Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegry
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2013

Thanks guys I appreciate it I am hoping to use one as a visual aid when I check into my next command (I am big on my guys being on the fire party and knowing their DC stuff this might help drive home the why we train so much)

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

PeterW found some excellent High resolution plans. After he went to all that trouble, I thought it only proper that I would zoom in on the nice crisp details and extract some images of the plans. Thanks Peter.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar Bridge floor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	83409Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar Bridge side.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	83410Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar mast top.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	83411Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar mast zoom.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	83412Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar missile tube detail.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	83413Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar Missile tubes and doors.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	83414
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Name:	Oscar Props.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	83415Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar sail bridge internal-001.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	83416Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar sail front.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	83417

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Another one in this series, the bow light. I didnt know, until I looked at this drawing, that it folded down.

Name:	Folddown Bow Light.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	83423

Comment

• Peter W
            Captain
            • May 2011

we live and learn Mark. I also have 2 sides of a kilo plan and what I think is the Akula III Gepard as a set of plans.

Peter

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Nice stuff. Whenever you get afew spare moments, if you are willing, you could email them to me. I would then Graciously take them off your hands.:biggrin:

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Name:	Oscar bow side.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	83504Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar bow zoom.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	83505Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar bow zoom top.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	83506Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar emblems.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	83507Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar mid top.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	83508Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar sail side.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	83509Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar sail top.jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	83510Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar stern side.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	83511Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar stern zoom.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	83512Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar view stern.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	83513

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

As I recall, this thing steers like a pig. How about we do something about it. I am chewing on something................Im thinking of installing bow and stern thrusters. For the purpose of enhanced mobility. HOW? http://www.ebay.com/itm/290948150859...84.m1497.l2649

I ordered one of these. When it arrives and seems suitable, I will put one on each corner of the boat and put a exhaust port facing to the outside. When I want to move away from the shore I can engage two on the same side to push it away. When I want to turn to port, in addition to the rudders ,I can engage one on the port rear and one on the starboard bow. Ill also need to electronic switches and two radio channels.
                  Last edited by greenman407; 02-13-2014, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• roedj
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2008

Perhaps it might help to ask Kevin McHale about this idea. As I recall, thrusters have been tried on the 1/96 model of a Typhoon and while they had some effect while the sub was not moving forward they had very little effect while underway.
                    I'd ask around before spending time and money on this idea.

Dan
                    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

I read a thread on a different forum with Skip Assay about this very topic regarding the Neptune SB-1. Skip said the same thing with any forward motion (or reverse I assumed) the thrusters were not very effective, but with out that motion it would work. So this guy argues with him about it and builds it into his Thunder Tiger and guess what? Skip was right. Sofor pulling away from the dock or shore or meneuvering back to dock, perfect. Turning radius small at stand still also a yes. Other than that increase rudder surface area (or add a clear attachment to the rudder) might be a better move.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

How about an azimuth thruster?

Best to build boats with an aspect ratio of 8:1 or under if you want them to turn well. Copy the fish, they've had it sussed for millennia!

Comment

• reddevil
                          Commander
                          • Jun 2009

Keep in mind the huge underwater ammount of hull this baby has. Unless the thuster is VERY powerfull, its effect won't be noticeable, and less at high speed. In full scale ships, thrusters are only used at low speed (under 3 to 5 knts.) My own proffesional experience at sea confirms this. With my supply ship model, as its thruster is quite powerful, I can make thight turns even at high speed. It's a ROBBE one.

Comment

• vital.spark
                            Commander
                            • May 2010

Similar situation with the Seawolf. The turning radius sucks! (aprox. 20') I tape a extension on the lower rudder for a slight improvement. (aprox.15') It would be interesting to find out what the real life Skippers have to say about these subs?

Comment

• reddevil
                              Commander
                              • Jun 2009

Have a look on ENGEL's web page about side thrusters. Regarding the real ones turning radius, I have commented about with some Spanish Navy submarine officers and the say that there are two things to be considered: 1. Rudders AHEAD propellers. 2. And which is more: part of the rudder OVER the water when surfaced. These makes they all miserably maneuverable when surfaced. Remember they are thought and designed to give their best performance UNDER water and at quite high speed. Mostly all of them have a poor turning radius when surfaced. That's why they all berth and unberth asisted by tugs

Comment

• KevinMc
                                Commander
                                • Feb 2009

While I can't speak to how effective thrusters may or may not be, I can speak to independant control of each of the screws - At medium and low speeds it'll turn your pig into a ballerina. I put an ESC on each screw on my OSCAR about four years back and initially crontrolled them from indepenant controls on the transmitter. This got me a great deal of control over the boat, but was a real challenge to manage. (Constant coordination of two throttles and the rudder was a lot to manage.) Later still I came up with an custom X-tail mixer specifically for driving twin screws (Throttle Jockey) and that took the added workload away. I could parallel park my OSCAR if I had to.

I don't recall if you've got independant control of your screws now, if not I dare say that adding that would be less work then adding thrusters.
                                Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                                KMc Designs

Comment

Working...