Oscar Continued

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greenman407
    replied
    Thank you John, its been a long a trying road. There were a lot of outside influences that caused this project to take so long. The model itself was not so bad. As you know, I had this sub operational long before the painting and detailing work began. So, I should be able to put it back in the water and adjust the trim and it'll be ready to go again. The present schedule has it that it'll be done by this weekend at the present rate that the work is progressing.

Leave a comment:

• Slats
    replied
    Mark this has been very enjoyable to follow. This boat is constantly coming alive - good job, looks like an interesting boat for art work. The more I look at it the more I think the Russians turned this over to a Tattoo parlour worker and and said knock yourself out.
    Well done
    J

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    The over the weekend tests on the polyurethane over the decals then covered with Floquil flat is finished. It came out well so I am applying the polyurethane over the decals as we speak. Since there are no decals on the lower part of the lower hull, I sprayed that last Friday. Looks good..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 237.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	64796Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 238.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	64797

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Mist coats to start -- don't melt your dry-transfers. Run the clear-coat test on a discarded model using the same methodology you plan to use on your OSCAR.

David

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Yep, I think that Ill do that. But first Ill have to run some tests. Ill spray some gloss polyurethane on and let it dry on a test piece. Then Ill come back with the floquil and spray over that. If that works then I will tape off the surrounding areas around the larger decals and spray the decal area only with the Urethane. After it dries Ill remove the tape and spray all with the clear flat Floquil. That will introduce a delay into my schedule but I think that it will be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Im kinda between a rock and a hard place on that one. I cant find a body shop thats willing to do it and I dont blame them. My testing with other clear coats have produced unsatisfactory results with appearance. I have had excellent results with the Floquil. Since I know of no other alternative Im going to spray it with the Floquil and just be careful not to run it into anything. A scratch or two here or there just adds character. An even exchange the last time it had a s****e with a Los Angelos class. It just ocurred to me that on the large decals I could spray them over with the Polyurethane and then the next day spray everything over with the floquil to even things out. I might try that.
    Last edited by greenman407; 10-12-2011, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    You have done Vlad's kit justice, Mark. Well done!

Don't screw up the clear-coat!

David

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Well dad blamit, I forgot to put up this shot of the marker light on the bow. Ill be applying the clear flat tommorow and ill get pictures up by Friday night.Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	64664

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    The windshield was next, aligning it properly and CAing it on with out making a mess.

Name:	Transfer 233.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	64660
    Also out came the paint brush and some black to touch up the front Banner at the bottom. There......thats better.

Name:	Transfer 234.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	64661
    Then came the fantastic Kevin Mcleod manfg. escape buoy marker thing. Consulting the drawing I wanted it oriented properly with the white and red bands where they were supposed to be and the small white radial bands where they are supposed to be. It was then CAed down.

Name:	Transfer 236.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	64662Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 235.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	64663

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Oh , and by the way, dont be surprised when you get to your window frame installation if the frames dont fit down into the recesses cause mine didnt. But I wasnt about to take a Dremel to that paint job. I glued them on the outside. You cant tell unless you have a look with a magnifying glass, there so small. Tomorrow, windshield install and final touch up of sail.
    Last edited by greenman407; 10-10-2011, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied

Name:	Transfer 173.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	64652Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 174.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	64653Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 218.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	64654Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 219.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	64655
    This teeny tiny light proved to be a challenge to get it taped and painted and to make it look like it wasn't done by a amateur. It helps to complete the Russian "LOOK". You know, the white painted frames and where applicable, sonar windows. Gotta have it, although I have seen Oscars with and without.
    Last edited by greenman407; 10-11-2011, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Installation of the masts. All nine of em.

Name:	Transfer 231.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	64650Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 232.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	64651

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Yep, this too long running project will soon be done. It is my hope to test everything and get lots of video on the 26th of Oct. Myself and Al Nuci and Aquadeep will be meeting at Blue Springs, just like last year. Then its on to the next project which will be the Duo-prop setup on the Albacore. I just cant wait. Hopefully within a couple of months that will be done and then its on to the Skydiver. Pray for me..........................

Leave a comment:

replied
    ... almost there, Mark. Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    In the second picture you can see evidence of an experiment. To attach these tiny window frames I used model airplane glue(sparingly) to hold them in place. Then to help simulate clear glass I filled up the space inside of the window frame with gap filling CA, hoping that when it dried it would look like glass. Some of them came out good. But a couple of them did WEIRD things , like crack. One(right center front) looks like a barrage of machine gun bullets hit it from inside. An obvious sign of a mutiny! Well ill touch up the few degenerates and all will be well..................I think. Also the front sail decal has a little mismatch between the red background and the white stripe at the top and center of the bottom. Thatll get touched up as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...