skirt seals to the submarines escape trunk seating foundation, differential pressure presses the bell firmly in place. The four turnbuckles between chamber and padeyes insures a solid matting during the crew transfer operation.

Name:	DSCF0219.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	152308
                Attached Files
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

The color wheel arrived. Now to learn how to use it. This might help.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJQoEQxErs

I have the primer and base color (black and charcoal gray) for the upper hull. Need to buy red, yellow and blue. Does it matter if they are flat, matte or gloss?

I can use a web site like this, https://rgb.to/ to convert colors. Since the FSC fan deck is not available I can buy a Pantone one to get close? Bad or good idea? Info here about that, https://www.paintcenter.org/rj/jan05s.php

Name:	IMG_3428.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	152320

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

I sanded the back of all my PE and the scratched behind where it was to be placed. CA worked fine. Just needs something to grip to.
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Thanks Bob for approving my post.

Just to give it a bump, see here.... https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/build...319#post152319 about the color wheel I received.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

I sprayed the upper hull with Rustoleum charcoal gray primer. After two coats the primer had an unexpected fuzziness to it. What to do about that? So I used a scrubby pad and scrubbed the fuzziness away. Started looking pretty good. That's what you see in this picture. To me the result looks pretty good, that splotchy weathered look, I like it.

Name:	IMG_3604.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	152500

Then I used a 5000 grit foam sanding pad to 'polish' the scratches away from the scrubby pad. Looks like a decent weathered surface to me.

Name:	IMG_3607.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	152502

Another picture after 5000 grit pads in different lighting.

Name:	IMG_3608.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	152501

After Subfest I'll still be attempting the hull streaking and further weathering. But will practice on something I make up before attempting it on the SJ.

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

I think it looks good too. I may have to pick up a charcoal gray myself.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

That 'splotchiness' likely resulted from an earlier coat going orange-peel on you, the high-points of the last coat scrubbed away by that abrasive leaving the slight discoloration between coats. A good effect below waterline, but I've never seen it above waterline. Above waterline it's a reasonably smooth surface with the prominent weathering being in the form of streaking.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• wlambing
                              Commander
                              • Nov 2020

Something I do is to use the hot-rod primer as a base coat, then, when thoroughly dry (wait a full day), I rub it all down with an old t-shirt. You'll get the color, as well as the sheen that the 1:1 scale units have. Weather as desired on top of that. The burnishing will still allow enough "tooth" for your weathering application to stick to the base coat.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                That 'splotchiness' likely resulted from an earlier coat going orange-peel on you, the high-points of the last coat scrubbed away by that abrasive leaving the slight discoloration between coats. A good effect below waterline, but I've never seen it above waterline. Above waterline it's a reasonably smooth surface with the prominent weathering being in the form of streaking.
                                David
                                Let me say this David. You've done what, hundreds of models lets say. This will be my first 'weathered' model. First time eventually working with an airbrush. I'm good at lots of things, maybe not so with painting or weathering. But I have you and this forum to guide me, and others. I'll get there somewhat, not to your caliber, not even close. Weathering has many layers. To me it looks like a nice start even if it may not be 'right'. It will get covered a bit so I'll go with what I got. Besides, I like my models to be different than others, hence the unique lighting I will have. And it's all fun.

Originally posted by wlambing
                                Something I do is to use the hot-rod primer as a base coat, then, when thoroughly dry (wait a full day), I rub it all down with an old t-shirt. You'll get the color, as well as the sheen that the 1:1 scale units have. Weather as desired on top of that. The burnishing will still allow enough "tooth" for your weathering application to stick to the base coat.
                                Bill that's my thought and about the method I'm doing. And it's only sort of planned.Wining it as I move along.

Comment

Working...