Oscar Continued

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greenman407
    replied
    You guys and your dripping bird poop and barnicles and rust!!! Ill go this far........if you fly all the way to Zephyrhills, Florida U.S.A., to my house, from Austrailia..........well then I guess ill get out my airbrush and compressor and let you have your way with it. As it is I know that I WILL mess it up if I try. Thats why I go as far as flat finish and let it go. After all, on real life subs, its shiny on the day of launching, its flat on the second day! So therefore the paint IS true to scale........sort of
    Last edited by greenman407; 10-25-2016, 06:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Davidh
    replied
    Mark,

Trust me, You want to say yes to this, heck if Scott wants to sneak over and weather my boats I ain't going to say no, he is "Da Meister".....

david h

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    I just love your Oscar Mark, but I have an almost irrestible urge to sneek over there and WEATHER it in the night when you are not looking!!!!

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Additional pictures
    Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	117061Click image for larger version

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	117062Click image for larger version

Name:	023.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	117063

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Surprise.....surprise......Im not surprised at all! Comparing the smaller pond pump with the new larger one, I see absolutely No performance difference, yet the makers claim a tremendous increase in volume. Sorry, its all exaggerated anyway. So I decided to put the older model in the boat because they are smaller. Ive got half a mind to send the new ones back, but I think its probably more trouble than its worth. At anyrate, I determined the location of the non-scale thruster nozzles and drilled and installed the 1/4" diameter brass tube nipples near the four corners of the submarine at least a half inch below the waterline...Then I siliconed the four pumps in place after drilling holes in the bulkheads for the output hoses and the input wires. Its a start. Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	117056Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	117057Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	559.1 KB
ID:	117058Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	117059

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    OMG!!!!! The Kobiashi Maru finally arrived! The little Sampan showed up and dropped off these thruster motors that I have been awaiting for what seems to be an ETERNITY!!! How do they expect you to leave good feedback. I ordered these so long ago that I forgot that I had ordered them in the first place(rambling on blah blah and blah) If youll notice in the picture, the first ones I ordered a couple of years ago is shown on the left. The new ones is of course on the right. Ill be testing them today to make sure.

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	117033

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Positioning some of the appliances, or should I say "Components". I have to adjust the timing on the motors because one will turn CCW and the other CW. Since these motors like some timing advance, it has to be advanced in the right direction, otherwise its retarded timing. So looking at the props on the Oscar, the starboard prop must turn CW (looking from the rear) for forward movement. Therefore the motor must turn CCW because of the gearbox. Therefore the port motor is the one that I need to change the timing by adjusting the endbell. Because CCW is proper rotation for these motors. The starboard motor will be good as is. Also Ive been giving some thought to electrical wiring. Since the BEC, Snort pump and six(6) ESCs have to be wired up to the main power input, I ordered some mini screw terminal strips. That should simplify things somewhat. The micro servos are in as well as the Sombra SL-8. Also the snort pump is in place.
    Since I am using micro servos the servo arms are shorter than what I was using with the standard servos. This will translate into reduced throw of the stern planes and rudders. That AINT Gonna wuk! So I ordered some extended servo arms for them. Catch Ya Latr.
    Last edited by greenman407; 10-31-2016, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    I will need three non factory penetrations thru the back plate of the motor bulkhead. One for Power to the batt WTC, one for ADF2 up in batt. WTC and one for forward mounted bow planes servo. I will use one of the pushrod openings and also there is a plugged up hole right dead center that I can drill out.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    AND THANK GOD FOR JUNK DRAWERS!!! I would be lost without it. But keep in mind that you have to contribute to your "Junk" drawer regularly with all discarded and extra screws washers and nuts. Otherwise your junk drawer wont have enough variety to pay for itself.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    The washers that you see in the picture on the motor holding screws ended up being too big, they prevented the bulkhead halves from completly closing up tight, so I dug thru my "Junk" drawer until I fouund smaller washers. Otherwise they hit and prevent the motor bulkhead halves from pulling up completely closed flush. Then after you are satisfied with everything you can tack those washers with CA so that your new holes will always be in the same place for alighnment. That is if the washers have a good fit to the diameter of the screws without "sloop".
    Last edited by greenman407; 10-16-2016, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Since the new motors are slightly bigger than the stock motors...........I had to fine tune there alignment. As it was they were going to be rubbing on the inside of the tube, perhaps causing the orings not to seal. So I slotted the motor mounting holes in the bulkhead, got some slightly longer screws so that I could put washers on them. If you are going to do this......save yourself some headaches. Take the shafts out and put them in on the backside of the motor bulkhead like you see in the picture. That way you can set the lash with the gear already meshed, without going back and forth putting it on and taking it off and driving yourself BONKERS! How do I know this?........You guessed it.

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	116881

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied

Name:	image_33044.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	116734Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	116741Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	116742Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	116743Click image for larger version

Views:	98
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	116744Click image for larger version

Name:	image_33038.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	116728 While we are at it, and we have this thing stripped down and starting over, we might as well throw in some higher capacity motors. These are "Team Brood" Handwound 19 turn motors. They are fan cooled and very Robust . Had to get the pinion gear off the old motors and get them attached to the new motors. Also, I am using a different servo than was probably considered for this Sub-driver so I had to move the servo supports to accommodate these Hitec metal geared HS-82MG Micro servos.With all the "Stuff" that Ive got to squeeze in here, I am contemplating component placement location pros and cons.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	007.JPG Views:	2 Size:	29.3 KB ID:	116736
    Click image for larger version  Name:	005.JPG Views:	2 Size:	32.4 KB ID:	116737
    Click image for larger version  Name:	004.JPG Views:	2 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	116738
    Click image for larger version  Name:	002.JPG Views:	2 Size:	29.8 KB ID:	116739

Last edited by greenman407; 10-10-2016, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    This Just In.....literally. My new 3.5" motor bulkhead. It has two o-rings instead of the one. Also, it has internal gearing. Thanks Dave.....you are da man!

Views:	106
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	116418

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    So here is the waterproof plug connector that I will use to connect the thrusters mounted to the floor of the hull to the insides of the dryspace of the Subdriver.Click image for larger version

Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	116279Click image for larger version

Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	116280

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Its gonna be five plus weeks on delivery of the new thruster pumps. In the meantime Dave suggested that I take this oppurtunity to change the dryspace engine compartment bulkhead setup to a more modern one. I agreed and am waiting on the new unit. Once that arrives I can start the process. The only other thing I can do while I am awaiting arrival of the new stuff is to install the brass flow tubes in the hull at the four corners. I think its gonna be a gooden.

Leave a comment:

Working...